Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2020, 01:05 PM   #1

Smoked the converter today, 2020 Jayflight 265 RLS

Hey guys, I’ve read a few horror stories on the WFCO converters, but mine has worked fine..... until last night. TT is only 6 months old (2020 JayFlight 265RLS) We picked up my Camper from storage last night, plugged in my surge protector to 30amp service, verified all green on the SP. turned breaker off, plugged in the RV shore power, flipped the breaker on....... and POOF! Wife starts screaming TURN IT OFF, TURN IF OFF! The converter had smoke POURING out of it and filled the trailer. We gave it a bit to air out before I noticed a bit of small oil coming out of the front cover of the Converter. Looks like it’s toast, and of course, no power to anything.

This is a WFCO WF-8735P

It was late, We scrambled for contacting Jayco or Camping world service, of course all closed.

This morning, I took the rig into CW service.

So my questions are. What is covered under Jayco Warranty? Does this fall under the WFCO warranty? My Progressive Industry Surge also guarantees protection, has anyone had to use that?

Should I look at replacing this converter with a higher quality unit? And can anyone recommend a direct fit replacement?

Lots of questions, but our baby is in the shop, and we are “camper” depressed at the moment.

Thanks all
Ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccarter View Post
So my questions are. What is covered under Jayco Warranty? Does this fall under the WFCO warranty? My Progressive Industry Surge also guarantees protection, has anyone had to use that?
All those answers will depend on what caused the problem. If the converter was faulty then JAYCO/WFCO will cover it. If an over voltage issue then Progressive.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #3

Dont know for sure but look at all the paper work you got when you bought.

Some of the warranties for the equipment had to be sent to mfg,'s directly not to jayco.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #4

Not sure on that one either, when we purchased ours the dealer was very specific in mentioning that everything was covered by Jayco used and example of refrigerator and other appliances, saying for the first 2 years covered by Jayco. Then proceeded to say the structural warranty was for 3 years. Can't tell you anything about the Progressive part.

We have a 2020 Jay Feather and it came with a Progressive Dynamics so can't help with the WFCO issue.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #5

Do yourself a favour and use this opportunity to upgrade your converter to a Progressive Dynamics unit. They make direct replacements that are easy to install and it will take much better care of your battery/batteries.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:12 PM   #6

Ouch.
We were told by our folks at CW that Jayco warrants the chassis and everything else is direct. I am having conversations with Lippert about a broken tri lfold sofa leg. Bottom line I think is expect CW folks to operate like Used Car Salesmen.
Hear a lot.
Don't expect much.
ComputerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerBob View Post
Ouch.
We were told by our folks at CW that Jayco warrants the chassis and everything else is direct. I am having conversations with Lippert about a broken tri lfold sofa leg. Bottom line I think is expect CW folks to operate like Used Car Salesmen.
Hear a lot.
Don't expect much.
When I traded my Jayco for a Bullet at CW, I was shuttled into a manager's office where he tried to talk me into a "protective coating" and a warranty. I laughed and said "No thanks."
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 05:44 PM   #8

Regarding CW: We 'left it in their hands' to process the claim for the broken sofa leg and weeks later they are still saying that it is 'in process'... in the meantime I went to Lippert directly and they sent me the part two weeks ago...
Something tells me that CW works on a points system and every claim they turn in counts against them... there is absolutely no other reason for ignoring our claim. The Sofa was broken before we took delivery.

By the way, the documentation provided by Jayco spells out that they authorize dealers to make warranty decisions on the spot... so why does the consumer get screwed?
Old 11-12-2022, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerBob View Post
Regarding CW: We 'left it in their hands' to process the claim for the broken sofa leg and weeks later they are still saying that it is 'in process'... in the meantime I went to Lippert directly and they sent me the part two weeks ago...

Same with my unit but different dealer, it's not just CW. I could have directly ordered parts for my slim rack slide and had them in 1 week. Dealer drags feet, files claim with Jayco, Jayco with supplier, who knows how long the paper trail goes until my dealer finally gets parts well over one month later. The warranty claim system is pretty sad.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:55 PM   #10

Someone with deep pockets and ambition needs to start up a nation wide mobile RV repair business that's approved by all the major RV manufacturers. Bet they'd make a killing.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:40 PM   #11

Absolutely.

Tags
converter, wfco