Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #1

Slide out on door side

So I was wondering those of you that have the trailers with the slide on the door side. How do you like it. That was a big reason I went with the Eagle 314BDS. I personally don't like the slide sticking out on the door side. It looks as if it would be in the way. And I would probally always hit it. You also dont get as long an awning . The ones that I have seen at shows not all Jaycos with the slide on the door side just seems like to much. So how does it work out for you guys. Dislike and likes.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #2

This is based on the "tours" of different units on the dealer lot as we don't have any real world experience yet. The initial tours were 2013 units that the door swung all the way back against the wall, and I didn't notice the slide at all. The 2014 units we looked at the door only opened to 90* and it did feel a little narrow/cramped between the slide and door. Again though, this was on the dealer lot with units packed in pretty tight, so it may be different once we get out there. At least on the White Hawks the door side slide is 24" (vs. 36" off door) and we will have a 20' awning.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Site Team

We love the opposing rear slides on our rig. The only dislike is the fp has the door right next to the edge of the awning and when it rains you have to shut the door and the steps are always wet.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We love the opposing rear slides on our rig. The only dislike is the fp has the door right next to the edge of the awning and when it rains you have to shut the door and the steps are always wet.
X2. We have a 5er with the opposing slides, and wouldn't have it any other way. It really opens up the living/kitchen space. Norty1 is right about the door being right at the edge of the awning, but we get around that by putting up a small tarp across the end awning support bars if we are going to be there a while. I would much rather put up with wet steps than be without the opposing slides.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #5

x3 on the opposing slides.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #6

You can't believe all the room back there when there's opposing slides. Everyone has remarked about how huge the living area is. We've not found any problems when it's raining out. Go and tour a unit with two opposite slides. Try it.
Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Site Team

We love the fp, just requires some adjustment. IOW, if it freezes after a rain, the steps will be slippery.

I am going out this week for 4 days and will do some experiments with a small tarp tarp as mentioned.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #8

Our new to us Eagle has opposing slides, but we don't take delivery until May. I think we'll love it, but we're also on a seasonal site and will be extending the deck to fill the space that slide will create.

The awning does cover the door if I recall correctly.
Oh, and I have a tent... Somewhere around here....
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #9

We had several TTs over the years with no slide on the entry side and a Awning that almost was the length of the TT which was wonderful with kids and weekend use.

Now it is just the two of us and we fulltime, yes we have a shorter awning and a slide that sticks out just past the entry door but the interior is much more roomy which is well worth the slide behind the entry door.

Never had a problem with the slide being in the way or preventing us from getting into a site.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote