Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #1

Simple tire pressure Qs - hot vs cold pressure

I searched the internet and this forum. I don’t like to post new threads that have already been discussed but I have some very simple questions regarding tire pressure.
For example, my stock Jayco Jayflight SLX 264BHW tires are rated for 50 psi. I will check them before we leave and inflate to 42psi. Should I inflate to max psi? Most sources say I should. But then here’s my question that doesn’t get answered: During my next fuel stop I will check tires. Supposedly they should have increased in psi since they’ve heated up right? I will check them and they might be at about 41-43 (maybe 45) psi. Does this sound right or am I running under inflated? Essentially my question is what should my warm psi be? I don’t understand why they rate them at their cold psi. If I inflate them to 50 and they heat up psi will increase to over inflation right? Please clear this up for me thank you
kirkdl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #2

You should inflate them when the tires are COLD to maximum psi. If it says 50psi, put 50 in NOT 42
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #3

You can't check your tire pressure after you have been driving. Just check them AFTER it has sat all night and air up to max psi for those tires.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #4

Always run at max cold inflation pressure listed on sidewall. The RV manufacturers size the axles and tires to be barely adequate so you need all the capacity available.

As for the "warm" tire inflation, depends on what the temps of the road and ambient air is. I generally will see a 1-3 psi increase in the early spring and late fall and 8-10 psi in the summer months.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #5

Yes, check and inflate them with COLD tires. Most folks run at max sidewall pressure, and that's what I'd recommend unless you happen to have upgraded to a higher load range than stock.

Stop checking the tire PSI at the fuel stops and check them again the next morning. If they don't go down overnight, you are in good shape. Air and road temps can do some funny things, but you don't need to worry yourself too much while on the road unless you suspect one has a leak.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #6

Manufacturer's specify inflation pressures when the tires are cold. They know tires heat up when on the road and that pressure increase is NOT over inflation.

Inflating to the manufacturer's maximum shown on the sidewall increases the tire's load carrying ability and reduces sidewall flex to keep tires running cooler and help minimize sway.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #7

Be concerned about tire heat at stops, not pressure. That assuming there wasn’t a rapid drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote