Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #21

The only thing to do is call Jayco to see if your RV has backing plates in the slide outs. Mine didn't so we couldn't have slide toppers. If you don't have the backing plates according to Jayco the slide toppers will break the flange on the slide.

And yes we wanted them and were quoted. After the sale the dealer discovered this.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #22

I read all the responses so far. Agree.
I got mine added before I picked up the trailer (they seem to do it quicker then).
I tried to convince by brother in-law earlier this year. He declined. After a few trips of leaves, hot sun, rain noise, etc, he decided he should have. Now it will cost him more.

I've not noticed any wind noise...
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #23

We had them on our Class A and on our previous Class C and my biggest complaint was the cost of replacing them in our hot sunny climate. My current Greyhawk 31FS does not have them and I can't say I've missed them in the five years we've owned the rig. A couple of times I've worried about junk, (leaves and twigs) up there but it's never been a problem. We often have very high winds in the west and I would worry about them since we never go to bed or leave the rig with the awning out.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #24

I'll preface by saying I don't have toppers so I'm not an expert. I will give what I see during my winter trips, however. I do a lot of winter camping and see those that have toppers always having to clear the toppers before bringing in the slide if there's snow on it. They almost always have multiple 2x4s under the topper to help keep the weight of the snow off of the topper.

Like I said, I don't have them so have never tried with snow. But, that is what I've seen in the winter time with toppers. Someone with more experience can probably tell you better about that. Just something I thought I'd throw out in case you winter camp.

For reference, I spend about 6-8 weeks each winter in the mountains of either Colorado or Utah for ski trips, which is why I mentioned the info above. I always have to get on top of my unit before I leave anyway to get all the snow off, as after that amount of time, there's usually an ice sheet or two under the snow. I don't want that flying off and hurting anyone or causing an accident as I drive down the highway. I know others don't as I've seen those come off going down the highway. But, I don't want to be that person.

Otherwise, I've always been jealous of those that have the toppers. They look nice and do seem to help keep stuff off the slide top.

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #25

We live in the southwest away from leaves and debris. Don’t have toppers and haven’t needed. If we lived and camped around a lot of trees might consider, but not worth the expense here.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #26

Agree with Grumpy..4 years, and love them..Nothing worse than having to climb up either on roof or ladder to clean leaves/pine needles off top of slide before retracting.
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
I installed mine with the help of a friend. Really easy to do. Etrailer has a couple of good how to videos. Took us about 2 hours for both slides.
Know any videos showing how to replace an existing topper on a slide that has ripped ? Videos seen are to install everything

Also on awning the retract tension has quit, know how to fix the tension ?
4468461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
Did you order it like that? Most of the Flights I looked at did not have them.

For those of us looking to add them after delivery, I am curious how difficult they are to install at home.
I ordered mine with then being installed by jayco at the factory.
CampingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #29

Without a slide topper, leaves and twigs are one concern, but you can't imagine how exciting it can become until you have to break camp in the middle of a toad-strangling downpour....and have to bring in a slideout with water cascading down the sides. Don't ask me how I know..............
MoRyde CRE 3000 Suspension Upgrade w/WetBolt kit.
RoadMaster 2 Axle Shock Absorber Kit.
1985 Coachman Catlina 20' (sold)
Sbrinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #30

I personally would not have a slide without a topper. I agree with the person that said it should be standard on TT and FW with slides. I have had to close up in the rain and I hate to think what would happen if I was bringing that water inside on top of the slide. I have never had any trouble with the wind. The toppers should be nice and tight so they don't make much noise. Over time if they develop slack, you can adjust the tension. My only comment is if you stay in one place for any length of time, check the tops of slides for bird's nests. We had a bird build a nest on top of the bedroom slide during a long Memorial Day weekend up in Elkhart, Indiana.

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #31

Slide-out awnings

Ordered my 2018 Jayco RETS338, week later found out you can order factory installed slide-out awnings, called my dealer and had him add the slide out awnings to the order. Cheaper and match the trailer.
JLFrisby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #32

Would not do without. Even leaves and small twigs can foul up the top slide in seal.
Tearing down camp is at best a necessary downer. Climbing up to sweep it off is no fun even in good weather. New ones seem to not have a wind / run off problem. If you do, a $2.00 floaty ring will hold it up. Put a string on it to pull it out when leaving.
I also think it should be standard. Ya I know COST. If you're buying new, you could get them to work with you. At least the labor part.
ml4moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #33

They do keep the tops of the slides clean. Don't have trash when you move slides back in. Wind and heavy rain can be very loud with the wind/rain flapping the cover. So both pros and cons. Would presume the clean slide top would happen more often than the wind/rain waking you up.
W Kearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I am purchasing a new trailer with two slides and am considering putting slide covers/awnings on the slides. Liking for pros and cons of installing them.
We have had them on two of our rigs.

Pros-
1)No junk on the roof to clean off before retracting.
2) Secondary weather protection.

Cons-
1) Wind problems.
2) Need to run slides out to prevent mildew if wet prior to storage.
3) I have seen several unfurl on the freeway in a headwind.

Our current rig has no covers. I Carry a WORX cordless leaf blower with a gutter cleaning attachment. It blows the debris off prior to closing the slides. It will also multitask and inflate our raft.

Life is short never miss an adventure and keep searching for new things to do for the first time.
Cenvalleysteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #35

Slideout toppers

My brother-in-law highly recommended we get the slideout toppers before taking possession of our brand new Jayco Envoy in 2017. They have worked well in keeping leaves and rain out of the RV. While we were told that the awning should never be left extended during the night or while away from the site, no one told us the same should be done with the slideout toppers. We learned the hard way last summer while camping in New Mexico. A 40mph wind ripped through our bare hilltop campsite during the night and, unbeknownst to us, tore the edge of the dining table/sofa slideout topper. We noticed it wasn't rolling up straight toward the end of our five-week vacation. When we got home and extended the slideout I found the tear where it connects on the roller. Our dealer said it was not covered by the extended warranty and our only recourse was to buy a brand new one for $400. I declined and said we'd live with it as is.

The big question in my mind is, how can you retract a slider with a topper on it when it's the bed that slides out and if the bed isn't extended we can't sleep in it? You can't. We definitely don't want leaves and rain getting into the bed area and so far that slide topper hasn't torn.

Has anyone repaired a torn slide topper and, if so, with what? The old emergency standby of duct tape seems like it would deteriorate into a brittle sheet with sticky goo left behind to damage the topper even further in our Florida climate.
susan34982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I am purchasing a new trailer with two slides and am considering putting slide covers/awnings on the slides. Liking for pros and cons of installing them.
Currently own a 2017 white hawk 24RKS. Have been advised by the dealer that due to the distance between the top of my slide and the gutter system, there is insufficient room to install a slide topper. Has anyone had a positive experience having them installed on this particular TT? If so, would like specifics on installation (Who installed, product, topper cover included, etc.). Thanks.
fdeaners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #37

Slide Toppers...

I put one on the single slide with the first TT we had. Just got our 280 RSOK a few months ago that has two slides. We had he dealer install. Bottom line, NEVER leave home without them. We’ve never had trouble with wind noise. Too many things to do as we de-camp and climbing up to get leaves off is one thing I don’t have to worry about. Plus, if it’s raining, then I at least keep the water off the top. Just wipe off the sides before sliding in. Just my $0.02 worth.
TXJACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan34982 View Post
Has anyone repaired a torn slide topper and, if so, with what? The old emergency standby of duct tape seems like it would deteriorate into a brittle sheet with sticky goo left behind to damage the topper even further in our Florida climate.
I repaired a tear in my main awning with this tape last year and still going strong. Never yellows, stays flexible and sticks like there's no tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Cryst...18245321&psc=1
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #39

Don’t leave home without them.
Jayflight 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4468461 View Post
Know any videos showing how to replace an existing topper on a slide that has ripped ? Videos seen are to install everything

Also on awning the retract tension has quit, know how to fix the tension ?
I bought a replacement awning from these folks. You will find some DIY vids there.
https://www.toughtopawnings.com

The new fabric seems high quality but shows grime quicker than the OE. Anyway, go for the “how-to”.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote