Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2020, 06:48 AM   #1

Silly questions from a newbie:

I’m ultra new to all of this so I’ve got a few simple questions for you all! FYI, I’ve got a 2020 Jayflight 267BHS

1) How many hoses do you carry? My trailer has the tank flush connection on the exterior so I assume there’s no harm in using the same hose for drinking water and tank flushing, correct?

2) How well do those tank flushes work? Should I trust it, or should I still flush them the ‘old fashioned’ way?

3) For trailer weighting and load out purposes, can anyone tell me exactly where the FW and waste water tanks are located?

4) Any harm in capping off the FW overflow hoses after filling and during transit to avoid loss of water while en route to campsite? (I know this question is in a lot of other related posts, but I didn’t find anything very recent so thought I’d bring it up again)

5) Anyone have experience with the See Level II tank gauges? I can’t stand the inaccuracy of the standard tank gauges so am thinking about that upgrade.

6) In regard to the tank level upgrade, anyone know how challenging it is to access the tanks on this trailer in order to install?

Thanks!
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:11 AM   #2

Heres my $.02 and what I have and do

1. I carry 2 fresh water hoses. I've had to use both for fresh water due to the spigot being at the back of the site and my trailer connections at the front. I've used my fresh water hose and connected it to the flush valve and never had any issues with getting sick, etc. Some carry a seperate hose just for the flush connection. I keep hand sanitizer and wipe my stuff off with it.

2. I've found the flushes work o.k. I also keep a pair of 5gal buckets with me. I'll fill one up and keep it in the shower on a towel so it doesn't harm the shower bottom, scratches, etc. When I get to the dump station, empty the black tank first and I have a clear 45* elbow to see when the flow is slowing down. I'll go into the bathroom and slam that 5gal bucket of water down the toilet as fast as it can take it from a good 2' above the toilet. The force of the water coming down and into the tank flushes things out pretty well. You're never going to get it all out anyway, but you'll get a majority of it.

3. Sorry. Can't help ya on that. I'm sure someone with your model will chime in.

4. I know people do cap them off with a cap or valve, I don't. I really don't have much of an issue with water loss. I lose about 5 gal, but I got a 90 gal tank. I'd try it without first and see how much you lose. Fill it up, make a run around your area for a bit and when you get back set your valves to sanitize and have the pump suck water out of a bucket into the tank and see how much you've lost to see how much you lost. You may be surprised, either way. Lol!

5&6. My gauges are fairly accurate. Fresh water is good, grey tanks are fair and black I really don't even look at. I've got big tanks all the way around and if my family can fill two 54 gal black tanks, we've got some serious issues. Lol! I'm sure someone will chime in on these questions too.

Btw, congrats on the new trailer and enjoy!!!
Old 05-03-2020, 07:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
I’m ultra new to all of this so I’ve got a few simple questions for you all! FYI, I’ve got a 2020 Jayflight 267BHS

1) How many hoses do you carry? My trailer has the tank flush connection on the exterior so I assume there’s no harm in using the same hose for drinking water and tank flushing, correct?

2) How well do those tank flushes work? Should I trust it, or should I still flush them the ‘old fashioned’ way?

3) For trailer weighting and load out purposes, can anyone tell me exactly where the FW and waste water tanks are located?

4) Any harm in capping off the FW overflow hoses after filling and during transit to avoid loss of water while en route to campsite? (I know this question is in a lot of other related posts, but I didn’t find anything very recent so thought I’d bring it up again)

5) Anyone have experience with the See Level II tank gauges? I can’t stand the inaccuracy of the standard tank gauges so am thinking about that upgrade.

6) In regard to the tank level upgrade, anyone know how challenging it is to access the tanks on this trailer in order to install?

Thanks!
1) NEVER use the white water hose for anything but Potable water. Separate hose for tank flush.

2) I have a 2011. Have never used the flush system. My 02 5er does not have a flush system.

3) FW tank will be directly under the FW tank fill valve. there will be an overflow/vent hose sticking down from it.

4) Cap on the hose is good for travel but you must remove it for use. More trouble than it worth. You trying to fix a problem that does not exist.

5) Tank level gauges never work.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:23 AM   #4

X2 Cavie: A couple of 5gal water buckets during a flush helps a lot.

2. depending on the length of your hoses. I carry 4, due to using a macerator when necessary. KI have camped when the dump station was a mile away. Putting the honey wagon in the truck and macerate into it was necessary. Also the macerator needs a separate flush hose.

A. 25ft drinking hose
B. 50ft black tank flushing hose
c. 50ft macerator flushing hose
d. 100ft drinking hose (for CORE parks).

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #5

Awesome! Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #6

For flushing I use one of those cheap "as seen on TV" collapsible hoses.

https://www.amazon.com/TV-G-7153-Out.../dp/B072BPPB7J

When done, I just wad it up and toss is in a Tupperware tote with the sewer hose connections. Takes up less room than a regular hose that has to be coiled and tied every time.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:57 AM   #7

There are no silly questions... but we've got plenty of silly answers :-)

It's not a good idea to use your freshwater hose for tank flushing.. there's the risk of contamination if there should be a "burp" from the tank, plus, most dump sites will have a notice up, reminding you that the water from the faucet is NOT drinking water, so you could be washing all sort of nasties into your hose, which you will later use to connect your drinking water supply.

Most folks keep a separate hose, clearly marked or a different colour (ours is bright orange!), reserved just for flushing. Other than that, we carry three drinking-water hoses, two "curly" hoses that stretch out to about 20', and one regular 25'. All are specifically rated for drinking water.

Don't forget a pressure regulator, at the post end of your hose, and - the handiest gadget of all - a 90-degree adaptor. (That lets the hose hang vertically from the connector, rather than sticking straight out and putting strain on the flimsy plastic hull fitting, and just waiting for somebody to walk into it )

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post

Thanks!
1. I am fortunate that I can drain my tanks at home. I just use my garden hose for both filling and flushing. The flushing has a back flow preventer I believe so it should not contaminate the garden hose. I use a pressure regulator plus add a filter when filling the tank. I have a separate steel braided hose for campground connections which I like very much.

2. I flush the tank until the drain water runs clear. So far it has worked out quite well. I do let the tank chemical sit and dissolve everything before I flush.

3. ?

4. I installed shut off valves on my tank overflow and vent hoses which solved the problem of losing 1/3 of my tank of fresh water while travelling. I just have to remember to open the valves when I get to the camping site.

5. I installed the Sea Level II system late last year and absolutely love it. Definitely worth the hassle of crawling underneath and running wires, etc. Accuracy is 1000% better. I added the propane sender so it works with the gauge and that makes it easier to keep track of my remaining propane. I also installed a second Sea Level display in my outside water fill area. That makes filling the tank easier as I can sit back and watch the level go up and slow things down when it hits 100%.

6. Don't know on your trailer but on my Greyhawk the only tank that was hard to attach the sensor to was the fresh water. You have to keep the sensor away from metal and on this tank it required me to squeeze my hand in a small area. It worked but did add slightly to the overall effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #9

The only dumb questions are those that aren’t asked! We all were new once.

I use a Camco blue hose for my City connect. And I pack a shorter white one in case I need more length. I use a brass “Y” splitter at the spigot, followed by a regulator and blue filter. The “Y” has quarter-turn shutoff valves so it is easy to turn off the water supply if we leave. Also, it still gives me an open spigot for rinsing hands etc.

I use a separate BLACK Zero-G-type hose for the black tank flush. It coils down into a bucket and stores in a separate tote from the FW hoses, filter, etc. My black tank flush seems to work well — I just watch the clear elbow at the sewer connection to make sure all is clean. I will close the black valve for a short time to let the flush water refill the tank a bit, but only for a few minutes and NEVER walk away.

Can’t help on the gauges as mine have always been pretty accurate. After a while you get a feel for how much they will hold before you need to dump.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #10

I'm another one that uses a separate hose for the flushing connection on mine.

I flush it out until the water is clear.
Usually takes about 5 minutes or so.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #11

Jim D....

Where’d you get the propane sender? Can you provide a link?

ALL: Thanks a million for all the input! Very helpful! I’m off to the CAT scale this afternoon to make sure my weights are all dialed in. Then Friday morning we’re off on our first trip to a fully dry location...our second little trip since we got the trailer. ����
Old 05-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #12

1. NEVER EVER USE THE SAME HOSE!

for the rest (2-6), you'll learn.
mboy is offline   Reply With Quote