Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Jayco camper satisfacation
Satisfied 22 73.33%
Somewhat Satisfied 4 13.33%
Not Satisfied 2 6.67%
Very Unsatisfied 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #1

Slide Problem

I just bought a jayco 2015 travel trailer. I start inspecting things and the large slide will not go in all the way on the rear corner and raises up on the rear corner so much that the fender (plastic) is higher and is jacked up on that corner. It also doesn't seal on the back side being a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of from the seal to the camper? Front scissor jack switch in the front only works in one direction, the passenger side bay door is so out of alignment that it's not square in the hole and when you shut it, it hits on left side bottom corner and looks terrible just looking at it. We were told by the dealer in Oklahoma City that it was a 10 Gallon water heater and took his word, get home and showers were real short and I looked at it and it was a six gallon. End caps on bench sees missing on one set and they are finally sending them after two months and will have to wait on hardware. One window in large slide is major out of square. I cannot believe that they let things out of their production line in such shape and especially at the cost of the travel trailer. I'm a welder and if I miss an Xray on the pipe I'm held accountable all they told me was to deal with the dealer who seems to not care. Anyone know what might cause the slide to rise up on one corner and not seal? Thanks Crappiebait
Crappiebait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having problems. Hang in there with Jayco and the dealer to get the new rig right. It has a 2 year warranty but there is no reason for the dealer to let that rig out of the lot with the problems you describe.

Was a PDI done with you before taking possession?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #3

I may have had the rearing up slide problem. My Eagle did this new, both sides of the big slide. The slide would rear up when retracting it. Turns out it was too close to the top of the "slide opening" so it would drag at the top until it was reared back enough to lower the top and abruptly release its grip and slam down.
I just bought a new 318 eagle. It has three slides, all of them malfunctioning. When the dealer finished I had had possession of the trailer 45 days and they had had it 55 days.
I doubt that I will every buy another Jayco.
leoslaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoslaton View Post
I just bought a new 318 eagle. It has three slides, all of them malfunctioning. When the dealer finished I had had possession of the trailer 45 days and they had had it 55 days.
I doubt that I will every buy another Jayco.
As was mentioned before, sounds like you have a bad dealer:

#1 It never should have left the lot in that condition
#2 They obviously don't have any service techs who know how to fix it.

Just my 3 cents
Old 03-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #5

Extremely satisfied.

2001 3230 Designer MH, couple very minor issues.

2008 35GS Seneca Carefree Awning needed adjustment, Norcold Fridge door hinge broke (Norcold replaced door)

2015 Pinncacle 38 FLSA Bad valve in A/C, Jayco paid for replacement while we were parked for an extended stay. Didn't have to move the FW.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Grumpy;283798]Extremely satisfied.

X2 and it's a 2010 Hybrid EXP21M, I never want to sell it and I'll give it to my kids first even thou they might not want it! And it has a long and 36" slide to boot.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #7

Been very happy with our Jayco's. The second one is older than the first by 2 years and has a slide, which other than the problems I caused (burned up the controller by jumping the motor in a pinch, thanks to a blow out), has been problem free. The rubber seal around the slide is warn and should be replaced, I just haven't done it yet. Its also an old power gear slide out, no hydrolics to deal with. As far as the short shower, if this is your first RV, you will have short showers unless you turn on and off the water in between washing and rinsing. It does help to have the gas and electric turned on (if available) when using the shower. If we are at a full hook up site, we will run both and can take longer showers with out turning off the shower head because the two fuels will keep up enough to keep the shower warm. If we are at an electric only CG, we will only use electric, this helps keep the showers short and waste water tanks off full.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #8

I've been very happy with mine. Only a couple minor issues. One that was pretty big, but it was made "minor" because of my dealer. I have worked hard to create a relationship with my dealer, and the owner of the dealership knows me by name and asks about my DW and son when he sees me. I will likely buy my next RV from there, but much to his dissatisfaction, that probably won't be for a LONG time.

As for the problems the OP is having, I would never have signed the paperwork on that rig. Most of those issues should have been evident for even a marginal customer PDI. Except for the water heater, but I know now not to expect a salesman (or even a tech) to be quite that familiar with a trailer on their lot. And some trailers do have a 10Gal tank, so he could have just been confused; always verify that information your self if it is important to you.

If I couldn't get satisfaction from my dealer on the repairs, I would be on the phone with Jayco getting authorization to take it somewhere else and filing a complaint about the dealership.

Unfortunately, I'm going to expect some issues with my trailer, but I also expect the dealer and Jayco to stand behind their product, and so far I have not been disappointed.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #9

And even if your hot water tank was 10 gallons, your showers are still going to be short. If you were to expect hot water for a continuous running shower, it won't happen. Maybe for about 5 minutes but then it'll go cold until it heats up again. Sea showers are the norm for camping usually.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #10

2012 29RLDS bought new July 2012, thank God for the 2 year warranty. it was back in the shop almost every time I took it out during that time.
Now I have a leak from the shower door but I think I have that fixed.
The black rubber seal on the big slide is falling a part now and I guess I will have to replace that on my dime.
I do regular maintenance on my trailer, as far as packing the bearings, sealing the roof every year, wax the thing every year and lube the slide seals inside and out, I guess something just fall apart.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #11

Crappiebait it is a shame that Jayco would let a unit leave the factory with the defects that you have mentioned. I am convinced that they check nothing at the factory and let the poor dealer suffer with the consequences of the customer.
There are Jayco Cheerleaders on this sight that love to blame the dealers but the
dealer only delivers the product. Maybe he should have caught some of your problems but Jayco has to take the blunt of the blame for delivering a defective unit to the dealer.
Keep working with your dealer and I hope things turn out well because camping is a joy.

ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #12

On the hot water issue, when we camp with electric, when it comes time to shower, I will use both 120v and LP on the water heater, it recovers much faster. Just my $0.02.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:14 AM   #13

Thanks for all the info, first it was my fault for trusting the dealer as I could not make the walk thru and trusted them. I'm a pipe welder and travel a lot and practically live in the camper so I have a hard time getting it in to get them to fix it and couldn't stand much down time as I have to work. I agree Jayco is lacking very much so in their Quality Control Department! Dealer said they would look it over for me as I could not be there and therefore it was a trust issue and I know better now. We've pulled it twice now and the slide has not come all the way in on the rear corner nor sealed. I have to do what I have to do to keep working. Be nice if they had portable techs for such problems. I have finally received the bench seat ends but the hardware will be sent later. I told them I would install them myself. I had a fifth wheel thor colorado and a snowbird fifth wheel before this and they each had a ten gallon water tank and we had no problems with hot water issues (length of time) with them. A dealer should know what he has and what he's selling. Called Jayco and all the told me was to keep working with the dealer, I informed them of their quality control issue and they didn't seem to care. Again when I make a bad weld I have to make it right or I'm gone. I stand behind my work and quality is always at the top of the list. I'm held accountable for the work I do, by inspectors, X-ray etc. Thanks Crappiebait
Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #14

Would really like to get the slide issue resolve even if I could find a good rv tech who could do it or tell me what he thinks is wrong. It's the thing that bothers me the most. I'm nowhere near a camping world where we bought the camper. I can't find the pic i took of it closed but if I find it I will post it. Heeelp! Don't want to pull it to much that way.Crappiebait
Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #15

We've been satisfied but is starts with the dealer. The absorb any manufacturing issue by performing a complete inspection within a few days of receiving the rigs from Jayco and getting them on the hook for corrective action early.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #16

Thanks Stingray75, the Dealer dropped the ball!

Anyone know someone who might know what's wrong with the slide I could talk too? Crappiebait
Old 03-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #17

Have you tried to do a visual inspection under the floor of the slide to make sure something isnt hindering it closing correctly... i know some on the forum had said that screws protruded from under the slide snagging things ... i would get outside and look under it and also inside and raise the carpet and see if something visual is causing it
Old 03-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #18

Crappiebait
Not sure how to search by name but. Try to find where webby posted about his slide out. He also posted a picture and how to adjust the slide if it is the slide that you have.

Several Questions about Issues with my Slide out / Webby
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #19

Every time I read these types of posts it reminds me again why it pays to buy local. I understand that Jayco ultimately is responsible for the type of trailer that leaves their plant. And I also feel bad for the dealers who get stuck repairing things that should work flawlessly on a brand new trailer.
But as with almost everything a person buys that has numerous complex systems involved, "flawless" is a rare commodity. I feel badly for those who buy from dealers many miles or hours from their homes and then find that repairs or adjustments are needed. But I am grateful that we have a conscientious dealer 2 miles from where we live. I wish you well in getting your trailer sorted out.
Glen
G&BOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #20

We had too many serious problems with our Greyhawk. Slide failures that the dealers didn't have the technical skills to repair. Our new Motorhome spent far more time sitting at the dealer waiting for repairs than in our possession. Extremely frustrating, and Jayco didn't seem to care. Finally, as a last resort, had to hire an attorney to deal with Jayco. We're satisfied now. Sometimes you need a law degree to communicate with knuckleheads.