Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #1

Small truck towing

Hello all I'm currently looking at a jayco 174bh and they list the max vehicle weigh at 3500 pounds. My current truck a 2002 ford sport trac 4x4 is rated at 5000 pound max tow weight. And max payload of 9600 pounds I am going to get a wd hitch and brake controller. I am wondering if this is a good fit?
Keimarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keimarquis View Post
Hello all I'm currently looking at a jayco 174bh and they list the max vehicle weigh at 3500 pounds. My current truck a 2002 ford sport trac 4x4 is rated at 5000 pound max tow weight. And max payload of 9600 pounds I am going to get a wd hitch and brake controller. I am wondering if this is a good fit?
Keimarquis - Sounds like you're off to a good start by checking some numbers. Based on what you've provided here...
* 2018 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 174BH gross vehicle weight is 3,750. So that's the MAX this travel trailer will weigh when loaded.
* Generally speaking, 10% of the TT tongue weight will sit on your hitch. In this case, it could be upwards of 375 LBS. This much weight will require a 2" Class III hitch to tow it. You'll absolutely need an electric brake controller as well.
* You've suggested your max payload is 9,600#. I'm not sure how you got that number but it seems a bit HIGH for that type vehicle. My 2015 Ford F150 3.5 twin turbo (365HP/410Torque) 4x4 with Max Tow could TOW 12K# but only had a 7K# payload. I'll say check your vehicle stickers in the driver side door jam (or owners manual). Take max payload and subtract the vehicle weight to get available payload. Remember- aftermarket products do NOT increase vehicle payload.
*Misc considerations - Vehicle age/mileage, cost of equipment (hitch/trailer/accessories), how often you'll use your travel trailer and where you're taking it.
** Lastly - Salesmen will tell you anything to sell you a camper and camper manufacturers will do their best to suggest anyone can tow anything they make. Do yourself a favor and crunch the numbers before buying anything.

Good Luck!
Old 09-27-2017, 02:37 AM   #3

Great start and you will get a lot of helpful suggestions. You might want to also run your own numbers on the "Changing Gears site"http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml ; this site gives you the option of entering in all of your numbers and calculates it for you. It then provides you with an explanation of the numbers.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:35 AM   #4

My apologies the 9600 is the combined. The Gvwr is 5840 from inside my door. My truck weisghs in at 4275. So from my understanding and reading I should have 1465 left over for people and cargo and tongue weight?

It is equipped with the tow package and I do have class 3 hitch on it currently. I'm hoping to get out to Oregon sometime next fall with a couple day stay at Yellowstone.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:15 AM   #5
Site Team

You are wise to do what you are doing. Many people buy a rig and then find out that their tv is not up to the challenge.

Another thing to be aware of is just because a tow vehicle can tow something
to big does not mean it can stop it safely.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
You are wise to do what you are doing. Many people buy a rig and then find out that their tv is not up to the challenge.

Another thing to be aware of is just because a tow vehicle can tow something
to big does not mean it can stop it safely.
^Excellent advice! We did Oregon to Colorado earlier this year with our then 10 year old TV, as long as you're not in a hurry, you should be fine. There's a bit of climbing and descending on the 84 that worked our truck.

Best of Luck with your decision.

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #7

We have a similar rig to yours, a 184BH with a 2001 Explorer 2WD XLT. We probably have the same 4.0L SOHC V6, and the same 3.73 LS Axle. The motor delivers good torque and pulls the TT pretty well.
Definitely consider a WDH, it helps balance things out. While the 4 wheel disc brakes on the truck are good, the brake controller makes me feel more comfortable.
Overall, the rig drives well. I just turn the OD off, set the cruise at 65. The motor turns about 2800 RPM which is right in the middle of the torque curve and we go up and down hills easily.
Don't be in a hurry and you should be fine.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #8

Towing a Jay Feather 7 18RBM with a V6 Tacoma trailer is rated 3975 lb. I just returned from a vacation in the Sierras with some decent grades and some gusty winds. On the grades I had to drop into 3rd gear and maintained a speed of 55 MPH, the truck had more to give, but why push.

Coming home we came over Pacheco Pass from I-5 to Gilroy. Gusty wind sign was light, had no tail wagging or the like. Again, 3rd gear at about 55 MPH.

I have the Anderson WDH and am super happy with the way it performed especially in the gusty winds.

You might also consider a transmission cooler if you have an automatic trans?

Best,
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #9

Thank you for the info I do have a tranny cooler. Do you think the factory one is good or should I see if they make a larger cooler?
Old 09-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keimarquis View Post
Thank you for the info I do have a tranny cooler. Do you think the factory one is good or should I see if they make a larger cooler?
My Tacoma had a factory one and I read the "Tacoma Towing Bible" and they recommended a larger one which I installed. Later I talked to a mechanic I trust, he laughed, said the new synthetic trans fluid can take a lot more heat than the old dino fluids which start degrading around 200F. I also installed a Scanguage which lets me monitor transmission temperature and water temp. as well as other things.

https://www.scangauge.com/

Also the Towing Bible recommended to not tow in overdrive, your mileage may vary. Might find a "Towing Bible" on a forum for your vehicle?
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:26 AM   #11

I have a Jayco 174BH and I pull it with a 2000 Ford F150 with the 4.6L engine. I do not have a WD hitch, only a sway control bar and brake control. The only upgrade to the truck was adding Monroe shocks that have the springs on them to the rear end to stiffen it up. I have only been on a few trips, but the truck tows the TT with no issues. TT weighs in at about 3,300lbs right now.
DCFirstTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:30 AM   #12

New question

One more question. Right now I have a four prong flat towing connection most TT have a seven blade connection how would I change that to fit?
Old 09-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #13
Site Team

If your new rig has brakes and it should, I would go to a local hitch shop, every town has one, and get them to wire in a seven pin connector on your truck.

Easy peasy. Around here they charge about $100. bucks and it will save you a half day of time doing it yourself.

Suggestion: Tell them to install a good 7 pin connector. There are many that are junk. A few bucks more for a good one will pay off in the long run.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:43 PM   #14

Hmmm....
If you have a brake control you should have a 7 way connection or else what's the point? You are talking about an electronic brake controller in the TV, right?
Am I missing something?
Old 09-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #15

Yes I am going to get one for the TT just didn't know how that would work with my current set up