Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #1

Slide Topper

Just ordered first TT with a slide out.

Does anyone use a topper to protect the gaskets from UV rays and just junk in general. Not sure I want to take a trip on the roof to sweep the top off every trip.

Is there an issue with them "billowing" in windy conditions....I'm fanatical about the awning be tied down or retracted in the wind.....or as the DW says, "the slightest breeze"

As always, thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.
I would also appreciate any brand recommendations ,if applicable, as well.

Thanks
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #2

I have them and love them. Convience mostly. Keeps the tops clean and dry without hassle. Mine don't blow in the wind or make any noise. Mine only puddle water in extreme rain and if they ever do, I just retract real quick and extend. If you retract slide without topper and a puddle on top, it will spill down the sides and into the camper.

People on here either swear by them or say they are a total waste of money. Lots of threads if you search. I strongly recommend them if you do a lot of wooded camping or live somewhere where it rains.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #3

I got my dealer to throw in a topper free as part of the negotiation for the sale. Not sure if I'd have paid the asking price bit happy I'm getting one.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #4

I don't have them on mine ... thought about it but the price for 3 slides after everything else was sort of cost prohibitive but when it is raining during teardown it can be a pain ...
Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #5

I think they are a good idea and have one on my trailer.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #6

If you camp under tree and don't see the pine cone up there and bring your slide in then you might be replacing that gasket before your next trip or you might rip the rubber roof. And every time you get ready to leave you'll need to either sweep it off or get all the water off or both. Oh, you'll need to carry a ladder tall enough so your arms are long enough to clean the entire roof.
Get the topper and you got nothing to do!
Just sayin"
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:12 PM   #7

Slide Topper

Seems like the higher end coaches have them. I'd want them if/when I have a slide. Seems only downside is cost and that's a cost I'd pay...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #8

I'm thinking about them. It just occurred to me the other day when I was waxing the unit that one slide has a skylight in the top of it. putting an awning over it would pretty much eliminate any light coming through that. On the other hand, it could prolong the life of it. Did notice that the tops of the slides have the same material on them the roof has. Our previous unit had a small slide and only came out about a foot. Now we have three, two of which come out about 2 1/2-3ft, it may be worth looking into. Good thread.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommieMara View Post
I got my dealer to throw in a topper free as part of the negotiation for the sale.
Same here.

And as Tunce noted, if not removed pine cones are especially rough on the slide gasket --- and we have many pine trees in the South.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #10

Guess until I get them, I better make sure the tops are clean before bringing them in.
Loris, South Carolina.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #11

yeah I go on the roof and wipe mine with a towel before closing the slides ... just a real pain when it is raining...
Old 02-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #12

This question has been debated as long as there have been slides and awnings. And it's almost as divisive as the motor-coach, 5-er, TT debate; or the Ford, GM, Ram truck debate; or the wood, charcoal, propane grill debate. Some say they keep slide cooler, protect the slider roof membrane, and keep leaves, pine cones, sticks, acorns, and other debris off your roof. Others say they collect rain water, flap in the wind, need constant adjustment and maintenance . . . and the cost is outrageous!

I've been full-timing for 7 months, now, and have camped in a variety of locations. I prefer camping under trees to keep my trailer cooler; and I just like the ambience of that "camping in the woods" feeling. Yes, I get some junk on the roof, but it really doesn't take long to clean it off. I have a fold-up/telescoping ladder that I haul in the truck bed to use for trailer washing & waxing, window washing, roof maintenance, and the like. I just haul it out, set it up against the slide, and use a broom (or a sponge mop) to sweep it off. Only takes 10 minutes (max) from start to finish - as part of my normal tear-down procedure. I've toyed with the idea of a topper for my slide (which is about 18' long), but can't justify the price.

The couple camping next to me (at my winter home in Texas) have awnings on each of their 4 slides. They have to get their ladder & broom out once a month to sweep birds' nests from under their awnings. Then they have to get out the bucket & sponge to clean the bird poop off the sides of their trailer. Seems to me they have more maintenance to do with the awnings than I do without! That's just the way I see it.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #13

Just took the dog out for a potty, and noticed the birds are "rebuilding" their nests already. Neighbor just cleaned under their awnings yesterday! BTW, their 5'er is a Pinnacle, and I've already recommended The Forum to them.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Just took the dog out for a potty, and noticed the birds are "rebuilding" their nests already. Neighbor just cleaned under their awnings yesterday! BTW, their 5'er is a Pinnacle, and I've already recommended The Forum to them.
Brownie, sounds like you shoulda got a bird dog! You left yourself wide open for that one.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #15

I carry a small leaf blower with me, If there is stuff on top of the slide I blow it off before I bring the slide in.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #16

I wonder how solid the area is where you have to bolt the piece to the side of the unit over the slide out, or if Jayco puts additional support in there??
When we got our latest unit, the one thing it didn't have was the rear ladder. I emailed Jayco about whether or not they put in ladder supports on all units. They checked the VIN on ours and said that it was not prepped for the rear ladder. Later I found the build sheet in the unit and it had on it, "delete rear ladder". Think I'll be getting one of those telescoping ones. It might also come in handy around the house.
Loris, South Carolina.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #17

My previous 2 TT's had side toppers but they both only had one small side out. With 3 side outs and 2 of them being pretty large the cost seemed to high to me. Went all last year without the toppers and stayed in wooded sites and all went well.
But OMG I hadn't thought of that, what a great idea a small inexpensive leaf blower would definitely be better than standing at the roofs edge and sweeping. And a much cheaper solution than the cost of side toppers.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #18

When DW and I purchased our Pinnacle it didn't come with slide covers . The dealer wanted more than I was willing to pay . We ended up picking them up at camping world they were running a sale on them . The wife and I installed them in a couple days. I put the brackets on in one day. And the wife and i installed them the next day. It was really easy but you do need to borrow or rent some scaffolding .we have four slides and one was pretty big .
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thodgson View Post
But OMG I hadn't thought of that, what a great idea a small inexpensive leaf blower would definitely be better than standing at the roofs edge and sweeping. And a much cheaper solution than the cost of side toppers.
Except when it's raining.[emoji35]
Old 02-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #20

Well yea, then I can ask the wife to do it. :0

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote