Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
Site Team

That's a good explanation. I can't believe any one would do that with the intent to defraud the customer intentionally. Even though they did get moved. Still a warranty item IMO.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #22

Looking at the pictures, and being in the boat business, they look like impact fractures to me, at least for what I can see. Notice how curved the cracks are and how each one is roughly parallel to each other. If you extended the crack line with a pencil at the same radius you would have a series of circles, the center of the circles would be the center of the impact that caused the cracks. I think that something hit the trailer there. It pushed the fiberglass in causing the cracks. The fiberglass then retuned to its original shape. The gelcoat surface is more brittle than the fiberglass laminate behind it.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
..I can't believe any one would do that with the intent to defraud the customer intentionally...
Oh, I certainly can believe it. I'm not saying that is the case here but I did have a car dealer try to deliberately defraud me. I've had other vendors lie to me more than once. It definitely happens.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Oh, I certainly can believe it. I'm not saying that is the case here but I did have a car dealer try to deliberately defraud me. I've had other vendors lie to me more than once. It definitely happens.
Well he won't be around long if he is that blatant. Word gets around fast.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #25

My husband has a car dealership. It is called "Deals with Integrity Auto Sales" We opened this business because there were people out there who do the same thing with cars that you have just experienced with this trailer. Consumers are tired of it..
I believe that if you are patient and just keep stating what you expect to happen.. Jayco will do the right thing. They value their reputation.
Sorry to hear about this... perhaps a "camp driveway" overnight would keep the kids happy while you wait.. unless of course they are teenagers then they will just roll their eyes! :O

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #26
Site Team

Hey cheetah, have you heard anything yet?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #27

At a quick glance I agree with tslarson, looks like a hit from a truck bumper, maybe a "jacknife" at the lot. I defininetly know one thing I would not let it stop me from camping, hook'er up and head out. Larry
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #28

Sorry so long to get back here, had some extended family circumstances to attend to first. Thanks for all that posted w/advice,opinions,encouragement etc. Well Good News, Good News! Submited my case/photos to Jayco and they responded quickly and favorably. Said "no worries" everything will be covered(acted like it was no big deal to handle). Jayco will replace the front wall of the TT at a time and dealer of my choosing. Jayco said they spoke to the sales dealership about the issue but did not bring up the subject of how it happened or the issue of the sticker coverup saying they did not want to establish blame. Jayco also said it was fine just to seal the cracks with sealant and use TT this season and repair in the fall to eliminate prime season downtime for us. Sales dealership contacted me and discussed the issue and for possible repairs. I tactfully brought up my concerns about the potential coverup(for their sake in the future) and they said they would discuss issue w/sales manager to try to understand situation and their role in it. I told them I would not be needing their services mainly due to the 7+hrs. one way commute for the repairs. I was glad to be getting the warranty work approved so easily so no reasons to point fingers, make accusations, and make a bigger issue. I got what I came for and that's good enough for us. I have some options as to local places that do Jayco warranty work such as Camping World and a smaller chain Colerain RV both around Indy(Jayco/Middlebury is only 3 1/2hrs. away...possibility?). Probably will wait till end of season for repairs so we can get some much anticipated camping time. Found it peculiar Jayco didn't assign me some kind of case# or claim authorization# for future reference. They said it was not needed. Any opinions as to quality of Camping World repair work etc? Also, is it wise to wait till end of season to repair or should I take advantage of the current "approved" repair situation before opinions/circumstances change as to Jayco's take on the matter.(i.e. the guy that approved the warranty work gets canned and the new guy doesn't agree with his assessment or they change their vote to patching not replacing). All I can say is I couldn't have been happier when I found out I would get a new TT front wall. Rather it not have happened but this is the next best thing. Sales dealership mentioned I may want to consider just repairing the damaged fiberglass(less invasive) instead of cracking the factory side wall seams and installing new front wall etc. I disagree and am for a full wall replacement. Any opinions/pros-cons on that from anyone here? Would it be better to have new wall installed in warm weather this year for good fit rather than colder weather(contraction of materials) and worry about the next summer heat expansion causing issues? Thanks again for the support and opinions. So far a satisfied and relieved Jayco customer.
Reese Strait Line Trunnion Dual Cam WD
Tekonsha P3
cheetahflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #29

Good to hear all is good. Enjoy the season!
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #30

I am happy you are getting a favorable outcome. My opinion would be to get it done sooner rather than later so no one "forgets". I do have concern though, I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to replace the front wall. When it is assembled the first time, it would be easy to seal and pull it all together. I'm sure they have a full process to replace the front wall since jayco made it seem like no big deal. I would want to know in writing how they will replace it and positively seal it back up. I would also want to know how and over what time frame they would fix any leaks. Sitting on the outside I would strongly weigh my options to just fix the cracks and get 1/2 my money back from the dealer. If I were in our shoes, I'd probably do what you are doing and make sure I know exactly what they are going to do.

Those are just my thoughts. Again, I'm glad you are getting a positive response. Happy camping!
Prodigy Brake Controller
pjsl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #31

I would think that the factory could do the work possibly since the walls need to be opened up and re-sealed. Maybe see the possibly and turnaround since it's the skin.

Just an option that might be worth the trip. Plus you can see the factory while there.

Glad to see they are going the extra mile to satisfy your issue to your liking.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #32

I had my cap replaced twice. Once under warrant and once insurance claim.
The first time they opened it up, there was moisture on the inside because the clearance lights were not sealed properly.
2007 Jayco Jayfeather 29A
Crackshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #33

I would give strong consideration to taking the trailer to Jayco for them to do this major of a repair. They certainly know how to do it. If that is an option.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #34

Been very happy with Colerain RV. If Jayco is so close to you, I'd recommend going right to the source for the fix.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #35

I would recommend sooner than later. Only because you are going for the full wall replacement. The sooner you do this, the longer you will have on your remaining warranty to watch for leaks at the newly replaced seals/joints. They will not extend your warranty to cover this.

On the other hand, if you have plans you have already made and would be out the money to cancel those, you should wait.

You will need to decide which version works best for your situation.

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Lady Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I would recommend sooner than later. Only because you are going for the full wall replacement. The sooner you do this, the longer you will have on your remaining warranty to watch for leaks at the newly replaced seals/joints. They will not extend your warranty to cover this.

On the other hand, if you have plans you have already made and would be out the money to cancel those, you should wait.

You will need to decide which version works best for your situation.
Mine took a whole season for replacement both times.
They just do not have the materials on a shelf. They have to include those parts when they do a manufacturing run. If you have to have wood replaced, that's the same thing also.
2007 Jayco Jayfeather 29A
Crackshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #37

This past Columbus Day weekend, I brought my fifth wheel to the Factory for repairs (I made an appointment months in advance). The Factory has several camp-sites right at the repair facility lot. 50 amp service at the "site" and a dump station with potable water nearby (the potable water is near the building and dump station near the road). It was a very pleasant experience for us. I too would recommend Jayco for the repair(s).
Shin Pond Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #38
Site Team

I guess the ideal scenario would be to get something in writing and have Jayco do the repairs next Fall/Winter during the off season so you would not miss any camping. I agree with the others, not sure how many dealers can tackle this repair. But then again I`m just guessing on that.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #39

excellent! Glad to hear Jayco came through for you. I WOULD get the panel replaced asap before someone "forgets" about repairs promosed to you expecially since no claim # etc was given to you. keep us updated, expecially with some after pics.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #40

I live about four hours away from factory. Even though our dealer is a great dealership, I would take mine to the factory. If thing do not go well the factory definitely should stand behind their work.