Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #21

I have held off commenting because the OP has not back in a while, and the responses were starting to be potentially overwhelming. They have also been really good though!

Because I am relatively new to much of this as well, my recommendation would be:

1) Relax. Take it slow.
2) Ask specific questions in specific threads. Be as specific as possible, with the info you have. Ignore any response that are flippant, 99.9% will understand you are new to this and will give tremendous help.
3) Some people have recommend an at home dry run. I take it just one baby step further and recommend an over night test at the nicest RV camp closest to you, even if 10 minutes away. But see number 4 below.
4) The one thing you need to make sure you understand before doing anything is SAFETY. Can you hitch and unhitch properly? Are your weight distribution and brakes correct? Can you do basic maneuvering? Research this stuff, get confident, and do number 3 in a close by environment as soon as possible.
5) Read, read, read. You likely don't even know what you don't know yet, and that's fine. You figure that out by reading as much as possible, and coming upon tangential information that sparks a question, or an answer. If you have a Jayco specifically, this forum is great. There are a couple other general forums that I believe are also a cut above.

Enjoy the new RV, and relax.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrea84 View Post
Hi

I'm new to this whole RV thing. I'm looking for some help, guidance, and just general answers to my questions.

I've never owned an Ror even been in an RV before, but now I do. I bought a 2020 Jayco Feather. Even tho i had a tutorial with the dealer, i learned very little and I was too embarrassed to ask questions because he assumed I knew everything and moved incredibly fast. For example, how do i even turn on the ac? He never showed me. I've searched youtube and jayco's website and even the owners manual. Also, he mentioned something about batteries boiling water and 3 days. I have no idea what he meant---can someone make sense? I have so many more questions, but am eager to learn and research.

I'm not going to go out and camp until I know how to use this thing. is there any really good youtube channels or websites which go over settings like gray/black water and how to hook up, setup, what to do when leaving, etc?

I hope I don't look like an idiot for asking these questions. I appreciate everyones help.

Thank you
Kevin
Here’s a great newsletter that may also help:

https://www.rvtravel.com/new1/
tdbrackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #23

We all have to start somewhere. YouTube was my best friend and still is. I watched many videos and felt comfortable enough to go out and enjoy the adventure. Also, your neighbors at the campsite can be very helpful. You will make mistakes and that’s okay. My manual was very helpful too but start with the videos. Good luck
Wendiepr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #24

Start a folder for your RV on your computer. When you find info on the internet you feel is helpful, save the link to the folder.

I found as many manuals in PDF form as possible for all my appliances, or anything I could that is on my TT. That way you don't always have to find your owners manuals in your RV to look up something.

There's a ton of info out there. Subscribe to Trailer Life or Motorhome magazine as they have a lot of articles to learn from.

Join other forums such as rv.net or IRV2 or any other manufacturer forum.

Owners are the best source for info.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #25

To phrea84.
I just sent you a private email about my son who also lives in the Denver area. He recently purchased a TT and may be able to give you some information about U-tube etc.
Let me know if we can be helpful.
IrishSettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Hi

I'm new to this whole RV thing. I'm looking for some help, guidance, and just general answers to my questions.

I've never owned an Ror even been in an RV before, but now I do. I bought a 2020 Jayco Feather. Even tho i had a tutorial with the dealer, i learned very little and I was too embarrassed to ask questions because he assumed I knew everything and moved incredibly fast. For example, how do i even turn on the ac? He never showed me. I've searched youtube and jayco's website and even the owners manual. Also, he mentioned something about batteries boiling water and 3 days. I have no idea what he meant---can someone make sense? I have so many more questions, but am eager to learn and research.

I'm not going to go out and camp until I know how to use this thing. is there any really good youtube channels or websites which go over settings like gray/black water and how to hook up, setup, what to do when leaving, etc?

I hope I don't look like an idiot for asking these questions. I appreciate everyones help.

Thank you
Kevin
I’ll just address tank flushing. After draining the black tank you must clean it. Some trailers have a hose connection built into the side of the trailer for flushing/cleaning the black tank. I use a plastic wand with a brass spinner at the bottom which connects to my hose. The wand is inserted into the black tank through the toilet, the hose is turned on, and the spinner sprays water at high speed to clean the tank. I also squirt a little Dawn into the toilet. Let it spray for 2 minutes. If you add some Happy Camper to your black tank, you’ll only have to wash it out with the wand every two or three dumps. The Camco wand is available on Amazon and at Walmart.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #27

We had a 2 week delay between purchase and pickup. In the interim, I downloaded the Owner's Manual and studied it cover to cover. When our PDI came (and it was pretty good I might add) I knew what questions to ask and didn't let the girl continue until I understood completely. Whatever I missed was easily cleared up by simply reading the Manual again.

Its a good resource - open a beer and read a few chapters every night.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #28

Ditto to what LuckyDuck said
scweddnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #29

I was in the exact same boat as you, with everything going on in the world we thought let's buy a TT and explore and I had never owned or even pulled any type of trailer in my life.
We lucked out and our demo guy was amazing, we even asked his permission to video the whole thing and have gone back a bunch of times to make sure I was doing something right (I did to turn on the AC)
I booked a couple very close pull through sites just as little test runs to get used to everything in case I either forgot something or made a mistake.
Now we leave tomorrow for our 2nd 10 trip and have 6 already done this year with more booked in August.
This forum helped a lot and remember just take your time, don't stress and enjoy your TT and you will be a pro in no time!!
Marty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #30

This video is a very thorough walk-thru/demo by a Jayco dealer in Florida. It's not your exact model, but many of these tasks and functions are very similar. It's almost an hour long but worth the time, IMO.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:44 PM   #31

If you Google your exact year, make and model rv, you'd be surprised how many videos will pop up to help you. If going back to the dealer with the trailer isn't an option to get a better understanding, then Google should be your first move.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
This video is a very thorough walk-thru/demo by a Jayco dealer in Florida. It's not your exact model, but many of these tasks and functions are very similar. It's almost an hour long but worth the time, IMO.

Ha. That’s the same link I put up. I guess that guy has a following!

2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.4L
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Hi

Thank you

Kevin
One thing you can be sure of is some great advice from here and that everyone on here has done something silly rving they may wish the spouse didn't know about. [emoji1787]
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #34

Hi many people have given you great advice. All I can really add is about batteries boiling, just check the batteries like you do your tow vehicle open the caps if they are there and check the fluid is covering top of those plates inside the battery, do not over fill if topping up and always use only distilled water NO TAP WATER. Other than all the comments given treat this like a learn how to do it then when all learned up trade in and buy new one.
Rcemerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #35

Looks like the OP disappeared. Lots of good advice though. Wonder where they went??

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:42 PM   #36

Please don't ever feel bad about asking anything. We have all been you at one time. RVers are great people.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #37

First of all Congratulations on the new trailer. We are all here to learn and help each other. One thing would be nice to know what the model of Jayco you have. Put it in you description you will probly get a lot of help from people who have the same trailer. So take your time and enjoy the journey. You always can call and ask the dealership for help. If not call Jayco they will try to help also. Most of all HAPPY Camping.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcemerat View Post
Hi many people have given you great advice. All I can really add is about batteries boiling, just check the batteries like you do your tow vehicle open the caps if they are there and check the fluid is covering top of those plates inside the battery, do not over fill if topping up and always use only distilled water NO TAP WATER. Other than all the comments given treat this like a learn how to do it then when all learned up trade in and buy new one.
If your equipment is OK, a battery cannot boil. If the converter (or battery charger) is providing excess voltage the battery will boil. Same for a car or any 12 V system. Charging voltage should be in the 13-14 volt range, depending upon the state of discharge.

Now, having said that, one time I bought a brand new (brand deleted) battery for my boat and it boiled over every day. The suppliker would not honor the warranty, even though I documented 13 V in the system. Changed the battery (to a different brand) and to this day no problem. So, batteries can be bad. You just need to check voltage to be sure its not your problem.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #39

Lot's of good advice. I'm not trying to be nit-picky, be a smart-butt or anything, but I take a little exception to this (especially for Newbies):

"Just remember, this isn't hard. Black is poopy, gray is shower and sink drains. When you need to empty the waste tanks, you'll go to the campsite dump.

You'll hook your sewer hose (also called a Stinky Slinky) to the spout on the RV. The other end goes into the sewer opening.

Pull the Black Tank valve open first - SLOWLY. Odds are the hose might jump out of the opening and you'll need to close the valve quickly if that happens! Once things look good - open the Black valve and let the poop drain."

No sir. Pull the gray first BRIEFLY. If you get a surprise shower, it will be exponentially better getting a gray shower over a black tank shower. If water flows and no problems, close it and drain the black. Only takes a second.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:51 PM   #40

Believe it or not, the Jayco manual you should have received has some good basic info in it. I suggest reading it through, and then watching the YouTube videos on the subjects you have more questions on. You probably got a stack of manuals from each of the appliances, AC, and others bits also: you should read those, too. If you can't find the manuals, look in one of the kitchen drawers, the salesman probably stuffed them in there.
We bought our first TT last summer, and everything was new to me too.
ramori is offline   Reply With Quote