Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #1

Small black water tank

My new Eagle TT has 32 gal blk wtr tank and that won’t do when dry camping. Can I add an aux tank somehow? Or can I link the washer/dryer tank to be used as an overflow for black water when needed?
Grandpawlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpawlee View Post
My new Eagle TT has 32 gal blk wtr tank and that won’t do when dry camping. Can I add an aux tank somehow? Or can I link the washer/dryer tank to be used as an overflow for black water when needed?
How about this for a solution to your tanks? I wouldn't want to equalize or flow black water into a gray water tank. I'm not sure there is a way to flush the solids out of the gray water tank if you combined them. I would personally have an external tank that you could take and dump.
Attached Images

Mont Belvieu, TX
T&M_Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:03 AM   #3

I wouldn’t recommend allowing your black tank to be connected to your grey water tank either.

Question for you, GrandP: Do you have much experience in boondocking? No insult intended, my friend, just wondering. With us it takes a long time to fill the black tank, as opposed to the gray tank which can fill pretty fast.

I’m sure somebody on this forum can tell you about how to add another black tank, or use a tote system like T&M recommended.

All best, and good luck.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
with two people it takes 11 to 14 days to fill a 22 US-gallon black tank. But then again with the human body; what goes in has to come out. But a tote is always handy, saves moving the RV.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #5

We have 50g black & 85g gray but we usually don't get past 1/2 on the gray. The black limits the two of us to just over 2 weeks boondocking. I looked at using the front gray tank as a black/gray but as mentioned you'd need a way to flush it. I suppose one could install a macerator to pump from black to gray as then there should be no chunks
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #6

Thnx for your suggestion. I have a blueboy just like the one pictured and i take it to Quartzsite with us to boon in the desert. My motorhome had a 55 gal blk tank so i consider the blue boy a backup. We have learned how to ration the gray water but... maybe we should drink less.
Maybe I’m gettin to old and decrepit. I am hoping to extend the time between blk tank flushes here in the park too.
Thnx again. I wonder if we could get used to “Depends”!! ����
Old 06-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
We have 50g black & 85g gray but we usually don't get past 1/2 on the gray. The black limits the two of us to just over 2 weeks boondocking. I looked at using the front gray tank as a black/gray but as mentioned you'd need a way to flush it. I suppose one could install a macerator to pump from black to gray as then there should be no chunks
Tnx players. I am not alone in the black tank blues world. Sooo the wshr hookups in front have hose connections and a drain to the tank. What about flushing it that way when i get to a dump?
Old 06-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #8

We're old and not very regular but it would take my wife and I a long time (two weeks based on past experience) to fill a 39 gallon black water tank and we're not stingy on the water when we flush.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #9

Man you guys have it lucky. My black tank is itty bitty. 9 gallons black, 15 gallons grey.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Man you guys have it lucky. My black tank is itty bitty. 9 gallons black, 15 gallons grey.
LOL!!! With 3 girls + 2 of their friends + 1 DW the tanks don't last very long in our rig no matter how large the tanks are.
Mont Belvieu, TX
T&M_Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
with two people it takes 11 to 14 days to fill a 22 US-gallon black tank. But then again with the human body; what goes in has to come out. But a tote is always handy, saves moving the RV.
Really? My main dislike about our rig, and lots of other Jayco models, is the size of the black and gray tanks. Ours are both 32 gals. If we camp at a state park, which has no sewer hookups, we can fill the gray in about 3 days (and we are conservative with water), and the black in five days at the most (and that's livin' on the edge!), w/ me using the campground facilities quite a bit.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
Really? My main dislike about our rig, and lots of other Jayco models, is the size of the black and gray tanks. Ours are both 32 gals. If we camp at a state park, which has no sewer hookups, we can fill the gray in about 3 days (and we are conservative with water), and the black in five days at the most (and that's livin' on the edge!), w/ me using the campground facilities quite a bit.
+1!

We usually can get 4-5 days out of our black tank if we're moderately careful. We could get more, but then I'm afraid there wouldn't be enough liquid in there to get a good flush when it comes time to dump. If we went more than a week ... well, let's just say I'm afraid it would be a difficult situation indeed.

Perhaps I'm underestimating us, and overestimating the amount of water it takes to get a decent flush...

When we moved up to our current MH from our trailer, we gained a bit of gray tank capacity, and I could tell it was there last weekend.

Anyway, to the OP's point, I would get one of the portable tanks and use a good amount of water. That assumes you have relatively easy access to facilities to empty the portable tank. I've thought about getting one for us, but we would rarely use it, especially for black water.

I found a container that had washed up on the beach that will hold about 15 gallons (it was remarkably well intact for a "beach find"; it was a blue container that someone had used to transport diesel ). I bring that with us if I know we're camping without hookups so I can properly dispose of gray water if I need to. So far I haven't ever used it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black water tank, small black water tank