Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #41

The slides on today's rigs are dependable for the most part. I certainly wouldn't avoid a slide out of fear that it would break. The benefit of a slide(s) far outweigh the 'fear' of it breaking down. IMO
Old 09-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #42

We have never had use for our TT on the road, even coast to coast trips. If we did, I don't think pressing a button to open the slide would be a big deal. We typically have our drinks and food for the day with us in the TV. We just open and set up when we reach our destination each afternoon. So far we do not have leaks, structural, or mechanical issues with the slide. But that could change at any moment. The maintenance is not an issue. I keep the seals bathed in 303 protectant and keep an eye on the top, mechanism, screws, and caulking. We do have a cover on ours which I highly recommend. The extra space vs. potential failures seems to be the bottom line. The added weight and cost could play a role, too.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #43

Our Greyhawk 31FK has a single slide for the sofa and dinette. I was slightly off-square initially and did not close evenly by about an inch, but the dealer adjusted it. We also had a slide topper installed when we bought it. No problems in three years with any part of the slide.

We were careful to pick a floor plan in which the camper would be fully useable with the slide pulled in so we'd not have to open it while overnighting at Walmart. However extending it certainly does make the living area much more spacious.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #44

Smile Consider the slide mechanism

There are at least 3 slide mechanisms that push/pull the slide into position. My current 5ver has 4 slides and 2 different mechanisms, 1 hydraulic and 3 Schwentek. In two and 1/2 years or moderate use, the Schwenteks have proven to be problematic. The hydraulic just continues to operate. Most folks buy the floor plan. I recommend they strongly consider an extended factory warranty should their floor plan include Schwentek slides.

I would be really interested in seeing a survey of RVers on the longevity of their slide out mechanisms.
Moving Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #45

What type of slide mechanism do most Jayco TT's use? Is it rack and pinion?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #46

We love our no slide 232rb. For just the two of us there is plenty of room and we like the convenience of pulling off the road when we need to and have full use without having to worry about putting slides out.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #47

Just talked to a KOA manager this am. No doubt this is unscientific but he has seen too many slide failures over the years in his campground.
He suggested go longer but no slide
Have to think about that. Longer is no picnic in tight places

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:09 AM   #48

Can anyone advice as to what to use on slide mechanism?
When I did PDI the tech told me to spray on something on the track but I can't remember what??
I did notice someone said they use 303 on the seals - I'm guessing that's the rubber seal only but not the metal track??
Thanks

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
Can anyone advice as to what to use on slide mechanism?
When I did PDI the tech told me to spray on something on the track but I can't remember what??
I did notice someone said they use 303 on the seals - I'm guessing that's the rubber seal only but not the metal track??
Thanks
Something like this will do:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-41105-S.../dp/B000BUU5VS

You also need to treat the rubber seals

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SLIDE-OUT...&wl13=&veh=sem
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Thank you Crabman

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 09-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Now that I think about it, will I be able to "access" the rubber seal with an awning over the slide-out??

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 09-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #52

Could I ask what you consider as part of your slide maintenance routine?
Mine is:
Sweep off the top after each use
Lubricate the slide mechanism
Treat the rubber seal monthly
Keep it closed when not in use
I have friends who left theirs open all last winter, it leaked and ruined the floor. TT was more or less a total loss as repair costs were estimated at $14k
Just want to make sure I'm doing all I can
BTW Our first trailer was a Jay Flight 26BH, this one is a 27rls...absolutely love the slide...considering 29rlds....
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Slide systems are all 12V and use your house battery to drive them. The 7 pin only adds power from the vehicle alternator as you drive charging your RV battery. It in no way shuts off or overrides any systems in your trailer.
Most TV's shut the connection off with the key so it won't draw from the TV while not running. You can confirm your specific TV with a multi meter.

Although rare, it could potentially drain your TV battery dead on an overnight if it's not off. Same principle like always hot 12v outlets vs keyed ones in the cab.
Thank you 3'senough, JHerzog, SOMBATFAMILY & everyone else who replied to my question.
Looking back I think one time I tried opening up slide to show TT to some friends I forgot to bring my battery and just tried to plug into 7-pin. Another time my battery wasn't charged enough. Good to know that all I needs is a fully charged battery to operate the slide. I do have a manual crank if needed but have never used it and prefer not to if I don't have to!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 09-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #54

The biggest attraction to our X20E was the slide. It's small, only the couch and only goes out about a foot. But man, what a difference in floor space. People can say all they want about spending time outside, but there are times when that's just not realistic. I did my time in tents and sitting out in pouring rain. It's the reason we have a trailer now. Why would I sit outside when I don't have to?

In June we were in the UP for a long weekend. Rained hard most every evening. My daughter's tent leaked and her and the son-in-law stayed in the trailer with us. We watched movies for 2 nights of the trip. With the slide we never felt cramped.

For lubing the rubber I use baby powder. It works great and was recommended by our dealer.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
The biggest attraction to our X20E was the slide. It's small, only the couch and only goes out about a foot. But man, what a difference in floor space. People can say all they want about spending time outside, but there are times when that's just not realistic. I did my time in tents and sitting out in pouring rain. It's the reason we have a trailer now. Why would I sit outside when I don't have to?

In June we were in the UP for a long weekend. Rained hard most every evening. My daughter's tent leaked and her and the son-in-law stayed in the trailer with us. We watched movies for 2 nights of the trip. With the slide we never felt cramped.

For lubing the rubber I use baby powder. It works great and was recommended by our dealer.
+1 for sure!

For us, it's the heat. It gets SO hot. If you're not in the water, then you certainly can't stand to just sit outside in the heat. So, we're glad to have an air-conditioned space where we can cool off and enjoy ourselves. My son is also a mosquito magnet, and when he gets bit it looks like a fire ant bite, so we spend many evenings inside.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote