Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
ice

slide clicks but doesnt move

I have a 2014 jayflight with rack n pinion slideout rails. Slide came in fine and sits flush appearing even. It will not extend out. A clicking sound is heard with no movement and it is plugged into shore power. Any suggestions? thanks
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #2

So was it working and this just happened or has it been giving you any trouble, besides this? So when you put it in did it ratchet like they say to let it do for a second. Just throwing stuff out here as we have never had slide issues. All the fuses are good and such or have you checked them. That is where I would start the clicking may be a relay or something that is not acting correct. Now you have it plugged in and the slides are operated by 12 volt so that would be the battery is your battery charged up enough or is something blocking it?
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
CAG

Dead battery? Even with shore power if the battery is shot it won't move.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I have a 2014 jayflight with rack n pinion slideout rails. Slide came in fine and sits flush appearing even. It will not extend out. A clicking sound is heard with no movement and it is plugged into shore power. Any suggestions? thanks
If it is a Power Gear system they have a relay board that switches the current when you command the slide to move. They have fuses on the relay board itself and they are fed power through a fuse in your panel. Need to check both.
Attached Thumbnails
Power Gear relay board.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Will it work manually??

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Or is it a Schwintec in-wall system with the gear tracks on the outside of the slide walls? Those have an electronic module that controls the two motors in the walls. The module has diagnostic lights on it that can help with diagnosing the problem.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
ice

Thanks for the help. Battery is new. Everything has worked normal. This is my first issue. All breakers were good. Ill check fuses.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Battery is new. Everything has worked normal. This is my first issue. All breakers were good. Ill check fuses.
The slide mechanisms, whether the Power Gear or the Schwintec, both run on 12-volts. So your 120-volt breakers aren't really a factor unless something leads to a depleted battery.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #9

Just curious but since shore power is present supplying power to the converter which then energizes both 120 and 12V systems, shouldn't his slide work even with a dead battery or in fact, no battery at all?
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:18 AM   #10

New gearbox

My main slide worked fine, my wife and I always check to make sure there are no toys or cabinets open before moving it. Well this last outing it stopped coming in, but wasn't in. I extended it and retracted it and it worked. Brought it home and ran it in/out several times with out an issue. My wife needed something and extended it and there was a bang. It now makes a clicking noise.
Long story to say I have a new gearbox/actuator ordered from Amazon because the one gear lost all of its teeth. I checked with Venture actuator, guess what? They will not sell individual gears. I had to check measurements and specs before ordering a new actuator, but other than laying on the ground and figuring out my dexter center drive system it is an easy fix.
2008 Pilgrim 328 BHSS(sold)
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
2012 Ram CC Cummins 4x4 SRW w/4.10 gears using Andersen Ultimate hitch
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Just curious but since shore power is present supplying power to the converter which then energizes both 120 and 12V systems, shouldn't his slide work even with a dead battery or in fact, no battery at all?
No. The system runs 12 volts and the charging current from the shore power converter is not enough by itself or if the battery is low.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:29 PM   #12

Hmmm. My camper is in storage [no power] and during the winter I pull my battery and store it in the garage. Plenty of times in the winter I have taken my 2000w inverter genny down to the camper, plugged in it and my slides work just fine [no battery present].
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
No. The system runs 12 volts and the charging current from the shore power converter is not enough by itself or if the battery is low.
I know that this is an older post that I happened to stumble on as a result of Googling this issue. That said, I had to made an account just to respond to this statement.

While I recognize that not all trailers are the same, the above statement is 100% not true in my case. My trailer, a 2012 Nomad, absolutely opens the slide outs on nothing but shore power. My trailer doesn't even have a battery in it yet the slide outs work fine.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
I know that this is an older post that I happened to stumble on as a result of Googling this issue. That said, I had to made an account just to respond to this statement.

While I recognize that not all trailers are the same, the above statement is 100% not true in my case. My trailer, a 2012 Nomad, absolutely opens the slide outs on nothing but shore power. My trailer doesn't even have a battery in it yet the slide outs work fine.
I wouldn't do that without knowing that you can. Mine has a sticker by the controller that warns against doing that. The battery must assist.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I wouldn't do that without knowing that you can. Mine has a sticker by the controller that warns against doing that. The battery must assist.
Probably because of the high amp draw from the converter to the slide motor which could cause issues with the motor.
I prefer to have optimum power to my slides when operating.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:14 PM   #16

Must be a trailer to trailer thing. I have no "don't do this" decals on mine (I do have a "trailer must be level" decal) and I just re-read my manual and there isn't any mention of battery / no battery in it either.

All the same, I have been doing it this way for 10 years and so far so good. My trailer is permanently placed in a park and is always connected to 120. I have no need for a battery in there whatsoever and there hasn't been a battery in it for pretty much it's entire life.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:27 PM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Must be a trailer to trailer thing. I have no "don't do this" decals on mine (I do have a "trailer must be level" decal) and I just re-read my manual and there isn't any mention of battery / no battery in it either.

All the same, I have been doing it this way for 10 years and so far so good. My trailer is permanently placed in a park and is always connected to 120. I have no need for a battery in there whatsoever and there hasn't been a battery in it for pretty much it's entire life.
I just have to ask. If your RV is permanently set-up in a park, why would you need to retract or extend the slide(s)?
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote