Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #1

Single axle blowouts?

I just bought a Jayflight 195 RB. It has a single axle. Does anyone have an experience with a blowout on a single axle trailer? How hard to control, even at higher speeds, and the potential for damage and/or an accident? Thanks for any experience and advice you can offer!
Lindasteele57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:29 PM   #2

Yep. Same unit.
I don’t think we realized when it blew
We were on a forest road that was very rutted
When we pulled onto the Trans Canada highway we were going about 40 when we figured we had to pull over
There was no shoulder. Transports going about 130 kph going by
You may as we did wreck the wheel
Bring safety triangles or cones
You have nothing to drive on to a safer spot

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #3

Was that in miles or km? Did you apply the brakes or just slow down and pull over?
Old 04-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #4

I suppose packing some flares wouldn’t hurt, if it happens at night. I hadn’t thought of cones, so that’s a good idea. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #5

We were in Canada. 130km an hour passing traffic We were doing 40 mph
There were no shoulders on the road. It was daytime
We’ve also had a bearing seize up another time
You do need sway control for not losing control
We never lost control
However we could not drive 100 miles to the next town on a wheel rim
So we had to change the tire
Some sort of traffic control is a must if your feet can get run over
The RCMP was too far away ( several hours) to help us

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #6

What year is your trailer? Are the bearings sealed or do they require maintenance?
Old 04-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindasteele57 View Post
What year is your trailer? Are the bearings sealed or do they require maintenance?
They HAD just been maintained. Someone goofed.. We repack them every five thousand miles. Yes. Maintenance. Otherwise you will risk losing your brakes
What happened is the grease cap flew off.

There really is nothing to worry about with these single axle trailers if you have sway protection and watch the wheels and tires diligently at each fuel and rest stop.
I shared your concerns when we first got ours. Since then we have logged some 45 thousand miles with two wheel incidents that resulted in zero damage save a rim.

Also you should inspect your axle if you drive rough roads. A bent one makes horrid tire wear. Its best on rough roads ( dirt as in Alaska ) to go slow or upgrade the axle like Lord Humongous.

We handle flats just as we do driving on ice. Never jam on the brakes. You could use the aftermarket brake controller( you will have one... right?) to slow the trailer but we just let the tow and trailer combo coast to a rest.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #8

The bearings are not sealed and regular maintenance is recommended. The Dexter manual that came with our 195RB recommends bearing maintenance every 12 months or 12K miles. I always do this maintenance at the beginning of each season and include checking and adjusting the brakes as well.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #9

To add to what ttavasc said, these axles come with lithium grease in their wheel bearings. Unless you thoroughly wash out all old grease, it is important to only use lithium grease. I installed Bearing Buddies on mine and haven't repacked since. I pump a little lithium grease in a couple times a year.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #10

This trailer is a 2017 bought gently used for 1 season, but I’ll make sure the dealership has done the bearing maintenance when I pick it up. Is there anything else regarding regular maintenance that I should make sure they’ve done? I have the brake controller, equalizer which has sway control and the electric jack for when I camp solo. Bought two additional scissor jacks for when the campsite isn’t level. Can’t think of anything else to improve safety, except for towing side mirrors. Does a trailer this size need them? Didn’t need them with my 13 footer.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #11

Thanks, I’ll ask the dealership if they used lithium grease. I’m getting my demo and picking it up tomorrow, so I’m pretty excited!
Old 04-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindasteele57 View Post
This trailer is a 2017 bought gently used for 1 season, but I’ll make sure the dealership has done the bearing maintenance when I pick it up. Is there anything else regarding regular maintenance that I should make sure they’ve done? I have the brake controller, equalizer which has sway control and the electric jack for when I camp solo. Bought two additional scissor jacks for when the campsite isn’t level. Can’t think of anything else to improve safety, except for towing side mirrors. Does a trailer this size need them? Didn’t need them with my 13 footer.
We could probably do without the tow mirrors but I like having them, especially when on the interstates. Also, as Kim Gass pointed out, checking the tires and bearings at regular intervals when traveling is important. I carry an inexpensive infrared thermometer and use it to check the hub temperatures every time we stop for fuel or a rest break. If your unit came with chrome covers over the hub pull those and leave them off so you can get an accurate temperature reading. For our unit normal temps for the hubs when checked every 2 - 3 hours of interstate towing is about 20-25 degrees above ambient temperature.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #13

I've never needed mine, but it's a good idea to carry flares or some kind of bright red flashing LED warning light. I also carry a 12 volt air compressor, which I thankfully haven't needed either. Also good idea to check your tow vehicle's lug wrench and jack and make sure they will fit your trailer. A few years back I discovered the nuts holding the spare tire were a different size than my lug nuts and I didn't have a wrench to fit them.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #14

Cool, and thanks for the advice. I just bought the Vacation’r add on room a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone have one of these for a 12v awning? I thought it would be nice to sit out at night and not be bitten by mosquitoes. Not to mention the extra living space. Carefree of Colorado makes them and the dealership recommended it specifically for my trailer.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #15

Yikes! Thanks for that advice! I’ll have to get a tool kit organized just for the trailer.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #16

Yes. At least on the left side. Most states have laws that say you need to have 200 feet visibility to the rear. I actiually wish there were a camera mount to see to the rear
I can’t see anything directly behind me without a wide angle auxiliary mirror
A roof inspection annually is needed
Two stabilizer jacks in the front are a good idea. We just use one Andersen wheel chock and leveler.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #17

Check the tire pressure often. Most blowouts occur due to under inflated tires. When they are low on air they flex more which causes them to heat up and blowout. But I have always had single axles and never had an issue .
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #18

I also have a 195rb and have had blowouts with prior single axles. My fear is not going out of control but damage to the plumbing. The drain and controls are all located behind the wheel. If the tire shreds you may fling chunks of rubber at the drain and damage it. A lot of big bucks to rebuild all that. May even cost the tanks.

On my prior trailer I installed a mud flap crafted from a truck parts house trimmed to fit the space and reinforced with a piece of angle iron.

Will try to do that this summer before heading out to Colorado.

I have the Andersen hitch which should help even if I get a sway event going. It's a perfect match for my Jeep and 195rb.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #19

We had a blow out on our single axle 145RB last summer. We were traveling approximately 50-55 miles per hour on asphalt highway when it happened. A really big "bang" with a slight pull on the wheel of our Tiguan. Quickly slowed down with 4-way flashers on and pulled as far off onto the shoulder. Fortunately it was on the passenger side. Actually the trailer and TV were easily controlled and we didn't feel any anxiety till after it was all over.

I was not fully prepared. I had a breaker bar with sockets, but didn't have a proper jack. I put out orange cones behind the trailer and drove to Cdn Tire, which was close by and bought a $25 A-jack.

After our experience I can only recommend you carry:
- A few small orange cones (like they use for kids soccer) to put out behind the trailer.
- Minimum 24'' breaker bar
- Sockets for both wheel nuts and spare tire nut
- Proper jack
- wheel chocks for the other side of the trailer
- a tarp or blanket to lay on while changing the tires
- torque wrench
- 12v tire pump and gauge in case you need to again check/fill pressure.
- hand cleaner for when you're done

We had bought our trailer used a month earlier and we were fortunate that the dealer covered the cost to replace both tires on the trailer.

The rim was not damaged nor was the trailer.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #20

+1 on bearing buddies. Once you install them, you don't have to worry. Just keep pumping grease into them once a year. I too have 195rb and now know to carry a proper jack. It is a 2015 and one tire is worn pretty bad on the outside. I looked at the axle and I couldn't see any adjustments that could be made. I am going to swap the spare tire for that one. Next year I am upgrading to the next level tire.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote