Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #1

SLX 195RB front window leaking AGAIN!!!

When I got home from the dealer I found water on the bed. I purchased a tube of Quad Seal and ran a bead all around it, and went inside where I could actually see a hole to the outside, caulked that.

A year later, leak is back, same spot. Caulked some more around the window. Did some along the rubber edge where it meets the glass. Also, did around the plates that hold the window closed.

The leak came back. Now I have rechecked all edge caulk, caulked all the way around the window rubber seal. Double checked everything!!, Triple checked it.

Where else can I find the leak? Water is coming out about 6 inches from the corner and gets inside via a seam about 4 inches below the window.

I can post a picture if that would help. Need to stop this before winter storage and wood rot sets in.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #2

Is it leaking while parked or when you are towing in bad weather? I've dealt with leaks on the front of our 195RB under both conditions. It sounds like you are seeing the water seep in about the same place mine did - right along that trim strip that covers the seam between two pieces of siding under the window. Ours was just to the left of the window when looking at it from inside and would get the head of the bed damp as well as leave a little puddle on the edge of the bed-side table. I believe I ended up finding 3 different ways the water was coming in:

1. Around main window frame - used Dicor no-sag and caulked gap between the window mounting ring and the siding all the way around the window, replaced the "D" seal material on the edge of the rock guard and replaced the seal between the mounting ring and the glass itself

2. Gap in putty used to seal the driver's side joint where the front and side come together. In this case when the trailer was not quite level but leaning towards the drivers side the water would stick to the bottom of the siding and run to the edge and into the hole which I could stick a toothpick about 3/4 of the way in. Used Dicor no-sag to caulk the entire front edge seam, top to bottom and both sides.

3. Gap in the overlap between two pieces of siding. This would only leak when towing in rain. Used Dicor no-sag to fill the gap where the siding overlapped for all seams top to bottom on the front.

In addition to the above items which I did as a direct result of seeing some water seep in under that trim strip I also use Dicor no-sag all the way around the running lights on the front as a preventive measure. I don't think they were leaking, I was on a roll and just did them as a precaution. I've since done the same to all the remaining running lights.

This season we towed a couple of times in some very heavy rain and had no leaks or moisture seeping out of the trim strip up front so it looks like with all of the above done it stopped my issue.

Good luck - I hope you are able to get it under control. I know I was somewhat frustrated after fixing what I thought was the issue only to have it appear again another time or two. The DW can attest to a few choice words being used in regards to this issue... Also, I've got some pictures of the various steps I did above if you want to see any of them for reference.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:21 AM   #3

Are you still under warranty?
I repaired mine so far so good. It is now at the dealer for punch list and I have them noting the leak.
It sounds like they need to pull that window. Replace the assembly and reset it.
Make sure its documented.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #4

I may have found the problem. Not 100% as water travels but right under the lock plate was where the water was coming out of the paneling.

I put two layers of Quad Seal and also went over the whole window and touched up everything, rubber seal to glass, rubber to frame and outside of frame.

Below is a pic to the lock plate which was a tiny bit loose.

When it gets warmer next week out comes the hose and lots of water sprayed with vigor onto the whole area.

Will also check the two front marker lights. Tried to take one off, very stuck on! Any suggestions on how to get them off without breaking them??

And of course my warranty ran out in August!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3499.jpg  

Old 10-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Call Jayco, talk to them about it, they can help, and i'm betting, they will ..... water n Rv's are like oil n water! Get it done right
Old 10-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

Talked at length with my dealer service dept.. They cannot get me in until after we leave for the winter.

His suggestion was to cover everything with a second coat of Quad seal and retest. If still leaking than cover the whole window with heavy plastic held on with outdoor tape and bring it in to have the window pulled and reset.

I looked at taking out the window and not sure I can do it by myself. Watched some youtubes. One problem is getting the drapes off. Could not figure out how to do that. The rest looks like cleaning surfaces, installation of a new seal and recaulking. To bad Jayco did not do it right the first time!