Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2020, 09:57 AM   #1

Slideout awnings driving me crazy!!

Hi, I have a 2017 Jayco Pinnacle 5th wheel and we recently had the awnings put on the slides to keep the weather off. Didn't notice anything first night but the second night the wind picked up a little and the noise of the awning flapping was incredibly loud!! It almost sounded like someone was walking on the roof of camper. We recently sold our house and living in the camper considering living full time in the camper.
We had them installed by our dealer and have taken back once thinking they where loose but they said they tightened all they could and still loud. So being a newbie at this thinking maybe someone can give me advise on how help fix my noise problem.
Thanks in Advance
Bikerdeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #2

Toppers flapping and making noise in the wind is a fact of life. Some might suggest that you weight them down but when you do that you take the chance of them ripping off the sidewall in a high wind. You can either live with it, bring the slides in during high winds or have the dealer remove the toppers.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #3

I've read about owners stuffing something between the slide roof and the topper.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdeanna View Post
Hi, I have a 2017 Jayco Pinnacle 5th wheel and we recently had the awnings put on the slides to keep the weather off. Didn't notice anything first night but the second night the wind picked up a little and the noise of the awning flapping was incredibly loud!! It almost sounded like someone was walking on the roof of camper. We recently sold our house and living in the camper considering living full time in the camper.
We had them installed by our dealer and have taken back once thinking they where loose but they said they tightened all they could and still loud. So being a newbie at this thinking maybe someone can give me advise on how help fix my noise problem.
Thanks in Advance
We have a Pinnacle too with six slide toppers and have had some pretty good winds and never a peep out of them? I guess we are fortunate. Ours were installed by the dealer also. What brand did you get?

Quote: Ever notice how "What the Hell" is always the right answer?
maejoicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #5

Do a search on Amazon for "Inflatable Pool Noodle" and there are all shapes and sizes. While I have never used them, my brother does and says they work great and easy to store. Heck you can even have one that looks like a giant Tootsie Roll if you want
Attached Thumbnails
818qmMnt1HL._SL1500_.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maejoicer View Post
We have a Pinnacle too with six slide toppers and have had some pretty good winds and never a peep out of them? I guess we are fortunate. Ours were installed by the dealer also. What brand did you get?
I've never had wind issues either SENECA and PINNACLE were factory and several others I installed my self.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #7

There you go, now is your chance to design a bracket where you could detach the slide out awnings during High winds.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #8

Put a beach ball under the topper. Use a broom handle to push it under and to push it out....
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Put a beach ball under the topper. Use a broom handle to push it under and to push it out....
Just don't forget about the beach ball before you bring in the slides.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #10

3 campers all with slide toppers in the last 15 years, camping in all conditions and have never heard this flapping noise some describe. I realize that a thin piece of fabric installed 4-6'' over a roof could flap under the right conditions but I've never heard it from mine. Sounds like an installation issue to me. Do a visual check with slides extended and make sure both ends are tight.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:28 PM   #11

Interesting problem. We are just about to get our repair shop to install a rear slide awning on our Greyhawk. We've had two separate incidents of leaking around the top of the rear slide in the past year, of course, directly over *my* side of the bed during rain storms.

Jayco advises this is not a warranty fix but wear and tear. Uh huh. Oh well, since there doesn't seem to be anyway to stop it, we decided to spring for the read slide cover. Had quotes ranging from $649 or so up to almost $800 depending on material and whether or not it had a vinyl or metal cover.

We shall see...
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #12

Just something to check, possibly the topper isn't square with the side of the trailer leaving one edge tight and one slightly loose. This might cause the flapping noise you hear. If they all do it, then this probably wouldn't be the problem.
Rusty Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #13

Have you looked at the slideout cover installation manual available from www.carefreeofcolorado.com ? I downloaded a copy when I was having trouble with birds nesting under the cover. I just looked and it mentions "Setting up the Anti-Billow Lock" which kind of sounds like your problem. If I can figure out how to email you a PDF, I can send it to you, otherwise you will have to search for it.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:13 PM   #14

Here is one link: https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...all-Manual.pdf

Here is another: https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...stallation.pdf
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #15

Slide toppers

When I purchased my 2018 eagle 5th wheel I had the factory put on the slider toppers. No issues
nynethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:15 PM   #16

We have a 2019 Northpoint 377RLBH with 4 slides and have been in some nasty winds last summer. I’ve never heard any sound at all from the slide awnings and they’re not really tight either, I get pools of water on top after it rains.
K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:29 PM   #17

YOu can adjust the tension of them by removing the awning and putting an extra turn or 2 into the tube.