Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2022, 04:51 PM   #1

Should Slide be level?

I have a question that I need some help with. When I put my slide out should it be level, or should the end of the slide be tilted down, so the water will run away from the trailer. Tks for the Replied.

Reboot
Reboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:02 PM   #2

While you’ll likely see one of the more seasoned RV vets here comment, I would recommend it be level so that you don’t risk screwing up any alignment of the gear mechanism.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:26 PM   #3

If I'm following your question correctly, as gabob stated, it's recommended to level your rv first before extending slides. Most all of the slide roofs I have seen have a built in pitch that directs water away from the RV.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Reboot,

I agree, level RV first then open slide(s).

For enhanced moisture intrusion protection, confirm that the vertical and horizontal wiper seals are making contact with the slide walls/roof surface.

Also, the vertical and horizontal wiper seals should overlap at the two top corners of the slide as well (no gap/opening).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
should the end of the slide be tilted down, so the water will run away from the trailer.Reboot
This is not necessary. Just set up camp and level as best you can. If one had slides on each side; how would they tilt each "down"?

The seals atop the slide are to seal water entry and note @Rustic Eagle post for side seals and as stated by @ARoamer; the slide roof has a pitch to route water out from entry.

A slide should not leak, level or unlevel.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:49 AM   #6

Not sure slides are always supposed to be absolutely level. It's a lot of weight hanging off the side of a trailer. If you watch a slide, when it gets near the end of travel outward, it'll touch at the top then kick the bottom up, pitching the slide up, then settle down. As far as I know, this is the only piece of mind as far as the slide being level. I'm sure Jayco realizes the slide with a refrigerator in it needs to be close. I have seen people use slide supports. But they're mainly for movement purposes, not leveling. The unit is made to be "ready" when the unit is leveled and slides are out. That being said, if it's extremely out of level...then there's problem.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:33 AM   #7

I agree with the consensus here. Level first and then put out the slide(s). If all your slides are on one side, you may need to make sure all your jacks are making contact with the ground on the opposite side. If you are concerned about water run off, just make sure all your side seals are not rolled or folded in once the slide is out. Also, you can look into adding slide toppers to prevent water and debris from standing on top of the slide. Toppers prevent bringing any unwanted water and debris inside the FW when closing up.

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:46 AM   #8

Don’t have any slides, but I have seen very many in campgrounds tilted down. I have always wondered why they were not level.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:21 PM   #9

First, I concur that one should level the trailer first and then deploy the slides. Unless there is a defect, they are engineered to function as designed, and that includes the wipers and seals that are designed to keep water out. My concern with any slide that is tilted is that the force generated by one's weight at the far end of the slide will eventually cause problems. This is something mechanically waiting to fail. Think of this like a diving board, what happens when you walk out to the end.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:29 AM   #10

Dumb question, what does the owners manual say? I’ll bet it says to level either before or after extending the slides.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Dumb question, what does the owners manual say? ...........snip
Jayco manual(s) concur with prior posts.......; "Level the RV prior to extending the slideout." (Section 5: Slideout Systems)

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:58 PM   #12

I'm not so sure OP was asking if they should be setting their trailer up sloped.

When my trailer is level, my slide floor is level, but the roof of my slide has a slight slope away from the trailer.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
I have a question that I need some help with. When I put my slide out should it be level, or should the end of the slide be tilted down, so the water will run away from the trailer. Tks for the Replied.

Reboot

If you level the camper first then open the slide, the camper will lean toward the slide. I have friends that open the slide first and then level the camper.
You're probably worrying that water will drain down into the camper or pool on the top of the slide. For this and other reasons, consider getting a slide topper.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:23 PM   #14

Not only do you level before the slide goes out...I also stay connected to power. Either keep TV connected or plug into shore power. You want good power to the slide motors!

Here's another trick. I always level with a slight bias on the side opposite the main slide. This way when you do finally put the slide out, the rig leans a degree or two toward the slide side and is perfectly level.

Then and only then do I disconnect TV and put down stabilizers.

As far as water? Buy a slide topper as mentioned earlier. Also keeps leaves and debris off of the top of the slide.
D
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctardi View Post
When my trailer is level, my slide floor is level, but the roof of my slide has a slight slope away from the trailer.
I believe this statement will answer the OP's question. This is how all slides should be after deployment.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:37 PM   #16

Level first, reason you could damaged the slides to where they will not go out or back in. This is one reason I have toppers on mine to divert the rain water. Also if not level and slides go out you could twist the frame also.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 03:19 PM   #17

Leveling

My Precept 31ul says to level, put out the slides, then level again.
18PRECEPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:14 AM   #18

Quote:

Reboot
BEST PRACTICE is RV leveled before EXTENDING slides, and pray their TOPS/ AWNINGS end with slopes that drain water AWAY from RV vs to interior. BEST PRACTICE is also to RETRACT slides for storms, high winds, SNOWS AND STORAGE. Never any fun to find water drained to interior, or slide will NOT retract because of debris or snow. Good Luck
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:19 PM   #19

I have two jacks I put underneath the slide, one on each end so more stable
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote