Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2022, 07:50 AM   #1

Slide Out Floor Gap when fully extended

I am looking at the Jayco Jay Flight 29 BHDS. The dinette / couch slide out floor is raised, causing a slight step. Is this normal or can it be adjusted. My last trailer slide our did not have such a step when fully opened. And on this unit, the carpet hits the sink island and bunches it up and there you can see the large step in slide to floor.
Thanks
Dean
Attached Thumbnails
Slideout Step1.jpg   Slideout Step2.jpg  
tazzman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:40 AM   #2

Thats a normal raised area for that style slide mechanism. All of my trailers have had the bump on the front edge of the slide.

What concerns me is the raised portion in front of the drawer on the dinette. That doesn't look right.

JMO but I'd pass on that TT. I would get tired of the bunched up carpet all the time. There are a gazillion trailers to buy. Why by one with a design deficiency?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:31 AM   #3

goducks, I agree. The carpet is not attractive. But there are not a lot of trailers that have the options/setup I want. And it's been taken good care of, and fair price.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:42 AM   #4

goducks, so you think the portion of the slideout is higher in front of the dinette or is it just the carpet pushed in making it look higher?
Thanks
Dean
Old 03-29-2022, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzman1961 View Post
I am looking at the Jayco Jay Flight 29 BHDS. The dinette / couch slide out floor is raised, causing a slight step. Is this normal or can it be adjusted. My last trailer slide our did not have such a step when fully opened. And on this unit, the carpet hits the sink island and bunches it up and there you can see the large step in slide to floor.
Thanks
Dean
The slideout floor is always going to be a little higher than the main floor. That can't be avoided. They overlap. But the slideout flooring pushing against the kitchen island and bunching up is an engineering problem from Jayco. My 2022 28.5 Eagle has the same problem, the only difference is my slideout has vinyl instead of carpeting, and it too bunches up against the island. My dealer is in contact with Jayco "looking into it". There was a thread on here about this, but I can't find it right now.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:05 AM   #6

yooper906 - when you are fully extended is the gap so much that when you step on it, it flexes down or does it lay flat to lower flooring until it starts to retract?
Dean
Old 03-29-2022, 10:15 AM   #7
Site Team

I have opposing slides in my fifth wheel. One is a flush floor center drive and the other is not. It just comes in and when it's out it is the same level. Jayco specified that the flush floor slide should be, (ODS) retracted first and the door slide slide, flush floor extended first.

This prevents the carpet from bunching up when they are closed.
Attached Thumbnails
84AF8C76-5DB4-419F-A267-C5C1072CA8CC.jpeg  
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
yooper906 - when you are fully extended is the gap so much that when you step on it, it flexes down or does it lay flat to lower flooring until it starts to retract?
Dean
The slide vinyl stays bent up for a short time, then relaxes flat after a few minutes. With this flexing and buckling I have no idea how long this vinyl will last. It's been recorded with my dealer and Jayco. I've heard nothing back from either. If I was really ambitious, I would try and notch out the bottom of the island to make a little clearance for the slide vinyl. Right now just waiting to hear from either one.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 03-29-2022, 10:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have opposing slides in my fifth wheel. One is a flush floor center drive and the other is not. It just comes in and when it's out it is the same level. Jayco specified that the flush floor slide should be, (ODS) retracted first and the door slide slide, flush floor extended first.

This prevents the carpet from bunching up when they are closed.
I also have opposing slides, but an island between them. It's the slide with the dining area and recliners that butts up against the island and buckles.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 03-29-2022, 11:11 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
I also have opposing slides, but an island between them. It's the slide with the dining area and recliners that butts up against the island and buckles.
Yep, I can visualize it has no where to go but flex. Sounds like a poor design, at least on mine they addressed it and gave some direction on how to prevent it.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-29-2022, 12:13 PM   #11

norty1 - one slide does not affect the other. The island is not part of the other slide. It's stationary
Old 03-29-2022, 12:22 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
norty1 - one slide does not affect the other. The island is not part of the other slide. It's stationary
I know but the island is in the way!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-29-2022, 01:13 PM   #13

norty1 - OK, I thought you were trying to suggest that is how I would eliminate my issue. So, wanted to make clear it was stationary. So, with yours, when both are in, they will ride each other, so the sequence matters.
thanks for sharing
Dean
Old 03-29-2022, 01:16 PM   #14

yooper906 - sounds like we have the same setup. In the picture, i am guess this has been closed up all winter, so looks bad. But everyone says it will lay flat. What the hell were they thinking when they designed this setup. Like you said, why did they not notch the bottom of the island to is slipped underneath.
Dean
Old 03-29-2022, 01:35 PM   #15

Quote:
yooper906 - sounds like we have the same setup. In the picture, i am guess this has been closed up all winter, so looks bad. But everyone says it will lay flat. What the hell were they thinking when they designed this setup. Like you said, why did they not notch the bottom of the island to is slipped underneath.
Dean
I have no idea how this slipped beyond the design stage on these trailers. As far as I know, there is no "fix" from Jayco or my dealer. I can't get an answer from either. Anyway, we have a really short summer up here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, so I'm going to try and notch out the base of the island. By measuring, it's going to take notching back less than 2 inches, more like an inch and a quarter. I'm not going to cut the slideout vinyl. I'd like to get at it right now, but there is another snow/ice storm coming tonight. A few days without power last week, could be another rerun tonight.

If you have any ideas, they are welcome!

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 04-16-2022, 12:43 PM   #16

We removed the carpet from our Pinnacle 36SSWS and replaced it with vinyl tile. With the 1/4" ply sub-floor that we added, there is a pronounced step but anything is better than the ratty carpet. With three dogs and four cats, carpet is a problem. To treat the lip, I added "Stair nose" and it looks like factory -made. we quickly got used to it and no one has tripped. We also removed carpet from the bedroom step to the couch.
Attached Thumbnails
floor_Closeup.jpg   Stair_Nose.jpg   StepBR.jpg  
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 03:10 PM   #17

problem solved

Found out why there was a big step. I knew something was not right. Turns out the slide was not opening all the way on the bottom. and there was a 1" gap at the bottom seal. The actuator nut that tells the actuator how far out to push the rail was backed off several inches from the bracket. I slowest adjusted the nut back to bracket by the time I got to the bracket, which is where it should have been the seal was seated on bottom and the slide was level and very little step, which is the way it should have been.
Thanks for all your suggestions
Dean

Tags
slide out