Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

Snow Chains vs Snow Socks vs Nothing

Hey everybody,

Looking for opinions, thoughts and suggestions. I am getting ready to take my TT up to the mountains to do a little winter camping. Just getting ready for the worst and looking to possibly get some traction devices for the trailer itself. Does anybody have thoughts or suggestions for snow chains or even these snow socks? Also, is it even suggested to not place any traction devices on the TT. Would love to get some thoughts from the group. Thank you!!

Keith
Keithinouye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #2

Since the trailer axles are not drive axles, I would not install chains on trailer tires. You may want to put some cargo weight over the axles inside if possible.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
Since the trailer axles are not drive axles, I would not install chains on trailer tires. You may want to put some cargo weight over the axles inside if possible.
Easy answer and this post pretty much hits it. Do you put chains on the front tires of a 2wheel drive? Why would you think about putting them on a TT?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Good old drag chains as the old time truckers refer to them. No, it isn't common to place chains on your trailer axles. But it is done in some cases in areas out west. Most often you will see it on class 8's decending steep mountain passes in the ice and snow. Also common with log trucks on steep muddy or frozen logging roads. They simply provide enough traction to provide a little lateral control and keep that trailer from passing you going down hill.

I can't honestly say I've ever seen it done with an RV trailer, but I don't see why it couldn't be if absolutely necessary as long as there is clearance.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #5

We live in Oregon, I have a set o chains for the TT and 4x4 pickup also just in case. There are times of the year where they require chains on ALL trailers going over the passes and hills. Semis have to have them on all the drivers and trailers have them on the drag axles. I can guess if you did not have them on your TT you will get ticketed or not allowed to cross the pass.

I HOPE I NEVER NEED TO PUT CHAINS ON THE PICKUP AND TRAILER. I have them just in case.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:23 PM   #6

Montana reqiures chains on trailers if the truck is chained

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:23 PM   #7

If you are going down steep hills you need something on your trailer to keep it from going sideways in the snow. I would go with the socks to give the trailer a smoother ride, I think chains would be to rough of a ride on the trailer. I have chains for my truck, I haven't bought the socks for the trailer and i hope I am smart enough to never need them.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #8

Thank you to everybody that has responded so far. That is what I really enjoy about this forum as the opinions varied and nobody has called me stupid yet

The Meeker, Bassdogs, Midnightmoon, Duke4857, Flyrotor and Timber - thank you for your opinions and feedback!

Duke4857 - I am in Washington state and completely understand what you are saying.

Please keep the feedback coming. Thank you all!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Good old drag chains as the old time truckers refer to them. No, it isn't common to place chains on your trailer axles. But it is done in some cases in areas out west. Most often you will see it on class 8's decending steep mountain passes in the ice and snow. Also common with log trucks on steep muddy or frozen logging roads. They simply provide enough traction to provide a little lateral control and keep that trailer from passing you going down hill.

I can't honestly say I've ever seen it done with an RV trailer, but I don't see why it couldn't be if absolutely necessary as long as there is clearance.
Midnightmoon hit the nail on the head here. Growing up where I did, I would see many commercial vehicles with chains on the trailer axles. If for nothing more than to maintain lateral control and keep the trailer tracking behind you.

That said, I actually have put chains on a couple of trailers I have had for the very reason of preventing lateral slippage while navigating mountain roads. Though I also tend to take my trailers where most people will not. I have been in some pretty 'interesting' situations in which I had to tow out of a hunt camp in the mountains and side slippage would have meant disaster.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #10

You learn something new just about every day. Never heard of chains for TT's and never plan on needing or using them. If conditions are or are predicted to be that bad, I don't go!! I pulled my 34' White Hawk in blizzard conditions [wind and heavy snow] and in retrospect should have stayed in the rest area for 12 hours. No chains just my 4x4 pickup and had no issues. Used a technique that was based on following a couple of 18 wheelers close enough to keep their tail lights in view. I did what they did and I drove in their tire tracks. It could have gone bad many times. I learned my lesson. If its that bad, don't install chains, get off the road.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Midnightmoon hit the nail on the head here. Growing up where I did, I would see many commercial vehicles with chains on the trailer axles. If for nothing more than to maintain lateral control and keep the trailer tracking behind you.

That said, I actually have put chains on a couple of trailers I have had for the very reason of preventing lateral slippage while navigating mountain roads. Though I also tend to take my trailers where most people will not. I have been in some pretty 'interesting' situations in which I had to tow out of a hunt camp in the mountains and side slippage would have meant disaster.

I don't consider myself old, but between discussing drag chains and talking to someone just recently about trolley brakes, I'm starting to realize what a dinosaur I must be.......lol
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
As you did not state your TT model and what you are pulling it with? But be well prepared for winter camping. When heading into the mountains you'll need at least 4 x4 and tire chains and a which are welcome features. Also your TT need to be well protected from winter conditions as not many RV's are.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #13

We should have had chains on the TT when starting up out of our driveway
It slid sideways on the ice buried in snow and hit the hitch of the neighboring trailer (boat) punching a hole in it
Duct tape and rubber sealant time

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #14

We had two short but very steep grades between our house and the highway. A neighbor who lived in his TT at his work site would chain up his camper if the road was bad and take them off after the five miles down to the highway.

I just never would do that myself.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
As you did not state your TT model and what you are pulling it with? But be well prepared for winter camping. When heading into the mountains you'll need at least 4 x4 and tire chains and a which are welcome features. Also your TT need to be well protected from winter conditions as not many RV's are.
ALJO - I am pulling a 2018 White Hawk 27RB with a 2017 Toyota Tundra.

All - Much appreciate all of the comments and suggestions!!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #16

I have seen videos of the Snow Socks pealing off I would never buy them for other then 'City" use. I like the cable chains light weight easy to put on and take up less space. I had a 96 Ford ranger 4X2 that I used them with 400 lbs in the bed I never got stuck I been in 12 plus inch's. They should fine to hold your trailer to the road. the only time I put chains on a trailer was in the Army to keep my trailer from sliding off a icy muddy road in Hoenfels Germany. We use the cable chains on our fire trucks and we have the heavy duty steel chains for really deep snows.
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #17

If the trailer has brakes, Caltrans requires chains. If the road is slick, light brake pressure will lock the brakes and jack knife problems may occur.
DrFredZonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFredZonker View Post
If the trailer has brakes, Caltrans requires chains. If the road is slick, light brake pressure will lock the brakes and jack knife problems may occur.

Oregon also requires chains on trailers with brakes. I know guys that just turn their gain down or off but its a ticket if you get caught. It is best to check your states requirements and if you cant find your answer there, call them.

We are in the same situation, wanting to go snowmobiling while staying in the snow parks. I just want something for last resort as we can always just stay put. My main concern is getting out of the snow park which is flat ground to clear pavement as the plows usually dont get near any vehicles while trying to clean up snow parks. About ready to order the Autosocks as they are compact, light and go off and on fast.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #19

https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/Mini...n-Requirements

Oregon tire chain laws.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote