Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #1

Slideout not extending

Hi all

We have a 24FBS and today I tried extending the slideout. It didn't extend and I heard a "clicking" noise coming from underneath the trailer.

I tried this both with the trailer plugged into the house and using the battery on the trailer. Same thing. I retracted the slideout last week and there was no problem.

The slideout retracted okay, it looks straight and not like it is off center or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Don
CaptCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Look at the slide motor and see what is happening. If you don't see anything binding, try having someone hold the out switch and give it a little help getting started to see if it is in to far. Is it in warranty?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #3

no, I don't believe it is under warranty. I had a crack in my flooring from last winter and my dealer said it wasn't covered under warranty, so I doubt this would be covered.

I will try your suggestion.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #4

It might be that the brake has come loose so that the motor is not engaging. This is the brake that you release when you need to manually crank the slide in or out. Reference the operators manual for your unit that describes emergency procedure for cranking the slide manually.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #5

Sorry if this is dumb, but I am not sure where the brake is. The motor is under the trailer nearer to the right side wheels. It has a small square hole on it which I assume is for cracking it out or in.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Site Team

On my rig the slide brake is mounted on the rear of the slide motor. It has a second set of wires pigtailed off the drive motor that go in the back where the brake is located. When you push the button to open or close the slide, 12vdc is also applied to the brake to disable it.

That is how mine works and yours may not be the same. Some internet research may be needed to verify they work the same.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #7

Angry Stuck slideout

You did not state the year of your Jayco,but Jayco has an issue with slideout motors. If the dealer won't help contact Jayco Direct. I have a 2010 Eagle 322FKS and both of my slide motors had to be replaced. My unit was under warranty. There have been alot of posting on this site about slideout issues.
I hope Jayco would out a solution with you if the dealer won't? Did you buy it new?
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #8

I've got an 08 322FKS that has the same problems. Jayco did not do anything and also the dealer did not help. The problem did not happen every time and they claimed they could not repeat it.

I now know to jog the slide in, even tho it is already all the way in, then try to go out and it has always worked. I only find it has a problem about once every dozen times and it is corrected quite quickly.

My dealer failed to pursue it and I also was too easily pleased. After 4 years i've learned to live with it.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
Site Team

One of my slide motors was acting the same way. I had to help it get in and out. Dealer could not duplicate problem. In about a month of use, it finally quit. Jayco and my dealer replaced the motor/gearbox and all is well.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #10

Don - first off, there are no dumb questions - we all have to learn at some point, so ask away.

Now, as to the slideout brake - as Norty1 previously mentioned, the brake release lever is mounted on the back of the slideout motor. If you have an underbelly, you will have to find the appropriate panel to remove, probably with a ScruLox (square head) screwdriver, to gain access to the motor. Then rotate the release lever about 1/8 turn counter clockwise. This will allow the entire slideout to be free to move. You can then use a 3/4" socket and ratchet to turn the drive shaft and move the slideout in the desired direction. According to my manual, you can turn the driveshaft from either end, and there is a possibility that another underbelly panel will have to be removed to expose one end of the driveshaft, depending on how long it is. This length varies with the size of the slideout.

In your case, I was thinking that perhaps this brake release lever has broken or come loose, and the clicking sound you hear might be related.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #11

Jayco has currently ordered a new motor for my slide out to replace under warranty. I have a 2010 model 31RKS. It is only an intermitent problem and cannot be duplicated. They are definitely having problems with some of the older model slide outs and some have even been recalled I do believe. I would call Jayco direct and explain the problem to see what they say.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Site Team

I have found that it is possible to run it so far in that the slide motor/gearbox will not open. We have overcome this by stopping as soon as we hear the motor slowing down and the slide is retracted. Our instructions say it will shut off on its own but the way we do it works and is fine with me.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #13

I had the same problem 3 times on a 2010 31rks. First time hauled it to the dealer. They had to drop a panel from the bottom to get to the motor. they hit it with a hammer a couple times and it started working. Could not get it to do it again. I have had it happen two more times, once on the road and the last time at home. I took it back to the dealer and they could not duplicate the problem. I finally called Jayco direct and told them I was getting tired of crawling under the unit and dropping a floor panel to gain access to the motor to get it to work. After you turned it manually a crank or two it would work fine. Jayco said no problem and they are sending me a new motor and actuator for the dealer to replace under warranty. I understand there may have even been a recall on some of these motors.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #14

Slide won't extend

I've got the same problem. I've got an '09 Recon. Did any of the suggestions help you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCanada View Post
Hi all

We have a 24FBS and today I tried extending the slideout. It didn't extend and I heard a "clicking" noise coming from underneath the trailer.

I tried this both with the trailer plugged into the house and using the battery on the trailer. Same thing. I retracted the slideout last week and there was no problem.

The slideout retracted okay, it looks straight and not like it is off center or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Don
Starbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #15

2004 Greyhawk bedroom slide out won't retract. Dealer found a cracked bearing. Jayco doesn't stock replacement bearings, dealer can't find one either. Anyone else had this problem?
jdhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #16

Had same problem with 2010 32Bhds. Rear slide would not extend and I heard the same clicking the OP described.

Took three men shaking and rocking the slide from the inside to reengage the slide on the track.

My presumption was when the slide was retracted it came in too far and jumped off the track.
turkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #17

I dont know if I have the same problem or not. First when I tried to extend the slide at the lake I pushed the button and nothing. I shook the slide and all of a sudden it went out. Retracted ok then extended ok. Then tried to retract it on battery and nothing. Plugged it in and it retracted. Tried to extend it again and nothing. Kind of sounds like a poor connection. Is there a relay on these things. There is no sound at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Parkland is offline   Reply With Quote