Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #1

Slide not closing all the way?

Hello,

Please could you take a look at the photos below and let me know if this is normal position of the slide after closing? If not, is this something I can adjust by myself?

Thanks!

bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #2

Not sure which slide system you have but we have the "older" through-frame slide-out, and that problem is typically slide-rail timing between the master (motor-driven) and slave rails. Easy enough to reset in most cases.

In any case it's most likely a Lippert slide mechanism and they have all technical documents on their website; Slide-Out Systems
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #3

That first pic is what mine looks like, and is normal to my eyes. I'm not usually looking at my slide in that particular angle on your second pic... it doesn't look super tight but the seal appears to be working. Is this camper new? (looks like it). I'm sure you'll have a warranty list for the dealer at some point, I'd have them look at it just for good measure.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
BCK

It doesn't look normal to me. Hard to tell from the pic but looks like an open gap on the bottom with the seal not even touching. It is a fairly easy adjustment to adjust the slide down on the outside edge to tighten up the seal. That adjustment changes the clearance between the slide and flooring as well so if you adjust it wrong it will damage your floor when the slide goes in and out - if its on warranty you may be better to get a dealer to do it so you don't take that risk.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #5

Thanks Guys! Yes, this is a brand new trailer. The bottom of the slide does not go all the way to the wall as the top of the slide does. The slide operates just fine, my concern was rather about towing with the slide no entirely in place... if this is the case...
Old 09-12-2016, 12:08 PM   #6

yeah, on second look, the top is definitely more in than the bottom. I'm reading through the lippert manual now to see what is involved in adjusting this. If your dealer isn't all that far away, I'd have them do it. I do like to learn about this stuff as it comes up though cause that warranty won't last forever. Although it looks like a simple procedure. (page 15 of the service manual abarkl linked to above) (http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...Out-Manual.pdf)... that said, this part scares me "Mechanical Room Adjustment
Note: All slide-out room adjustments MUST be performed by certified service technicians. Adjustments
made by non-certified persons may void any and all warranty claims."

Apparently you need a degree now to turn a wrench a quarter turn
Old 09-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #7

Generally, I would prefer not to touch this. However, it will take me a couple of hours to take the trailer to the dealer and back... and the time is precious with two small kids

I will take a look at the manual (thank you Bansai!) and also at the slide whether this is something for me.

For the time being, do you think that this is safe to tow with the slide not completely in place?
Old 09-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
For the time being, do you think that this is safe to tow with the slide not completely in place?
If the slide has transit bars it doesn't look like a big risk.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #9

As far as towing with it not all the way in, I just asked my dealership about this - because my slide was damaged from a falling tree and couldn't go in all the way. They told me just to watch it in my mirror while towing and that I would not cause any damage. Anyhow did tow it like that and all was fine

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Jon 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #10

It's not so far out of whack that I'd sweat towing it if it was me... within reason... short trips, hopefully not in the rain... hopefully fixed soon

Honestly it sounds like a very easy adjustment you could make yourself in less than an hour. If you want to bring it in a half inch more than it is, maybe start by adjusting for half that distance first and make sure the slide is operating correctly, not dragging on anything or hosing your floor inside for some reason. If all is good, tweak it a little more.

Frankly, it's going to be impossible for the dealer to know you touched it to begin with. I think that disclaimer was just in case someone does something super stupid with their slideout and ends up dropping it on the asphalt. This isn't one of those cases in my book. I'd go for it.

So, the main thing I'd be looking at is that adjustment that is in the manual looks like it adjusts the *entire* slide, not just the bottom where your issue is. If that is the case, and you adjust the bottom, to close that gap, what happens to the top of the slide?? I would be concerned about any changes you make to the bottom of the slide, impacting the top as well... just take it slow and if the top starts binding, or looks like it's going in too far all of a sudden, back out your changes and take it to the dealer before something is damaged and they make you eat the cost. I don't mean to over think this.. just trying to cover everything I'd be looking at.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #11

I have a similar issue on my Jayflight at the top but upon further inspection I found that the slide IS contacting the seal, and it just appears that the aluminum trim is bent out a bit. I did find that all the bolts on my slide adjustment were loose. I'm thinking the dealer tried to adjust for the slight gap and that was the best they could do. I made a few adjustments and tightened everything down. "LEFT WELL ENOUGH ALONE"

Yours has too much of a gap. I would personally adjust it myself, BUT you have to watch because you can create a gap at the top if you pull the bottom in too far.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Thanks Guys! Yes, this is a brand new trailer. The bottom of the slide does not go all the way to the wall as the top of the slide does. The slide operates just fine, my concern was rather about towing with the slide no entirely in place... if this is the case...
One of ours looks just like yours, tighter at the top than the bottom. Dealer looked at it in early May and said no harm in using it through the rest of the season. As long as it's tighter at the top than the bottom, no issues. The inner seals are still working and will keep any water from getting in.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #13

Thank you all! As I said, I prefer not to touch this and will probably wait for other items to pop up and have the dealer to fix them.

Thank you!
Old 09-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #14

We also have been having slide issues. We have had it back to the dealer 5 times to no avail. Buffalo rv one. Had certified technician certificate on the wall. It is a 16 hour class.
Iplantflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplantflowers View Post
We also have been having slide issues. We have had it back to the dealer 5 times to no avail. Buffalo rv one. Had certified technician certificate on the wall. It is a 16 hour class.
Holy cow... maybe a few of us should take that class.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:21 AM   #16

Just a couple stupid questions; have you checked to make sure there is nothing in the way keeping the slide from closing? Also, do you have a fully charged and functional battery? 😀
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:06 AM   #17

my jay flight does the same, but only one lower corner is out about 2 inches. hope an adjustment will take care of it, i dont see anything bent.
Fordguy5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #18

Yeah, nothing is blocking the slide from closing. The battery was not fully charged when I was closing this, but it is now and I tried to close it again a couple of times.