Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Should the dealer resolve this issue to the customer's satisfaction?
Yes 12 92.31%
No 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #1

Slide

I bought a new 32 ds bh last year and had it delivered to a seasonal site. After opening up the camper we noticed a rip in the flooring. The dealer came out and caulked the rip. A fix that we were not totally satisfied but decided not to pursue any further. When we open up the camper this spring the rip is there again! We spoke to the dealer and he told us that it would cost us $95.00 per hour to have someone to come out to our camper and maybe fix the situation. The other option was to bring the camper in which would also cost us a fortune. The rip is perpendicular to the bench by the dining room table. We try looking at the under side to see if we could determine what was causing the damage but it is covered. Any suggestion how to resolve this issue without this costing over a grand to fix? The must be something in the slide causing the rip but how to get to it?
croixlarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #2

You have a two year warranty. I would take it to the dealer. Jayco will not reimburse the dealer for travel time, you will have to take it to the dealer or pay the travel expenses. I am sure the dealer would prefer to do it in the shop where they have everything they need at hand.

To answer your question, yes the flooring should be replaced and the problem resolved.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #3

Sled

Thanks Clutch. I well aware of what Jayco will not do which I find disheartening because the trailer was delivered to me broken. My wife and I both work in service oriented occupations Our first response is "what do we need to do to make this right"? The situation is there is a wood deck in front of the camper. we are not in the position to just simply bring in the trailer to the dealer. The service and standing behind the product is a separate issue. I was looking to see if there any ideas on what would cause this and is there something I could do or look for from inside the camper that may remedy the situation.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #4

From your description, I wonder if a screw has penetrated the slider floor and is scraping the floor when the slide goes in and out.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #5

Is the deck attached to the trailer?

If not, your best bet would be to have someone take the trailer to the dealer. I noted you said you had it delivered to your site.

If not, you may have to pony up to pay the dealers' hourly rate.

Either way, good luck in finding out what your problem was/is.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #6

Would it be possible to remove the dinning bench to see the underside?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #7

The only other option I see you having is calling Jayco directly and see if they will authorize a mobile repair business. Jayco is known to authorize repairs to be completed outside a dealership. I would imagine if you are seasonal, there are many others there too and one of your camping neighbors would certainly have a recommendation. I doubt a mobile repair business isn't charging $95/hr travel time.

Otherwise hitch up and drag it to the dealer, which you clearly don't want to do. The dealer asking you to pay travel expense seems acceptable to me -- $95 maybe a bit much but I have no idea what there actual burden labor rate is.

If this was me I would be disassembling a deck and towing my camper to the dealer. I might wait till after the season and just place some tape on it of a throw rug to cover it in the meantime. But I would expect the slide to be removed, fix what ever it cutting the floor and if a patch to match the existing floor exactly wasn't available I would want all new flooring.

I certainly understand your frustration, but you did admittedly accept a sub-par repair last year which if done correctly likely wouldn't have repeated itself. You can't be too upset, the dealer did make the trip once on their dime to make a fix that you accepted.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:44 AM   #8

When the dealer came out to look at the tear in the flooring, and put caulk over it, that should have just been their temporary fix to get through the summer. They should of approached you with a plan to fix it at the end of season. Since it appears the slide has to come out to do the repair, I see no other way to fix it but to bring it to the dealer. It seems to me it would be very costly to set up a job to remove a slide on your site. Many people, fork lifts, hoists, uneven and unstable ground, etc. And all that would not be covered by the warranty. Sounds much cheaper to bring it in to the dealer.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #9

Is the dinning room table the pedestal type mounted to the floor with screws? If so and the tear is aligned with the screws, I would be taking the screws out from the pedestal and see if they are all the same size. Someone could have slipped a longer screw in one hole. Just a thought.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #10

The scratch is more aligned with the seat. I was thinking if I could remove the drawer beneath the seat to see if there is a screw or missed placed staple. Use the kiss method before taking it in to have the slide removed.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #11

Removed the drawer beneath the bench. There was a drawer stop mounted beneath the bench. The screws aligned with the gouge in the floor. Removed the screws. Tape a piece of paper over the gouge and move the slide in and out. Ta! Da! One of The Boentregers must of had extra wheaties the day he had his screw gun. Did not have to remove the slide. Kiss method works again! Maybe I should be a Jayco repair man. $95.00 an hour sounds pretty good.

Tags
slide out problems