Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #21

The rotten egg smell is hydrogen sulfide caused by anaerobic bacteria. It's bad for you. So first dump the water heater, by pass it and sanitize the rest of the system over night with unsented bleach- 1/4 cup per 15 gallons. Bleach in the water heater is not a good thing. So next morning run the bleach from the FW tank out and replace with fresh water. Drain the water heater and refill with fresh water. Drain it again. Now you should be good. Leave the water heater empty between trips to avoid this.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #22

Ok I have to ask. Why are sanitizing the entire system when the problem is in the hot water tank? Here’s the page in the owners manual for the heater. I don’t know why the photo is blurry. Click on it and it is better. Here’s the link I took the picture from.

https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/medi...lon-Manual.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
E2922574-E61D-48BA-9EEB-0E2D1FF8C6B2.jpg  
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
Ok I have to ask. Why are sanitizing the entire system when the problem is in the hot water tank?
Actually, I wondered that too? Plus the water heater is part of the water system, and should be sanitized the same way. These diluted chlorine solutions shouldn't hurt the water heater.

1. Add bleach mixture to the water tank - Never pour straight bleach into the RV fresh water tank!
  2. If you have a bypass for your hot water tank, make sure that is set for normal use so that the bleached mixture will be pumped through the hot water tank.
  3. Top up the fresh water tank with water.
https://www.sanidumps.com/sanitizerv...atersystem.php
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #24

You might also have been at a camp ground that has well water with methane. Have tankless hot water heater in our Jayco and in Wyoming on well water, we get the odor in both hot and cold but if we run the water for a bit, the smell goes away. Have not lit a match yet to see how much methane but may have noticed it but no one injured from it.
beaglepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #25

I haven’t purchased this cleaning wand,

Camco Water Heater Tank Rinser-Cleanses and Removes Sediment that Collects at the... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XL2IBS..._kifvDbMM7T3MW

But it looks like a good thing to have and do every cleaning.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #26

A little something for the masses. While Anode selection is only an option at home this might help some out there. https://www.plumbingsupply.com/under...node-rods.html
PipeFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #27

Swimming pool shock is exactly the same chemical as regular household bleach. It's just a slightly higher concentration.

When you add water to your freshwater tank, add 1 ounce of bleach to every 10 gallons of water. You won't even be able to detect its in there.

If you didn't do that and have a smell, sanitize the system like you would do in Spring anyway, and then dump the system and proceed with the 1 oz procedure.

Had the same problem 32 years ago, switched to what the experts said (prior to internet) and haven't had a problem since.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
A concern of mine was water sitting in the water heater between trips, "fermenting" and growing who knows what. So I always planned on draning the tank when it's sitting idle, put it was a pain to try and remove the plug each time.

So, I took the plug out and I installed a short piece of braided hose and a valve, which makes draining the tank a snap. Then, just before going out I fill my water tank and flush out the water heater again.

So far, so good.
What a great tip. Thanks - Happy Camping.
First Time Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #29

My RV doesn’t usually sit more than 5-6 weeks without use, except when wee travel up north, it sits about 8-9 weeks. This is when I do a full tank sanitation with water heater drained.

What amount of time sitting does anyone consider to long? And it would be favorable to empty the tank? I live in HOT south florida.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #30
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
What amount of time sitting does anyone consider to long? And it would be favorable to empty the tank? I live in HOT south florida.
I think that answer can vary, depending on the quality of the water coming in. If the water sitting in the HW tank came from my tap, which I know is OK, I might let it sit. If it came from a well in a campground, even with the external filter, maybe not.

For me, I'm draining it all down if it's going to be more than a day or two. In my opinion, water sitting in all the lines and tank in warm weather can possibly breed who knows what.

I'd rather be safe, spend a few minutes, and a few gallons of water, to flush everything out and refill the next trip. Even when I'm refilling my water tank for the next trip, I open up all faucets, shower and low point drain, and let the water run a bit on city water, to flush out anything sitting in the lines since the last trip.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Exactly.

Double male NYLON 1/2" nipple (same as the plug material, to eliminate dissimilar metals), then regular braided supply hose (12" I think) and straight stop.

Bummer that my HD does no carry the nylon nipple. Has anyone found this at there HD? Maybe have a SKU?. Could not find one on HD web site.
Thanks!
unzinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #32

Try Lowes, Menards or Ace, it is generic stuff. Take in your old plug to get a good fit.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #33
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by unzinators View Post
Bummer that my HD does no carry the nylon nipple. Has anyone found this at there HD? Maybe have a SKU?. Could not find one on HD web site.
Thanks!
Mine didn't carry it either.

Had to order it from Amazon.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:15 AM   #34

Quote:
A concern of mine was water sitting in the water heater between trips, "fermenting" and growing who knows what. So I always planned on draning the tank when it's sitting idle, put it was a pain to try and remove the plug each time.

So, I took the plug out and I installed a short piece of braided hose and a valve, which makes draining the tank a snap. Then, just before going out I fill my water tank and flush out the water heater again.

So far, so good.
RetiredOne,
Did you drill a hole in the nylon plug that came with the water heater then thread in the brass connector?
I would like to make one of these.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:49 AM   #35

I'd be careful modifying that plug. If it were to fail, aside from the burn hazard, your water tank will burn up the electric heater if it's on and present a fire hazard when the propane system kicks on.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #36

I have yet to notice the water smell when I am home. I am always at the campground when it happens!

I will drain the hot water heater, remove the water supply hose from the Trailer, pour some bleach down the water hose and re-connect. Open a sink faucet, turn the water back on. Everything will get enough bleach to kill the Egg smell. You might get a slight smell of bleach in the eater but it wont last long.

I learned this method from my father who has been doing it this way for over 45 years! It works!

Happy camping & save travels!
mnaquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnaquaman View Post
I have yet to notice the water smell when I am home. I am always at the campground when it happens!
...snip

You said "... the campground ...". Does it happen at the SAME campground or ANY campground? I've noticed foul smelling water at some campgrounds and avoid using it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
You said "... the campground ...". Does it happen at the SAME campground or ANY campground? I've noticed foul smelling water at some campgrounds and avoid using it.
I have had it happen maybe three times and always in different locations.
It is usually my own fault for not draining the water heater!!
mnaquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #39
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
RetiredOne,
Did you drill a hole in the nylon plug that came with the water heater then thread in the brass connector?
I would like to make one of these.
Like I mentioned above, I ordered the 1/2" nylon nipple from amazon and got the rest of the parts at Home Depot. I didn't want to do anything to the original plug, in case I wanted to put it back in.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #40
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Me too, probably from some of the campgrounds being on well water, where at home, I'm on chlorinated water from the town.