Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
blderman what did you really proof? To me it didn't proof anything except a noisy Ford.
I have had more Fords in my life than any other make I just was happy with the product and did what I expected from the vehicles. After I bought a couple of Ford Aerostar's I lost my faith in Ford. I drove the Ford Screw and for some reason I wasn't sure of that truck. So went shopping to the Dodge, liked the 1/2 truck with the 5.7 HEMI and it does what I expect from it.
I not expect it to go 75 mph on a long incline pass, I'm not into truck racing. If the Ford wants to pass me fine, If Toyota and Chevy wants to pass me fine. As long I have comfort in driving my combo and it does the job I'm happy. Next time I go shopping it might be a Ford again or maybe a Chevy or Toyota. We all make our own choices by information we get and short through. Also I'm looking at the dollars and sense.

Arkhillbilly: I had in the late 70's an E150 with hwy gears put could pull the 2.5 ton TT comfortable. After going to 4.10 it was a big improvement. It maintained a proper hwy speed for those days pulling this TT. That time I think the 3.51 was 225 HP. Now my 2014 5.7 L (3.51) HEMI puts out 395 HP. It didn't change the fuel consumption when traveling loaded with a TT with about the same weight. Driving the single truck empty certainly did.
I am not sure what you mean?? I didn't post anything on a Ford, it was a Ram 6.4.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
IIRC, in that test, he punched the manual shift so he could see what gear he was in, which to my understanding changes the shift programming (ERS Mode according to the manual). Perhaps I'm wrong. Either way though, if the RAM is protecting itself from blowing up by racing up a hill, I'm really okay with that. I don't need to be first to the top, so long as I get there safe every time.

My Ram with 6.4 has 3K payload; no readily available EcoBoost powered truck has that capacity. An ecoboost might beat me up the hill a few times yanking IT'S max load, but it will not "run circles" day in and day out hauling the RAM's max load. Plus, a 3/4 ton truck is designed to work that hard every day of its life.

My point: Max out the Ford, then put that load on the RAM (which will be under it's max) and put them next to eachother and run them. Then run them like that every day. My bet is the RAM will come out on top in the end.

Don't get me wrong, the EcoBoost is a fine motor, very capable. But it's still a 1/2T class truck. AND the heavy duty RAM with 6.4 is no slouch either.

I am not sure what you are getting at as the OP asked about towing a 23MBH not carrying a 3,000lb payload. I have a 23MBH and felt I could give him some direct insight. I am NOT a Ford fan at all, as I said, if I had it my way I would be in a Ram 2500 right now. A year ago when I was looking at trucks I was dead set on getting a Ram 6.4. I have a 10 page thread about it over on rv.net. A few days before I pulled the trigger on the 6.4 I decided to look at an Ecoboost due to a number of people providing positive reviews on them. Towing the same load up the same hill (hwy 26 over Mt.Hood in Oregon) the Ecoboost easily walked from the 6.4. I was shocked as it wasn't what I expected at all. I think Ram made a big mistake by putting the 66RFE transmission behind the 6.4. The gear ratios are just way too far apart for towing, you can go 70mph in 2nd gear!

Anyway, I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, just trying to help the OP sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post
I feel I'm educated now when it comes to buying my next truck.
- I don't need diesel.
- towing 5500+1000 cargo/passengers a 1/2 ton gasser is enough if it's Max'd - can tow 10-12000 lbs.
- still got 1 eye in a lightly used 3/4 2500/250 should one come on market- I can wait.
-even tho I'm saying no diesel, the new Titan xd 5l diesel coming on market intrigues me-see what that does in real-world.
- don't understand fords beefier Eco-engine-if towing drops to under 10mpg towing, what's Eco about it.
-I won't trade apples for apples. Various dealers I called suggested TT's that can tow 8+k. I will trade up to moderate overkill w a 20/12k max.
thx for all the great points-of-view-��

OK as it seems that the OP has received the info they needed and this thread is turning into another truck war. The thread will now be closed.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Closed Thread