Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #1

Should the furnace work with slide in?

Hello all,
We bought a used 2015 jayflight 264bh and love it. Tested everything twice before we bought it, all seemed ok. My wife is out cleaning it and wanted to run the furnace... but it will not kick on... doesn't even try.
Only thing I can think of is that it will not operate with the slide in...
Propane is good, as are batteries...
Retched1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retched1 View Post
Hello all,
We bought a used 2015 jayflight 264bh and love it. Tested everything twice before we bought it, all seemed ok. My wife is out cleaning it and wanted to run the furnace... but it will not kick on... doesn't even try.
I have never seen a RV that has a furnace with a "slideout cutout switch", but I suppose it could be possible. My question - Does the furnace always work when the slide is open and never when the slide is in?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Hello all,
Does the fan come on and the propane not ignite? Or do you get nothing? A weak battery will cause it not to ignite. There should be a reset switch on the top of the furnace, may have to remove a grill to get too it.. Did you light the stove top to bleed air out of the propane line? I assume your tanks are on.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Do you have shore power or only running on battery?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I have never seen a RV that has a furnace with a "slideout cutout switch", but I suppose it could be possible. My question - Does the furnace always work when the slide is open and never when the slide is in?
I know it worked when it was out, and know it doesn't work right now... but I can not slide the slide out where it's parked... unless I move it... which is a pain...
I'll open the furnace cover and check for 12v, and see what I can find.
Retched1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #6

Should the furnace work with slide in?

Slide being in won’t matter. It should still work.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:16 PM   #7

The 264bhw doesn't have a slide, I had a 2015 26BHS which is probably what you have....I can't recall if I ever turned on the furnace with the slide in....

You don't have a cover or tarp tightly on the trailer do you?
If the combustion motor can't vent outside properly, the furnace shouldn't fire.
Residential furnaces have air proving switches.....not sure what rv furnace use to prove.
theoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #8

When our slides are in the furnace is blocked. I don't know if it would work, but wouldn't want to try it.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #9

Make sure the stove and fridge will light. It is possible that you have an air lock somewhere. Also most furnaces have a safety switch that triggers after 3 attempts of lighting. To over ride this feature on most units you will have to turn it off at the switch and wait a few minutes for the gas to dissipate then try to light again. The hot water tank has a simular feature. Make sure the outside vents have enough ventilation

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:19 AM   #10

I had a recent similar experience, but it was the gas bottles! I had both 30’s filled at the hardware store in the morning. That night the furnace would not ignite. Did the “try three times and then quit” routine. I switched bottles from left to right... nothing. No cooktop range, no gas water heater either!

I then hooked up my tiny 1gallon (5 lb) bottle by itself and Shazam! Everything lit right up and stayed ignited!

I brought the bottles back to the filling station and asked them to do a purge. About 30 seconds of time passed while the purge vent was open before we saw any liquid propane.

BOTH my bottles had huge air bubbles at the top, and st such cold temps... the propane (heavier than air) wasn’t building enough back pressure to force the air out.

I did attempt to vent some air while at the campground, but it wasn’t effective. The bottles needed some incoming propane to push the air bubbles out the vent.

I would check to see if you need to have the propane bottles purged.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
I know it worked when it was out, and know it doesn't work right now... but I can not slide the slide out where it's parked... unless I move it... which is a pain...
I'll open the furnace cover and check for 12v, and see what I can find.
Several have suggested things to check. To pin this down you just have to get your facts straight. Do you have gas at the range? Does the fridge work on gas? If these are "YES", then its not a propane tank issue. Eliminate that. When you move the tstat to heat setting, does the fan come on? If yes, does it run for a few minutes but no heat? Did you go thru the furnace on several times, letting it run for a few minutes each time? If yes on these multi attemps to fire the furnace but still no heat, there is something wrong that is preventing the furnace from lighting. Remove the panel to expose the furnace. Go thru the sequence again while you watch and listen to see what is going on with the furnace. Do you hear a repeated "clicking" sound? That would be the igniter attempting to light the furnace. If it still doesn't light then my guess is you are not getting gas to the furnace or there is a blockage in the gas line feeding the furnace. Do you smell any propane when you listening to the igniter?

Now the slide. It may be a pain but moving the TT and opening the slide needs to be done to find the problem. If the furnace still won't light with the slide out, then you know the problem wasn't caused by the slide being in. If it does light with the slide extended then the problem does have something to do with the closed slide. Where is the slide in relation to the furnace. I had a TT that had the furnace under one of the bench seats on the slide. When the slide was extended there had to be a flexible gas hose. If your TT has this arrangement, I would guess that the problem is a crimped hose when the slide closes.

Have you talked to the previous owner to see if they ever experienced the same problem?

If all this fails then you need to have an RV service facility take a look at the problem.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #12

A call to Jayco with your vin # will get you the answer if the furnace will run with the slide in.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Be sure the manual switch on the TH is to the ON position.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote