Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #1

Slide Out Squeal

2015 Whitehawk 27rbok.

The slide out is making quite a lot of noise in and out. It's not a metallic grind more a rubbing. Quite loud. I've lubricated the gear and tracks and the square bars that run next to them with Camco Slideout lube spray. There's also a tubular arm that runs parallel on the left side. I sprayed that as well but I ran out of lube spray. I also waxed the sides of the slide out and used 3 in 1 RV Rubber Seal on the seals for good measure.

I've read that the rollers can freeze up and the sound makes me think that might be it but I can't see any rollers when I crawl underneath. The undercarriage is insulated so if they exist on this unit and they're behind that I'd have to take the insulation off to get at them. Before I did that I thought I'd check and see if y'all had any suggestions. Are there rollers on this unit or is that tubular arm the likely suspect.

The trailer has been sitting for over a year but we're getting ready to leave, in theory tomorrow, but I may delay a day to get this problem sorted.
StevePowerTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePowerTX View Post
2015 Whitehawk 27rbok.

The slide out is making quite a lot of noise in and out. It's not a metallic grind more a rubbing. Quite loud. I've lubricated the gear and tracks and the square bars that run next to them with Camco Slideout lube spray. There's also a tubular arm that runs parallel on the left side. I sprayed that as well but I ran out of lube spray. I also waxed the sides of the slide out and used 3 in 1 RV Rubber Seal on the seals for good measure.

I've read that the rollers can freeze up and the sound makes me think that might be it but I can't see any rollers when I crawl underneath. The undercarriage is insulated so if they exist on this unit and they're behind that I'd have to take the insulation off to get at them. Before I did that I thought I'd check and see if y'all had any suggestions. Are there rollers on this unit or is that tubular arm the likely suspect.

The trailer has been sitting for over a year but we're getting ready to leave, in theory tomorrow, but I may delay a day to get this problem sorted.
Just a guess but on my slides, Schwintek and one other kind, but the rollers were just inside the swiper seals by the rails upper and lower. Mine made horrendous squealing noises until I sprayed them.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #3

Can't find them but maybe I'm missing something obvious. I've been looking for something tubular in shape but are the rollers in question actually the two either side of the round gear that fits into the track that moves the slide out?
Old 10-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #4

So, duh, the rollers in question are the two donuts either side of the circular gear. Bit of 3 in 1 Slideout spray and she's quiet as a church mouse. It's so frustrating. This always happens with me. It's always something so obvious and simple. Live and learn.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePowerTX View Post
So, duh, the rollers in question are the two donuts either side of the circular gear. Bit of 3 in 1 Slideout spray and she's quiet as a church mouse. It's so frustrating. This always happens with me. It's always something so obvious and simple. Live and learn.
LOL, that's what I was trying to tell you. They should be right inside the sweeper seals along the gear tracks. Glad you got it!
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #6

Glad you put out a post on this, though. That's gonna help a lot of other people. And glad you found that squeaky mouse!

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgissteele View Post
Glad you put out a post on this, though. That's gonna help a lot of other people. And glad you found that squeaky mouse!
Me included. A new in June, 2018 Whitehawk has a very slow, noisy slide. It even stopped half way in for a moment. Lights dimmed and it resumed. Also when it is all the way out theere appears to be more slide at the bottom then at the top. (looking at it outside. Any suggetions?
Ramman is offline   Reply With Quote