Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

Slide No Slide?

I notice a number of folks prefer no slide out. I get and appreciate the slide out advantages for floorplan, but pleas help me understand the reasons for opting for no slide out. Does it make one feel claustrophobic? What's it like during rainy or inclimate weather for more than 2 days? Is the main driver less moving parts and maintenance issues?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Slide outs can be problematic special when their design is flimsy also seals can be poorly installed. But in general most prefer the extra space and put up with the downside of those slide out rooms. In the last 30 years I haven't has a RV which has been full proof around the seals. I have replaced the flimsy nylon bearings (worn) with ball bearings to make things tighter and roll smoother. As soon we can be 10ft wide on the road, No more slide out room for me......lol.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #3

Aljo pretty much nailed it. As an owner of both, I prefer a unit with a slide. Our rig may only be 20 feet long but it feels bigger than the 28 footer without a slide.

(The Murphy bed probably helps with this illusion.)

Your opinion may vary.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:18 PM   #4

am one of those Aljo refers to. I like the added room the slide provides despite the downsides. I am willing to roll the dice that with proper routine and preventative maintenance the slide will remain functional and not leak. I really can't imagine camping with my wife, kids and grand kids without the extra space...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
Site Team

I prefer a non-slide unit. I've always looked at it as one less thing to go bad or have trouble with. Our trips are usually 2-3 days, so the smaller space is less of an issue than if we were in it full time.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:15 PM   #6

There are times we have wanted a slide, especially when we are cooped up during a rain and one of us is cooking at the stove. After walking thru a few slide models at the last RV show, my DW is on board with purchasing a slide unit when we upgrade campers some day. One thing to consider is the added weight of a slide...one slide can add 700-800 lbs over a non-slide unit.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #7

Our first motor home had 3 slides. They were great when parked, but we had too many mechanical problems with them. Our second motor home is a Prevost bus conversion, and we specifically avoided any slides. I recently purchased a very small Jayco TT to use when the wife does not want to come along (I play bluegrass music, and go to several festivals...the wife ain't into bluegrass at all). Again, I opted for no slides. If one uses a camper of any sort for living inside like their house, then slides may be worth the trouble. If, like us, it is a place to sleep, and you spend more time away from it on trips, then no slides works great.
Beadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #8

I much prefer a slide for that extra elbow room and it's just a more comfortable feeling. We all need our space and being 11' wide we seem to have it. When we have friends visit it's like being in your living room and not a box.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-04-2017, 10:40 PM   #9

I once spoke with an older fellow on my first or second outing with our second hand pop up when we got into rv camping. He had an older class A with no slides and was a full timer. I asked why no slides and he said he moved often and not having slides made his departure and set up much quicker, and he felt it performed better in temp extremes and had less chance of leaking in the rain.

2017 Siesmic Wave 355w towed by 2015 Ram 3500
apgambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by apgambino View Post
I once spoke with an older fellow on my first or second outing with our second hand pop up when we got into rv camping. He had an older class A with no slides and was a full timer. I asked why no slides and he said he moved often and not having slides made his departure and set up much quicker, and he felt it performed better in temp extremes and had less chance of leaking in the rain.

2017 Siesmic Wave 355w towed by 2015 Ram 3500
I agree with the old man, 100%.
Beadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #11

While a huge fan of slides for space, agree that there are the times when things go wrong you pull your hair out.

That being said another advantage of no slide is that you have full access to your entire unit amenities while traveling, loading the unit, road stops and quick overnights. If you like to move a lot then a no slide option might be the ticket.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #12

We just bought an Alante 32n and it has three slides.. we love the extra room because our plan is to eventually live in it full time.. we had two slides in our sunseeker and didn't have to many issues but I can see why no slides would be less stressful.. until you are stuck in the rain with a husband and three dogs 🙂
Roamer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #13

Having come from a pop up to our current TT, we really appreciate the slide. So much more room. We can can still access everything we need except for the entertainment center with the slide closed.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #14

What problems? For sure anything mechanical can malfunction but slides have revolutionized TT's and 5'ers. Given the hundreds of thousands maybe millions of units out there the incident of slide issues is minimal. It would be short sided to buy with no slides. In addition to the loss of living space, there will be a much higher fall off on resale value. Remember when power windows were an accessory on cars. If you got one with crank up windows, you lost your value when you tried to trade it in.

Putting a slide out while taking a lunch break in a rest area or overnighting in a wally World parking lot is a simple and quick thing to do.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #15

I'm on the no slide side. Less setup, less maintenance, less chance of water getting in and less weight towing.

I don't need a large living space inside when there is the whole great outdoors just a few feet away. I sit under the awning in the rain all the time. If it is cold, some warmer clothes and a nice fire work great too.

To each their own.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64osby View Post
I'm on the no slide side. Less setup, less maintenance, less chance of water getting in and less weight towing.

I don't need a large living space inside when there is the whole great outdoors just a few feet away. I sit under the awning in the rain all the time. If it is cold, some warmer clothes and a nice fire work great too.

To each their own.
To each their own is right on point. BUT when you sell or trade you will pay the price because there is a significantly lower demand for a TT without a slide.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #17
Site Team

Walk through most campgrounds and units with slide(s) will dominate the scene. Some with 4 or even 5 slides, and some now have slides within slides for even more extension. No doubt some folks report having problems with slides, same as any other RV system.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
To each their own is right on point. BUT when you sell or trade you will pay the price because there is a significantly lower demand for a TT without a slide.
You also pay less for a non-slide trailer at the beginning. So, the overall cost is likely a wash when you factor depreciation.

For what it's worth, I've never had an issue selling a trailer without a slide.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I purchased a used unit in February. It was such a good deal that I should have worn a ski mask.

First camper I bought a used popup, used it for 15 years and sold it for $100 less then what I paid. I doubt that will be repeated with the TT, but the first owner took the big hit on depreciation already.

As long as it stays dry and clean, someone will buy it and they will get a good deal too.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #20

We bought our 26BH, no slide TT, as a couples trailer. Plenty of room for the two of us. From our perspective:

- We boondock at Walmart often, and they don't always appreciate slides out.

- We pull over during the day for lunch, etc., and the trailer's interior is ready for use.

- There's never a tree in the way of your slide-out if there isn't a slide-out.

- Less to set up and less to do on departure.

- Trailers are not carefully crafted items, and the simpler the design, the less chance for things to go wrong. KISS.

- We actually prefer long and narrow as compared to the equivalent square feet of a shorter trailer with a slide-out. Her bed's on one end, and mine's on the other. She snores. Even during they day, the long floorplan allows for a little alone time when reading.

- They weigh more

- They cost more.

Sure, I understand why folks like them. Just not for us.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote