Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wauconda, IL
Posts: 113
Should we get the 2nd air conditioner in bedroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
I would get the 2nd AC. You can use a 20 amp - 30 amp y cord to get 50 amp service. Most parks that have 30 amp service also have 20 amp service at the same pedestal. This allows you to get 50 amp service. The other benefit is you are less likely to have power problems in your coach if you are using 120v appliances.
Not entirely accurate. If the OP has a TT... he won't get 50a past the 30a breaker on the main panel.

With a TT the best option would be to wire up the 2nd AC so that it could be operated off of its own 20a service. That way you can keep the 30a to the TT... and 20a to the 2nd AC.
__________________

__________________
Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Renton
Posts: 516
I meant that if he gets the one with 2 ac units that comes from the factory with 50 amp service. You can use the y cord to get 50 amps from a 30 amp plug plus a 20 amp plug. If the unit comes from the factory with only 30 amp service you either need to change the panel or wire another cord because you can't run two ac units off of 30 amps.
__________________

__________________
Michael
Old setup:
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LT with a 2004 Jayco JayFlight 29BHS
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Moving Target's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Palominas, AZ
Posts: 330
Our friends who we camp with have a 26RLS and we camp in AZ. The one AC unit will not cool off the bedroom. They supplement with fans.
__________________

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
TexasA&M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockhart View Post
Not entirely accurate. If the OP has a TT... he won't get 50a past the 30a breaker on the main panel.

With a TT the best option would be to wire up the 2nd AC so that it could be operated off of its own 20a service. That way you can keep the 30a to the TT... and 20a to the 2nd AC.
New TTs that have a second A/C are also offered with 50 amp service. I wish this had been an option when I ordered mine because I would have definitely checked that box! As it is, I'm looking to add a second ducted unit, but wire it separately to bypass the trailer wiring and go directly to the pedestal. The unit I'm looking at draws 14 amps, so it could be plugged into a standard plug on the pedestal.
__________________
'11 G2 32BHDS
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Renton
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
New TTs that have a second A/C are also offered with 50 amp service. I wish this had been an option when I ordered mine because I would have definitely checked that box! As it is, I'm looking to add a second ducted unit, but wire it separately to bypass the trailer wiring and go directly to the pedestal. The unit I'm looking at draws 14 amps, so it could be plugged into a standard plug on the pedestal.
Exactly what I was saying before! I was trying to make the point that having 50 AMP service is better than 30 AMP service and you still can get 50 AMP service even if the pedestal only has a 30 AMP plug because you can use a 30 AMP + 20 AMP Y cord to 50 AMP female adapter cord which will allow you to get the needed 50 AMPs to run both AC units. Here is an example: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...art-leds/71205
Other posters commented that it can be hard to find 50 AMP service in some locations. The above adapter allows a solution for most parks. Having 50 AMP service gives you maximum flexibility. I really wished I had it for my TT and now for my MH.
__________________
Michael
Old setup:
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LT with a 2004 Jayco JayFlight 29BHS
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
Exactly what I was saying before! I was trying to make the point that having 50 AMP service is better than 30 AMP service and you still can get 50 AMP service even if the pedestal only has a 30 AMP plug because you can use a 30 AMP + 20 AMP Y cord to 50 AMP female adapter cord which will allow you to get the needed 50 AMPs to run both AC units. Here is an example: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...art-leds/71205
Other posters commented that it can be hard to find 50 AMP service in some locations. The above adapter allows a solution for most parks. Having 50 AMP service gives you maximum flexibility. I really wished I had it for my TT and now for my MH.
Unless the 20 amp is a ground fault receptacle, it will trip the ground fault.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Renton
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Unless the 20 amp is a ground fault receptacle, it will trip the ground fault.
I could be wrong but I don't think it will trip the GFI outlet. GFI outlets work by detecting current draw that does not return through the neutral line (E.G. if someone is grounded and touches the hot line). In the case of the Y cords the neutral lines are usually connected together as are the ground lines. The two hot lines are kept separate in the wiring and in the panel inside the coach. In theory, if the Y cord had only one neutral line connected - say from the 30 AMP side and left the 20 AMP neutral open with no connection then you could (most likely would) trip the GFI outlet on the 20 AMP side however there would be a larger problem with such an arrangement that is current draw. In such an arrangement you potentially could exceed the current draw on the neutral side because you should not be attempting to pull 50 AMPs from 30 AMP rated wiring. It isn't just the hot line that needs to be correctly sized it is also the neutral or return line. Anyway, having 50 AMPs in the coach providing the ability to run the coach on any of the following combinations would be very nice:
Two 20 AMP circuits
Two 15 AMP circuits
One 15 AMP circuit and one 30 AMP circuit
One 20 amp circuit and one 30 AMP circuit
One 50 AMP 240V circuit

The above combinations give the OP maximum flexibility over the standard 30 AMP single phase setup in most RVs. Obviously, even with the two legs available if it does not add up to the full 50 AMP needed then you can't use everything in the coach however you can still use more than you could if you only had a single phase 30 AMP setup.
__________________
Michael
Old setup:
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LT with a 2004 Jayco JayFlight 29BHS
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think it will trip the GFI outlet. GFI outlets work by detecting current draw that does not return through the neutral line (E.G. if someone is grounded and touches the hot line). In the case of the Y cords the neutral lines are usually connected together as are the ground lines. The two hot lines are kept separate in the wiring and in the panel inside the coach. In theory, if the Y cord had only one neutral line connected - say from the 30 AMP side and left the 20 AMP neutral open with no connection then you could (most likely would) trip the GFI outlet on the 20 AMP side however there would be a larger problem with such an arrangement that is current draw. In such an arrangement you potentially could exceed the current draw on the neutral side because you should not be attempting to pull 50 AMPs from 30 AMP rated wiring. It isn't just the hot line that needs to be correctly sized it is also the neutral or return line. Anyway, having 50 AMPs in the coach providing the ability to run the coach on any of the following combinations would be very nice:
Two 20 AMP circuits
Two 15 AMP circuits
One 15 AMP circuit and one 30 AMP circuit
One 20 amp circuit and one 30 AMP circuit
One 50 AMP 240V circuit

The above combinations give the OP maximum flexibility over the standard 30 AMP single phase setup in most RVs. Obviously, even with the two legs available if it does not add up to the full 50 AMP needed then you can't use everything in the coach however you can still use more than you could if you only had a single phase 30 AMP setup.
Every one I've tried has tripped the ground fault.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Renton
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Every one I've tried has tripped the ground fault.
Hmm... it must be due to how the Y cable wiring works. It would be interesting to try with an autoformer would help (http://autoformersdirect.com/catalog...products_id=28). The autoformer isolates the hot lines from the input side as well as automatically regulating the voltage. I'm curious if the GFI outlets trip when the Y cord is first plugged in or when you try to use something in the coach? What experience have you had? It would be an interesting exercise to build something that would prevent the GFI from tripping. I have seen this company that builds a fairly complicated device that is a series of transfer switches that deliver 50 AMP power to the coach but allow the correct combination of different circuits to provide that power.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...solution/57161 ($799 on sale is a bit steep!)
If I wanted to be really creative guess we could take the input power from the 20 A circuit and the 30 A circuit and rectify them separately to DC then buss them together and then run it through a RMS sine wave inverter to regenerate the 240 V phase to phase 120 V phase to phase 50 Amp service for the coach. That would eliminate the GFI tripping problem and provide clean stable power for the RV. That said it could be a bit of overkill...

Got to love these discussions on JOF!
__________________
Michael
Old setup:
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LT with a 2004 Jayco JayFlight 29BHS
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 5,041
Just found this add:

Use your 50-amp power cord in parks without 50-amp service to operate lights and appliances.

Two 30-amp plugs on heavy-duty 17"L UL approved cords supply power to a 50-amp receptacle from any combination of two 30-, 20- or 15-amp power receptacles. One 30-amp connection and one 20-15-amp connection (with included adapter) on separate circuits is the ideal situation for running both air conditioners. For providing 20-15 amps on each leg an additional #24493 30-to-15-amp adapter (sold separately) is required. Receptacle is housed in a weather-proof box with flip cover and works best if outlets are on separate circuits. Polarity check of each park receptacle is recommended before use-see #16036 Good Governor (sold separately). Not for use with GFI receptacles.
__________________

__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.