Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2019, 05:10 PM   #1

Slide-out Wiper Seal

Having some difficulty with water entering my 2020 Feather 27RL when I pull in the slide after a rain. When my slide topper puddles and I close the slide water drips down both slides as it closes leaving me to paper towel it up. Technician claims that is normal and that the wiper seal does not completely keep water from entering the trailer. Looking at my slide seal when the slide is open I see that not all the seal comes out to form a uniform bond to the slide. Top of seal is fully extended touching the wall of the slide and the bottom of the seal is trapped inside the wall. Is it normal for water to drip down the slide as it enters the trailer? Should not the seal be a uniform distance from the wall of the slide on both sides top to bottom. Thanking all in advance for your insights! Just want some advice before I continue my discussions with the dealer.
Gregory Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:18 PM   #2
Site Team

The seals aren't going to keep every bit out, but they should be more uniform on their contact with the slide side. You'd be better off showing it to your dealer in person.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #3

x2 JFlightRisk. Be patient and ensure you point this out to the service rep. I use color tape and mark every location. Service reps are very, very busy and to often communications between their warranty department and service writers the ball gets dropped. Tape helps the focus.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #4

Are you saying that water collects in the extended slide topper/shade from the rain, and when you close the slide with the standing/collected water still in the topper, water then gets in past the seals??

If so, have you tried "dumping" the topper first before retracting the slide??
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Are you saying that water collects in the extended slide topper/shade from the rain, and when you close the slide with the standing/collected water still in the topper, water then gets in past the seals??

If so, have you tried "dumping" the topper first before retracting the slide??
I will certainly dump the topper next time or design something to put under the topper so it doesn't sag and collect water. I am working with my dealer to adjust the slide so my side wiper seals are a uniform space from top to bottom.
Gregory Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Peck View Post
snip..... or design something to put under the topper so it doesn't sag and collect water......snip
This is what I made up:

More detail (material used, etc.) at Post #133 here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-51005-8.html

I haven't had any issues with the side wiper seals, but I did have an issue with the horizontal wiper seal not making adequate contact with the slide roof when fully extended. This issue has been addressed under warranty (re-installed new styrofoam riser under EPDM material).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #7

Bob, is that an awning above the slids?
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

skids,

No, a slide topper.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
I will certainly dump the topper next time or design something to put under the topper so it doesn't sag and collect water. I am working with my dealer to adjust the slide so my side wiper seals are a uniform space from top to bottom.
I used a small dodge ball (for kids) from the dollar store that fit in my topper to keep water from ponding up in the topper. Raised the material enough where rain water just ran off, yet soft enough not to stretch or damage anything while inbetween the topper and slide roof.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Having some difficulty with water entering my 2020 Feather 27RL when I pull in the slide after a rain. When my slide topper puddles and I close the slide water drips down both slides as it closes leaving me to paper towel it up. Technician claims that is normal and that the wiper seal does not completely keep water from entering the trailer. Looking at my slide seal when the slide is open I see that not all the seal comes out to form a uniform bond to the slide. Top of seal is fully extended touching the wall of the slide and the bottom of the seal is trapped inside the wall. Is it normal for water to drip down the slide as it enters the trailer? Should not the seal be a uniform distance from the wall of the slide on both sides top to bottom. Thanking all in advance for your insights! Just want some advice before I continue my discussions with the dealer.

From what you say, sounds like the seal is not flipping directions properly? I wipe mine down with silicone spray on a rag. Works wonders.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote