Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #1

Angry Slide issues

We have a 2011 320RLDS that we purchased new in January 2012 and as I travel and camp host I have used it quite a bit. Two of the last three times out, the large slide won't extend...it just clicks. The immediate remedy is RELATIVELY simple but somewhat of a PITA. Lying flat on your back there is a trap door in the belly enclosure material that you open, then you can take a wrench and turn the slide screw a couple rounds, then hit the slide button and it works. The aggravating thing is it takes 10 minutes to take out 10 screws holding the trap door, 20 seconds to turn the screw, and another 15 minutes to put all the screws back in. After the trip to the shop for warranty work I guess I will install a trapdoor in the trapdoor that can just be opened and closed. I like this TT but this is the third time to the dealer for warrantee work in 18 months. The much lower quality Gulf Stream I had prior to this one was in once in four years for work. Ok, enough whining.
Shenandoahvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #2

shenandoahvalley, we have had the same thing since purchased. Dealer could never get it to repeat so he could not fix it. If you ever find out what is causing it or how to correct the problem then I'd love to see the solution.

Please put a pic of the trapdoor when you get done. Been thinking of that the past couple of days.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I went through the PDI with my sisters new Cougar.
It must have the same slide mechanism.
The tech made it very clear that there was a sweet stop spot that you had to ease up to.
Once you know where that sweet spot is, mark it or have a reference on the floor seam.

He said the stop was not really designed well and if you run it out until it stops on it's own, it will run off the worm gear rod and you will have to manually turn the rod as you describe to get it back into worm gear.

You might try determining where the full out position is and ease up to it.

FYI,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

If that really is the problem then the limit can be adjusted to avoid the problem area. Maybe I'll try that next. Pushing on the slide will not get it to start out but moving the motor manually will get it to catch.

I agree it seems like it is at the end of the limit.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #5

The OP's slide won't alway extend. The tech seemed to be talking about bringing it in. Either way, the slides on our 320RLDS drop into position at either end of the process. Can someone explain further how you would stop the movement manually before the slide has seated itself without causing a problem? Ours always clicks once when I operate it, or a few times when DW does.

Failure to Launch has been a concern of mine from day 1. I always breath easy after they open. And I feel twice as uncomfortable thinking about an unplanned extra day or so at a campground if they refuse to close. ray:
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #6

We also have a large slide that doesn't operate correctly. It won't come in all the way on the front edge so it sticks out about an inch and a half when closed. We have had it to three different Jayco dealers and none seem to be able to correct the problem. When the slides are pulled in the floor tips up slightly so it won't ride on the floor. Ours doesn't do the final lift and rubs on the linoleum while traveling. The last tech accused us of walking on it when it is in and caused the floor to bend. (how stupid can one be and still get hired?) It has been this way since the first day we had the trailer. The good news is that it comes in and goes out every time we push the button. In three more years when we replace our trailer we will be spending our money elsewhere.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #7

X2 on the large slide out not coming in all the way on the front bottom corner.
Rich, JoAn & Roxy (11 LBS. of guard dog)
RJ1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #8

Clutch, during our PDI walkthru we were advised to avoid standing on the floor of the closed slide.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #9

Hi,

My White Hawk was exactly the same front lower corner of the slide was just barely compressing the seals.
There is an adjustment on that end of the slide, you simply release two bolts and push it on the slide. I tried to do this adjustment with the slide all the way out and it wouldn't move...it will only move if you extend the slide to the center of travel. I have attached a video from Lippert that shows the adjustments. It really pretty simple just make small increments and test frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ1962 View Post
X2 on the large slide out not coming in all the way on the front bottom corner.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #10

Just had my 2009 G2 32BHDS back to Jayco for some "goodwill repairs due to water damage". Bought the trailer new and had the intermittent problem on the rear slide out. Sometimes had to crawl under and manually give it a couple of turns for the motor to engage. Jayco replaced the motor and actuator at the factory repair facility in Middleburg, IN. Has worked fine since I picked the unit up late Jun 13.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Clutch, during our PDI walkthru we were advised to avoid standing on the floor of the closed slide.
It only sticks out about 6 in from the refrigerator and range. Stepping on it would be difficult to do. The opposing slide on ours has to be out for us to even get into that part of the trailer, so when it is out, even half way, there is lots of room to walk. We don't walk on the slide edges when the slides are in. Our problem is that the slide doesn't come in all the way on the front edge. The slide is not bent.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #12

Got the trailer back from the shop and it works as it should. The tech, who seems very knowledgeable and experienced said there is an adjustment at the slide end of the mechanism that keeps things in place. Hope he is right. I really like this TT but I have had a number of small, nagging issues. At least there is a two year warranty so I haven't have to pay for most of them. Granted, I half time and use the trailer a lot, but I also used our prior TT, a low end Gulfstream, with much fewer issues.
Shenandoahvalley is offline   Reply With Quote