Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #1

should i add a second AC

I have a 2018 264BH with a 13500 btu. we are planning some trips next year and the year after one to Myrtle Beach, SC and the other a 3 week trip out west. both trips in July.

will the factory AC be enough to keep us cool or should we look at getting a second AC that has its own power cord that will run on 15 amp service.
looking at adding a Polar Cub 9,200 BTU.

Attached are the prints for my roof it looks like it was framed in to have a second AC in the bedroom,but I am not sure if there is a way to rout the wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof Assy_Page_1.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roof Assy.pdf (162.3 KB, 7 views)
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #2

Lot a work and expensive,in Phoenix one air would not be enough! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #3

We have a 2018 26bh, I believe with the same AC. This was our first season having a camper and I was worried about the AC. I heard all the horror stories of how if it’s 100 degrees outside it’ll only bring it down to maybe 80, etc. We went in several trips around the Midwest and south where it was over 100 with the heat index and extremely humid and our AC brought it down to 72 no problem. Only issue is the bottom bunk has no vent and there’s no insulation between it and the storage. It gets a little warmer. Search the forum for things to do to help keep it cool as well, I’m not wanting to rehash it out on here. They’re all cheap and help a lot.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nddan21 View Post
We have a 2018 26bh, I believe with the same AC. This was our first season having a camper and I was worried about the AC. I heard all the horror stories of how if it’s 100 degrees outside it’ll only bring it down to maybe 80, etc. We went in several trips around the Midwest and south where it was over 100 with the heat index and extremely humid and our AC brought it down to 72 no problem. Only issue is the bottom bunk has no vent and there’s no insulation between it and the storage. It gets a little warmer. Search the forum for things to do to help keep it cool as well, I’m not wanting to rehash it out on here. They’re all cheap and help a lot.
we haven't been any place hot yet, but i did notice that lower bunk doesn't have good air flow. I use a clip on fan in that bunk. i didn't think about the insulation.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #5

My issue with my 2018 25BH is there's only one vent in the master bedroom so if the doors are closed, it doesn't get very cool. I've been looking at portable A/C units that don't need to have a tank drained. I've heard portables aren't very good, but I'm still looking around.
Tim15856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

I wouldn't do it. We have a 27BHS and hardly ever have to use the 2nd AC. It's not worht the investment IMO. Plus, typically, that second AC isn't on a thermostat and is only dedicated to the master bedroom....which is WAY too much AC for that little space.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim15856 View Post
My issue with my 2018 25BH is there's only one vent in the master bedroom so if the doors are closed, it doesn't get very cool. I've been looking at portable A/C units that don't need to have a tank drained. I've heard portables aren't very good, but I'm still looking around.
I'm not sure what is meant by 'not very good' about portables. We have one for our bedroom in our 'sticks and bricks'. It has a digital thermostat and a remote control. It does a good job at cooling and dehumidifying during the monsoon months here in AZ. Yes, they have limitations etc., but, considering their cost, those are manageable, IMO. Ours does have a tank, but we've never needed to drain it (YMMV). The excess moisture is is used during the heat-exchange process and is vented outside through the exhaust duct.

The single-hose type portable needs two 'vents' to operate: One to blow hot air outside AND another to pull air in from someplace ('someplace' = either the outside or another living area). Probably creating a way to connect the exhaust host to vent the hot air outside would be the biggest challenge. There may be enough space under the bedroom door to air into the room (there would be in our TT).

Other issues with a portable would be room to position the portable when using it, where to secure it when moving, and, for some people, the noise.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I'm not sure what is meant by 'not very good' about portables. We have one for our bedroom in our 'sticks and bricks'. It has a digital thermostat and a remote control. It does a good job at cooling and dehumidifying during the monsoon months here in AZ. Yes, they have limitations etc., but, considering their cost, those are manageable, IMO. Ours does have a tank, but we've never needed to drain it (YMMV). The excess moisture is is used during the heat-exchange process and is vented outside through the exhaust duct.

The single-hose type portable needs two 'vents' to operate: One to blow hot air outside AND another to pull air in from someplace ('someplace' = either the outside or another living area). Probably creating a way to connect the exhaust host to vent the hot air outside would be the biggest challenge. There may be enough space under the bedroom door to air into the room (there would be in our TT).

Other issues with a portable would be room to position the portable when using it, where to secure it when moving, and, for some people, the noise.
It's just that Consumer Reports doesn't think much of them and I've seen a few reviews that aren't crazy about them. I've been looking at this one for it's small footprint considering the lack of room in the 25BH bedroom. I should be able to vent out the bedroom window.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EdgeStar-...-Onyx/52439646
Tim15856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #9

I'm not real crazy about ours, either, but it serves a purpose: On a hot, muggy, summer night, I'm really happy we have it and will get a good night's sleep!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #10

We were in Myrtle Beach Labor Day week......according to my thermometer it was in the mid nineties every day. Our TT is a 2018 27RL with 1- 15000btu ac unit. We kept the thermostat on 72 with the black out shades down and Reflectex in the windows. The inside temp hit 80 a few times but never got really uncomfortable because the unit was running constantly keeping the humidity in the low 30’s.
57Model is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Model View Post
We were in Myrtle Beach Labor Day week......according to my thermometer it was in the mid nineties every day. Our TT is a 2018 27RL with 1- 15000btu ac unit. We kept the thermostat on 72 with the black out shades down and Reflectex in the windows. The inside temp hit 80 a few times but never got really uncomfortable because the unit was running constantly keeping the humidity in the low 30’s.
80's it too hot for me i'm spoiled i guess.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #12

We have a similar unit-- 26bh. We do have the upgraded a/c (15k BTU) and thermal package.
I was concerned about the a/c not keeping up in our Texas heat, but it worked well for us this summer in the upper 90s, maybe even low 100s in South Texas this summer. When I added reflectix sunshades to the skylights and two windows, the a/c practically froze us out of it. We got cold at night.

I think you will be okay unless you are in the southwest in the summer.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote