Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #21

i played with the back wall on my x213 slideout today after sealing it back up and letting the sealant set up. i have a theory about what is causing it and it has to do with the adjustable sliding brackets on the rails (pic). the brackets are slotted and act as a stop. they appear to be adjusted too loose and probably let the slideout go in too far. i'm going to drive in the slide just until the seal is seated and move the bracket to stop here and see what happens when i run it against the clutch. fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
20201116_131830[1].jpg  
ned37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #22

Interesting theory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned37 View Post
i played with the back wall on my x213 slideout today after sealing it back up and letting the sealant set up. i have a theory about what is causing it and it has to do with the adjustable sliding brackets on the rails (pic). the brackets are slotted and act as a stop. they appear to be adjusted too loose and probably let the slideout go in too far. i'm going to drive in the slide just until the seal is seated and move the bracket to stop here and see what happens when i run it against the clutch. fingers crossed.
Interesting theory. It does make sense if the slide is pulling in too far then there would be pressure on the back panel/corner seam. It will be a fine balance of water tight, but not over tightened. The bad news is now I am going to be thinking about this all night.
Good luck, I look forward to your response.
RV Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:32 PM   #23

well, it seems to work.
first, i crawled under the slide while it was in at a position where it was sealed all around (and that ain't easy when you're old and fat).
i wanted to see how far the stop was from the end. the limit bracket for "in" was quite a distance away. and the slots were at the end away from the stop.
running the slide back out so i could work i loosened the left side (facing the rear) 2 nuts (9/16 carriage bolts) and moved the bar all the way back. (do both sides)
i got lucky and that adjustment made the clutch activate just as it sealed.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Slides can put a lot of pressure on a outside wall if improperly adjusted. Special the backwall, as this is fasten after the wall are up, and always put stress on the corners.
At the mfg. plant the average worker doesn't have the technologies to deal with these issues, they just install. At the dealership we do a lot of adjusting even on new units.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:11 PM   #25

Awesome news!!!

Quote:
well, it seems to work.
first, i crawled under the slide while it was in at a position where it was sealed all around (and that ain't easy when you're old and fat).
i wanted to see how far the stop was from the end. the limit bracket for "in" was quite a distance away. and the slots were at the end away from the stop.
running the slide back out so i could work i loosened the left side (facing the rear) 2 nuts (9/16 carriage bolts) and moved the bar all the way back. (do both sides)
I am glad the adjustment worked out for you. I am going to have to find sometime over the Thanksgiving holiday to try it on my trailer. I am encouraged and look forward to another 9 years with my Jayco X213. I appreciate you taking the lead on the repair and to ALJO for the recommendations. I will post an update once I have finished my repairs.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:05 AM   #26

Problem solved!!!

Quote:
well, it seems to work.
Ned37 - I wasn’t able to adjust the slide before the winter season, but I am excited to let you know I fixed it yesterday. Your description and the picture you provided were a great help. I also understand what you meant by how hard it is for us older (maybe bigger) guys to get to the adjustment bolts. Next big trip starts in a few weeks and I am so relieved I don’t have to worry about this issue any longer. Thank you again for collaborating on a solution.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:20 PM   #27

Hi All,

Did anyone have an update on the wall separation to see if this worked. I just bought a used Jayco x213 and noticed that the passenger side rear wall is doing the same thing. 2 questions? Did adjusting the slide work and did changing the screws work to hold the wall in.

Im trying to call Jayco to get the blueprints for my trailer to see what size the screws are to hold the back wall together. Over the weekend i pulled the corner right off to see what the issue was and did try to remove the one screw. Either its not catching or it is rusted out. Didnt see any damage to the corner but over time if i dont take care of this water will get in. For now i have put it back together and sealed it enough so water will not get in.
Playing For Keeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:26 AM   #28

yes it works. but you need to seperate the wall, seal it, move the slide out to let the gap close, then redrill the screw holes. iirc , i used 2" deck screws, and drilled close to the existing holes, leaving the original screws in place. before doing anything else, crawl under the slide and ADJUST THE STOPS.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:40 AM   #29

Ned37- wow thanks for the quick reply... Im glad this worked for you. Sorry not sure what you mean by separating the wall? Do you mean take the corner trim off the wall? I have had a look under the slide to have a look at the stops. Your right about it being very tight under there. Ill read your older post to get the directions. unless you have any other pointers to make it easier to adjust them. Thanks again for your support. Family really loves the trailer.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playing For Keeps View Post
Im trying to call Jayco to get the blueprints for my trailer to see what size the screws are to hold the back wall together.
You could also try online, may be faster then the endless hold.

https://www.jayco.com/contact-towable-service/
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:38 AM   #31

Quote:
separating the wall
close the slide and make the gap
Old 06-01-2022, 12:44 PM   #32

Quote:
yes it works. but you need to seperate the wall, seal it, move the slide out to let the gap close, then redrill the screw holes. iirc , i used 2" deck screws, and drilled close to the existing holes, leaving the original screws in place. before doing anything else, crawl under the slide and ADJUST THE STOPS.
When reading this thread, I looked at my 2019 x213, and it seems to be doing the same thing when the slide is closed (see attached picture). The gap closes when the slide is open, it seems that the lever arm on the slide makes the walls separate (closed slide) or come together (open slide). I looked from the inside, but can't see any access to the corner, without taking inside paneling off.

When posters here talk about the screws, I can't seem to find any screws to replace? Or, are those screws under the outside corner molding? I would appreciate if someone could post a picture of where those screws and the corner stud are located.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220302_222225403.jpg  
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:24 PM   #33

Thanks JB- did get the blue print but it doesnt show me the size of screw. Ned i did look at the adjustments for my slide and they seem to be where they need to be, I do believe that the screws are too small and may have pulled away from the aluminum stud( this is just in the middle area as the top and bottom seem to be closed). To answer your question about the screws Science. Yes the screws are behind the corner on the outside so you will need to remove that and corner. Just be careful when removing it. Take your time.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playing For Keeps View Post
Thanks JB- did get the blue print but it doesnt show me the size of screw. Ned i did look at the adjustments for my slide and they seem to be where they need to be, I do believe that the screws are too small and may have pulled away from the aluminum stud( this is just in the middle area as the top and bottom seem to be closed). To answer your question about the screws Science. Yes the screws are behind the corner on the outside so you will need to remove that and corner. Just be careful when removing it. Take your time.
Thanks for the insight. Seeing at how thin the corner molding is, the screws holding the corner together can't be very substantial. I'll report back when I have a chance to remove the molding and see what I find.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:45 PM   #35

Side Wall Separation - Adjusting the slide out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencenerd View Post
Thanks for the insight. Seeing at how thin the corner molding is, the screws holding the corner together can't be very substantial. I'll report back when I have a chance to remove the molding and see what I find.
I am just returning from a month long trip, so sorry for the delayed response. I documented my experience adjusting the slideout (see attached PDF). Once the slide out was adjusted properly, I replaced all of the original (short) screws with longer rust proof screws and added more screws than were originally used. It has been a while, but I believe I used 3" screws. I started at the bottom and worked my way up, but make sure the slide adjustment is correct before trying to replace the screws. I learned the hard way that the slide out wasn't adjusted before I replace a few screws.

We love our 2011 Jayco X213 and hope this information helps other members of this group. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jayco Back Seam Separation M Palomino 7-14-21 a.pdf (182.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-30-2022, 02:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Cruisin View Post
I am just returning from a month long trip, so sorry for the delayed response. I documented my experience adjusting the slideout (see attached PDF). Once the slide out was adjusted properly, I replaced all of the original (short) screws with longer rust proof screws and added more screws than were originally used. It has been a while, but I believe I used 3" screws. I started at the bottom and worked my way up, but make sure the slide adjustment is correct before trying to replace the screws. I learned the hard way that the slide out wasn't adjusted before I replace a few screws.

We love our 2011 Jayco X213 and hope this information helps other members of this group. Good luck.
I finally got to work on this, after a 3 week vacation in Europe. From what I can see, the screws under the corner molding on the rear side of the camper are the only thing holding the walls together (see picture)? if yes, it is no wonder they come easily apart, given that those screws are not very substantial. I replaced them with bigger machine screws, but not sure if that fixed the problem. Time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220820_190257026.jpg   PXL_20220820_190304581.jpg  

Tags
corner seam separation, exterior walls, wall separation