Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2021, 12:50 PM   #1

Slide lower corner won't close tight

A few weeks ago I had to bring TT(2021 SLX8 287BHS) to dealer for minor warranty work, and noticed as I was hooking it up to bring it in that the lower right corner of the slide wasn't pulled in tight to the camper. I asked dealer to check and fix. I picked it up earlier this week, and tje dealer said the tech reported a loose or out-of-place foam block that interfered with closing, and it seemed fine when I got it. Anyway, after bringing it home I parked it and extended the slide.

Today, I decided to close the slide, and noticed the same problem: lower right corner has a gap that I can easily stick my fingers into. The other 3 corners are as they should be.

I'll have to call dealer on Monday to get it back in, but they're only getting busier, and have no idea if/when they can see it. Meanwhile, any ideas as to the cause, or how to remedy it? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
20210403_133122.jpg   20210403_133111.jpg  
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:42 PM   #2

I was reading another thread about a guy having a similar issue. He found his trailer would do this when he was moving the slides in our out with the stabilizers down. Problem went away if he put the slide out first then the stabilizers down after. Must have tweaked the frame enough to cause binding.
branden.peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by branden.peterson View Post
I was reading another thread about a guy having a similar issue. He found his trailer would do this when he was moving the slides in our out with the stabilizers down. Problem went away if he put the slide out first then the stabilizers down after. Must have tweaked the frame enough to cause binding.
Interesting...will have to check that out later (trailer is 20 mins away.) Thanks -- will report back.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Able View Post
Interesting...will have to check that out later (trailer is 20 mins away.) Thanks -- will report back.
Am reporting back. Haven't been able to get to trailer until today (blah blah blah.) Hitched it up and brought it to a level parking lot, as I also wanted to check the tongue weight. It still isn't closing properly, with the same lower right-hand corner not being drawn in to the siding -- remains around 3/4" out of plane compared to other 3 corners. I'll call the dealer tomorrow, as it' still under warranty, but have little expectation of having problem resolved within next 4 weeks (when we travel to Cape Cod for our 1st trip of the season.)

So, #1: any ideas as to what might be causing this problem where the plane of the slideout is warped?

And #2: assuming dealer can't resolve this in the next month, does anyone think it will exacerbate the problem if we pull the trailer ~300 miles round trip?

(P.S. I inheritwd few of my dear late father's mechanical abilities -- he was a millwright, who despite only an 8th-grade education, was able to come up with solutions to difficult problems. Wish he were still around -- he would have figured this out by now.)
Old 04-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #5

When our White Hawk was new and still under warranty, we had a similar problem. Service manager agreed it wasn't right but wasn't sure if there was a fix. One of the techs looked at it and made an adjustment and fixed the gap.

Dealer should be able to fix it, I would think!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
When our White Hawk was new and still under warranty, we had a similar problem. Service manager agreed it wasn't right but wasn't sure if there was a fix. One of the techs looked at it and made an adjustment and fixed the gap.

Dealer should be able to fix it, I would think!

Murff
Yes, thanks -- I agree. The question is will they, and when? I'll report it again tomorrow as a warranty issue needing addressing and if not fixed prior to our camping season which starts a month from today, let them handle any related subsequent damage, if any, caused by our travels and usage.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #7

Well, I stopped by the dealer today -- actually, a new dealer, as the small family-owned exclusively Jayco shop I bought the trailer from last August sold out to a larger multi-brand dealership in Ocober, and the whole operation has just been shifted to the new location without any announcement. The old dealer was absolutely horrible at communication after the sale closed, and I reckon the new one can't be worse. Also, it's better for me, convenience-wise, but that's a whole other story.

Anyway, I talked with a guy at the service desk, explaining the situation. He told me that's not unusual, as these slide-out sides don't always open and close at the same rate. As long as the seals are tight, with no interior leaks and no daylight coming in, the slight gap (</= 3/4") at one bottom corner is within specs and it may self-resolve. He seemed eager to help and the whole operation is a heck of a lot more professional in appearance, so I'm hopeful.

He said to keep an eye on it: if it opens up more, or if there is water intrusion, I am to give service a call. I was wary at first, but left feeling better about it. Since it was previously reported as a warranty issue, he said any further problem will be taken care of.

Am I being gullible here? Our camping season starts in under a month, and I really don't want the trailer tied up waiting to be seen. We've been dying to get back out on the road since last October.