Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #1

Small Side mount AC on 15 Amp service??

So as I gather on these forums, you cant run much 120 volt stuff in the TT while plugged into only a 15 amp service. Nobody says why not. In my experience, if too much is running, the 15 amp breaker for the plugin your using will just kick. I have a new small jayco camper with a side mount AC that is rated at 560 some watts. It works fine on a 15 amp service along with the fridege and converter. Whats the danger of wrecking something?? Normally, the circuit breaker is the saftey. My buddy even has a roof mount AC in his 5er running on a 15 amp breaker. My point is, if the AC or hair dryer or microwave is under 1600 watts or so and will run on a household standard circuit, why wont it run in the TT if its plugged into a 15 amp service?? (providing the cord isnt the limiting factor (too thin)
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #2

Either the breaker trips or the cord melts or something in your converter gets too hot or a wire melts in the camper. You can do it if you want but I won't.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #3

Look at it this way. If you went out and bought a 5,000 btu window air conditioner for your bedroom at home, you coud run it off a 15 amp circuit indefinitely. My daddy did this all while I was growing up and my mom runs the A/C in the same house to this day. When they buillt the house in 1953, 15 amp circuits were the standard of the industry.

You answered your own question. If the appliance runs on a 15 amp circuit in your house, it will run on a 15 amp circuit in your camper. The only way to settle this is to make up a short "extension" cord of separate conductors then put a clamp on amp meter on the hot leg while running the A/C on a 15 amp circuit. Take a picture of the amp meter display and post it.