Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2018, 04:40 AM   #21

Yet, we have stayed at Walmarts many times and will in the future also. On occasion it can be a little noisy, but if I'm tired, I will sleep through it. And when I wake up, at 4 in the morning, I want to drive. In that case, I'm sure the folks in a camp ground 10 feet away will be very happy to be awakened at 4-4:30 as I leave.

What would be nice is of those campgrounds that are near the interstates or or other major roads had transient sites. Ones for just parking over night, that did not used any of the facilities for 1/2 the going rate.

I hate paying full price to stay in a campground when I'm only going to be there for 6 to 8 hours max and I don't need to use their water, or electricity, or sewer facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
We stayed at a Walmart once.....NEVER AGAIN. We got the okay from the manager and he told us where we could park, right next to the road that leads to the delivery docks. Trucks rolled in and out all night. The the street sweeper started his rounds of the parking lot. You know those shopping carts that get parked out in the lot, they make lots of noise when they are gathered back to the store. The late night early morning shoppers weren't exactly quiet either.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:50 AM   #22

When we are travelling (14-16hrs per) to the SW we use FlyingJ/Pilot for the most part. Easy fueling at the truck islands, easy parking for the night. Noise isn't an issue but I try to make sure I'm not parked with a refer beside the front of the trailer. We can use everything with slides in, made sure of that when picking a fiver. If we rae doing shorter days then we'll use Walmart. Haven't seen a CB I can easily get in and out of.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:14 AM   #23

This link might prove useful:

No Overnight Parking at Walmart – Walmart Locator

As the article notes, "there are more than 900 Walmart stores nationwide where overnight RV parking is prohibited"

Hope that helps somebody avoid a rude awakening in the small hours!

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #24
Site Team

Don’t blame Walmart, most times it’s due to local ordanances.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Don’t blame Walmart, most times it’s due to local ordanances.
Very true. I have read of instances where a Walmart store said it was OK to park, and the local police issued a citation in the middle of the night, because they said it wasn't.

I've also heard it suggested (though I can't offer any references) that such ordinances are the result of political pressure from commercial campgrounds, who obviously don't like the idea of free parking.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I've had a CDL for many years and have spent many nights at truck stops and interstate rest areas. I can look you in the eye and tell you that there are many that I wouldn't want to be in at night with my family or young children for a number of reasons. There are lots that are perfectly safe. But others, you really just want to avoid. A couple of hours here and there should not be a big deal if you really need the rest. But I would much prefer a campground if my kids or wife is with me.

Yeah, my wife want stay in any other place but at the campground she don't trust them so it's always staying at the campground for a night or two.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #27

There would not be a rude awakening if they simply go inside and ask the manager if it's OK to park in their lot overnight. That's not hard to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
This link might prove useful:

No Overnight Parking at Walmart – Walmart Locator

As the article notes, "there are more than 900 Walmart stores nationwide where overnight RV parking is prohibited"

Hope that helps somebody avoid a rude awakening in the small hours!

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #28

Personally, I would have to have gotten too behind on my progress and exhausted or the weather would have to be too bad to proceed for me to have to stop at something other than a campground.
Many of these places appear nice, but I don't know that I would sleep well.
Our own Walmart appears to be a small town Walmart, buy the crime is crazy high there.
And rest stops are known for crime.

Add the unfamiliar to it, and I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing this with my children.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #29

We've only stopped a few times overnight. But every time, I've researched a decent campground for us to stay in. It's not free. But I just prefer it to staying anywhere else with my fam.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #30

I generally only do campgrounds. I have found some with rv storage area where they let me park for next to nothing if I wasn't setting up. Just gotta ask. I prefer it as I travel with my wife and kids. But also I sleep with a loaded Kimber next to me no matter where I am ha.
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote