Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2017, 11:59 PM   #1

So, how does the "Black tank Flush' work?

I see 2018 Jayflights with the Elite package feature a "Black tank flush".
What exactly is this and how does it work?
Is it like a rotating wand inside the tank?
Is it a fixed wand?
Does it go into the tank or just in the discharge pipe?
For those that have it, does it work well?
Does it seem to help prevent the usual black tank clog?
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:24 AM   #2

Exclamation Just rinse away your problems

My 5'r came with the black tank flush. I haven't read the owners manual yet but I do use it every time I go camping. I suspect it's a simple head that sprays into the black tank to clean the sensors and flush debris.
Here's my quick step by step:

* Black tank (toilet) valve CLOSED while in use
* Gray 1 tank (sink/shower) valve OPEN while in use - long showers!
* Gray 2 tank (galley) valve CLOSED while in use
** Black tank valve OPEN to clean
** Connect black tank flush hose (orange). With valve still OPEN, turn water ON to flush. I'll let it run 5-10 minutes, close the valve for 30 SECONDS and then OPEN again. This allows the tank to fill 1/4 the way up before releasing contents again.
** It's very important you leave the Black tank valve OPEN while flushing as it only takes a few minutes to fill if CLOSED. Should it ever overflow - well, you don't want to think about that. Just leave it OPEN for safety.
* Turn water OFF
* OPEN Gray 2 tank to flush pipe/hose.
* Disconnect hose from 5'r and put in back bumper.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:00 AM   #3
Site Team

I have seen one but not installed. It is a described the previous post below.
A spray head at the top of the tank with a check valve to prevent backflow. It is better than nothing is my report, but it will not completely eliminate tank sensor contamination.

The key item to remember in a black tank is to always start with a couple of gallons and always add more water when you flush than solids.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:21 AM   #4

Note that the place you're most likely to use the tank flush is at the dump station... where, very often, the water hose has a spray on the end.
The fitting on the side of our Jayfeather is a regular threaded hose connection... I have learned that it's not a good idea to try to stick the spray nozzle into the flush port and pull the trigger...:-)
I'm going to try using a Water Bandit as an adaptor, next time.

Ian, the wet man from Scotlant
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
I'm going to try using a Water Bandit as an adaptor, next time.
Ian, the wet man from Scotlant
Another tip when using a water bandit, Hold the hose connection with your hand when the water is turned on.

Norty, wet redneck.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-26-2017, 05:55 AM   #6

Our previous Greyhawk had a Black Tank flush and our current Bungalow has one for each black tank. On the Greyhawk, the nozzle was visible when flushing the toilet. It sent about 6 streams of water in different directions. With a hose connected to the black tank flush, it sounded like water was being sprayed throughout the tank. On our Bungalow, the nozzles aren't visible and it sounds like water is just filling the tank.

I turn the black tank flush on right before I pull the black tank lever. I let the tank empty, then close the lever. I wait 5 to 10 minutes, then open the lever again and let the tank drain again. I do this 2 or 3 times. Usually, the water runs clear after the 3rd dump. If it doesn't, I just keep filling and draining until the water runs clear. I close the lever one last time, wait a minute then turn the black tank flush off, leaving a few gallons of water in the tank.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
My 5'r came with the black tank flush. I haven't read the owners manual yet but I do use it every time I go camping. I suspect it's a simple head that sprays into the black tank to clean the sensors and flush debris.
Here's my quick step by step:

* Black tank (toilet) valve CLOSED while in use
* Gray 1 tank (sink/shower) valve OPEN while in use - long showers!
* Gray 2 tank (galley) valve CLOSED while in use
** Black tank valve OPEN to clean
** Connect black tank flush hose (orange). With valve still OPEN, turn water ON to flush. I'll let it run 5-10 minutes, close the valve for 30 SECONDS and then OPEN again. This allows the tank to fill 1/4 the way up before releasing contents again.
** It's very important you leave the Black tank valve OPEN while flushing as it only takes a few minutes to fill if CLOSED. Should it ever overflow - well, you don't want to think about that. Just leave it OPEN for safety.
* Turn water OFF
* OPEN Gray 2 tank to flush pipe/hose.
* Disconnect hose from 5'r and put in back bumper.
Make sure you close any gray water tank that is open BEFORE you open the black water tank. You don't want any chance of black water getting into those tanks. Also if you leave any tank valve open while parked and hooked to a sewer system, you run the risk of polluting the air with sewer gas going out through your venting system.

Been there and smelt that!
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

I use the BT flush every time I dump the tank. After 2 full seasons, my BT gauge still reads perfectly.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #9

When I have the dumpstation all to myself, I use it. I try to get in an out within 10 minutes if there is anyone behind me and this adds a bit of time to the process.

I always use it at full hookup sites before leaving, but we only use those once or twice a year. Around here, those tend to be the 'parking lot' camp grounds we avoid for the most part.

I've used it a couple times at home as well, when I have an empty tank that was drained, but not flushed at the camp ground, dumping the 'flush water' into 5 gallon buckets that I dump down my toilet at home. I bleach out the buckets after. Even a 'clean' black tank stinks so I rarely do this. Almost didn't admit that I ever have.

Speaking of bleach, I had to sanitize my fresh water system this year, some funky well water got in the system that smelled like it was growing stuff (sulfur smell). I made sure a bunch of that concentrated bleach water made it into both black and grey holding tanks. Drove the camper around for an hour and then dumped and flushed the black tank again. Squeaky clean. The water that came out was as clear as it gets. Maybe overkill, but the bleach water was already in the system anyway, no reason not to use it for this too. Also, I've used the black tank flush on an empty black tank, just to get some water in there, without draining.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #10

A lot of dump stations around here do not even have end on the hose.I think they don't want you wasting water!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
A lot of dump stations around here do not even have end on the hose.I think they don't want you wasting water!
If possible I just unscrew the hose and use my own. Also when using the black tank rinse I like to run it to clean out the black but then after done close the black tank valve and leave the rinse on for a few mins to allow some water to stay in the tank. I then dump 2oz of black tank cleaner in. That way on the next trip we're not dropping turds into a dry tank. Plus the extra water gets sloshed around while driving to the next spot all the while it's cleaning everything inside the tank.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #12

Quote:
I carry my own dedicated flush hose for that reason.

Sometimes I leave the BT valve closed for a few minutes and then open to drain and sometimes I just leave it open when cleaning. I have the spray and you can hear it spraying when the water is turned on. Just make sure the GT valve is closed while flushing.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I carry my own dedicated flush hose for that reason.

Sometimes I leave the BT valve closed for a few minutes and then open to drain and sometimes I just leave it open when cleaning. I have the spray and you can hear it spraying when the water is turned on. Just make sure the GT valve is closed while flushing.
x2 I have my own dedicated hose with a quick disconnect on the 5er side.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
Our previous Greyhawk had a Black Tank flush and our current Bungalow has one for each black tank. On the Greyhawk, the nozzle was visible when flushing the toilet. It sent about 6 streams of water in different directions. With a hose connected to the black tank flush, it sounded like water was being sprayed throughout the tank. On our Bungalow, the nozzles aren't visible and it sounds like water is just filling the tank.

I turn the black tank flush on right before I pull the black tank lever. I let the tank empty, then close the lever. I wait 5 to 10 minutes, then open the lever again and let the tank drain again. I do this 2 or 3 times. Usually, the water runs clear after the 3rd dump. If it doesn't, I just keep filling and draining until the water runs clear. I close the lever one last time, wait a minute then turn the black tank flush off, leaving a few gallons of water in the tank.

-Michael
X2 - I also pour a little water softener through the toilet in the water left after the last flush of the black tank to make the remaining water real slippery.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:34 AM   #15

Other have explained the process. After trying mine and still experienced problems with debris in the tank and false readings I purchased a Valtera Reverse RV Flush Valve https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Since I have used this I have had zero problems with false readings and after using it one time, refilled/dumped 3 times, I think I finally got the black tank cleaned.

One other suggestion: Put a radiator clamp around your hose bandit. Then you don't have to worry about holding it in place or having it pop off.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Other have explained the process. After trying mine and still experienced problems with debris in the tank and false readings I purchased a Valtera Reverse RV Flush Valve https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Since I have used this I have had zero problems with false readings and after using it one time, refilled/dumped 3 times, I think I finally got the black tank cleaned.

One other suggestion: Put a radiator clamp around your hose bandit. Then you don't have to worry about holding it in place or having it pop off.
Heres a vid testing several black tank rinser's.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #17

Goducks, Thanks. This was very educational. Don't want to hijack this thread but now I wonder how does the "installed" flush system in the Jayco actually work. Using mine, I could not get the sensors cleaned.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:45 AM   #18

Quote:

I totally agree. Water should not be wasted. And hearing stories from RVers who freely admit they flush their black tank for up to 30 minutes is so aggravating.

Why do people flush for so long? Wasting so much water? So their sensors work?! This is crazy.

The people that use the dump station, and run the black flush for three,four,five cycles are just holding everyone hostage.... while wasting precious water.

People, the black tank sensors stop working after the first time the tank is used. It's just something we need to accept.

Sorry, I'll get down from the soapbox... but if we camping types aren't going to be good stewards of the land and resources... who will?

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:00 AM   #19
Site Team

I agree completely. I obsessed about the black tank sensors for a while and soon realized that a whole industry was built around the insecurities of those who worry about how to keep those cheap sensors accurate.

Anyone that camps on a regular basis can figure out when they are full without sensors. I use my fresh water sensor and shower grey sensor but the other grey and black can be routinely estimated easily,

I know that I can go 4-5 days on the kitchen grey and 6-7 days on my black without ever looking at them.

If you want to simplify your life, just figure out your usage and buy a blue boy that fits your water using lifestyle. There are more expensive systems that are more accurate but sheo wants to spend the extra money on that?

If I have sewer, I just open the valves every few days and let it dump, let it fill a few days before you leave. If no sewer you will know when to dump the blue boy.

Now all bets are off if you have a bunch of kids with you who have not been trained in how to conserve water.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 09-29-2017, 06:49 AM   #20

Sensors

Whenever I start getting false sensor readings on my black tank I pour about 2 cups of water softener down the toilet and it has never failed to remove the yuk off the sensors and restore true readings without wasting tons of water.

https://www.amazon.com/Calgon-Liquid...Water+softener

Last week a 5er next to me had a "hanger" with no back flush and I loaned him some softener and it cleared the hanger in about 5 minutes. Slippery stuff.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote