Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
If you have to replace an existing plastic "crimped" PEX fitting (elbow, tee, etc..)...., the easiest replacement fix is a "SharkBite" brand fitting (brass, thus a little pricey), or "Flair-it" brand plastic fittings (both brands are designed for 1/2" PEX tubing, conduit, etc.).

"SharkBite" fittings are available at Lowes & Home Depot..., and "Flair-it" fittings at most RV dealerships. PEX metal crimp rings and special crimp tools aren't required with these fittings..........., the only tool needed is a cutting tool for the plastic PEX tubing.

I always keep a couple feet of 1/2" PEX tubing and extra Flair-it fittings on hand......, and has saved the day a number of times over the years.

Bob
2X for the shark bites. They are even able to behind sheetrock walls in houses and mobile homes. It is a great idea to put a few spare parts in the camp trailer. There is also a cheep plastic removal tool for shark bites.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:31 AM   #22

Is Jayco no longer a premium brand?

I am downsizing from my motorhome and had selected the Jayco SLX 7 154BH. Jayco has always been one of those brands that I always trusted. However, I'm hearing so many horror stories about the quality after the buyout that I'm getting a little leery of this brand. I'm hearing that even the 2 year warranty is not good because the dealers can't get you in for a long time. I know they sometimes authorize repairs at an independent repair shop but one of the reasons I've always been attracted to Jayco was because who wants to hassle with that. In particular these water leaks seem to be mostly a workmanship issue with poor quality installation. Is there no more quality control? Do they pressure test the plumbing system before shipping? There's nothing wrong with pex if installed properly. I don't know. Has Winnebago gone the same way?
wfinigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #23

I suspect Jayco is no different from any other large RV manufacturer. Jayco is stretched to it's max trying to keep up with demand. They are selling everything they build, and being pushed to sell more. Because of this, Jayco and the other manufacturers are not able to slow down and make sure everything is up to snuff on each trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfinigan View Post
I am downsizing from my motorhome and had selected the Jayco SLX 7 154BH. Jayco has always been one of those brands that I always trusted. However, I'm hearing so many horror stories about the quality after the buyout that I'm getting a little leery of this brand. I'm hearing that even the 2 year warranty is not good because the dealers can't get you in for a long time. I know they sometimes authorize repairs at an independent repair shop but one of the reasons I've always been attracted to Jayco was because who wants to hassle with that. In particular these water leaks seem to be mostly a workmanship issue with poor quality installation. Is there no more quality control? Do they pressure test the plumbing system before shipping? There's nothing wrong with pex if installed properly. I don't know. Has Winnebago gone the same way?

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #24

Always lots of excuses with Jayco warranty!My experience was 2 year's and 11 months. Hours and hours on the phone with Jayco and dealer.Got all my work done just the way I wanted.Have to be persistent that as kind a way as I can put it!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #25

It sickens me that an established American company which had a good name at one point has gone this way. It they can not meet the demand with a decent production/quality balance then they should expand their production lines. I have not priced a new Jayco but I am sure they're not cheap and with a we'll known name like Jayco on it the camper should be expected to be held to a certain level of quality. And we wonder why other countries don't buy American......... sickening.
Unfortunately alot of other companies have gone the same way. Production numbers matter, warranties are engineered better than most of the components it covers. Engineered to NOT cover anything or make it near impossible to get it in to be repaired.
rant over...........sorry.
DOUBLETROUBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:08 AM   #26

Jayco has expanded their production lines. And I suspect other companies have also.

The problem with the expanded production lines is finding qualified workers.
Currently, the Elkhart area is experiencing the lowest unemployment rate in the country. To man all the expanded production lines, Jayco is forced to hire anyone that can chew gum and walk at the same time.

Hence, I believe, is another reason for the degradation of the Jayco product.

Of course this huge expansion of production capabilities is going to play hell in the next recession, and there will be one at some point in the future.
Every company is going to have production facilities that will have to be shuttered. The few independent companies left will probably fold, and the two main producers of RV's will shutter a lot of production buildings, and will probably drop a lot of duplicate lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLETROUBLE View Post
It sickens me that an established American company which had a good name at one point has gone this way. It they can not meet the demand with a decent production/quality balance then they should expand their production lines. I have not priced a new Jayco but I am sure they're not cheap and with a we'll known name like Jayco on it the camper should be expected to be held to a certain level of quality. And we wonder why other countries don't buy American......... sickening.
Unfortunately alot of other companies have gone the same way. Production numbers matter, warranties are engineered better than most of the components it covers. Engineered to NOT cover anything or make it near impossible to get it in to be repaired.
rant over...........sorry.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:17 AM   #27

I've also noticed (and didn't mention this in my first post on this thread) that in my experience at least, the younger work force leaves alot to be desired. The younger people, say in their 20's, don't seem to have any work ethics or pride in what they do at all. They want the paycheck but don't care whether or not if they do a good job. Most can't seem to leave their phone alone long enough to do anything. I used to be in management but have since changed jobs partially because of this. I wanted to fire all of them! I've been noticing this trend for we time now and it's disturbing to think that these young people are our future.
DOUBLETROUBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:46 AM   #28

I hope my journey goes well.
The right side of my camper has a sag in the floor. Wheel well has twisted along with interior side wall buckle.
My dealer wants it in immediately to get it repaired.
Its going in October 5th. I'll keep you all posted.
I just hope it doesn't need to go back to the factory.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:58 AM   #29

Why We Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLETROUBLE View Post
I've also noticed (and didn't mention this in my first post on this thread) that in my experience at least, the younger work force leaves alot to be desired. The younger people, say in their 20's, don't seem to have any work ethics or pride in what they do at all. They want the paycheck but don't care whether or not if they do a good job. Most can't seem to leave their phone alone long enough to do anything. I used to be in management but have since changed jobs partially because of this. I wanted to fire all of them! I've been noticing this trend for we time now and it's disturbing to think that these young people are our future.
DW and I have been teaching our youth for 30 and 20 years respectively. She is a college instructor and administrator, and I teach middle school kids. The changes we see over the last thirty years are frightening, nerve-racking, disgusting, pathetic, and very very sad. We have a never-ending discourse in our home about the degradation of our culture, the dismantling of families, the child-centered neurotic preoccupations of parents and schools, and the hyper-facilitation of children that deprives them of super valuable character forging struggles.

Whatever Happened to Self Denial?
We were not given a pinky's worth of the opportunities and cultivation that our students are afforded. The cultivation of a work ethic requires struggle. Struggle causes pain. No one, or at least next to no one, wants their little Beau or Belle to experience the rigors that dignified accountable character requires. Fact is, very few adults, especially my generation, are tough enough to live sacrificial, austere, or even modest lives. The flesh wants what it wants, and as a culture we increasingly obey it (the flesh). Our grandparents led principled lives. Principles and reason have been replaced by emotion and relativism.

Pay Check? Pacifiers, Man . . . Pacifiers - Everyone Wants One, Everyone Gets One
To your point: The fact is, many young people today do not even care about a "pay-check." They are increasingly moving through their teens and twenties with less and less internal fortitude, dignity, honor, resourcefulness, intellectual integrity, civility - an anchored core. It is no wonder that suicide and addictions plague our youth. When all you have is "self," the road to pointlessness is straight and virtually instantaneous. Parents do not want to engage the very difficult battle of raising principled "can-do" kids. This requires sacrifice and exhausting effort. Parents want what they want. It is not hard to see why kids are developing into self-saturated, "me-minded" people. DW and I live it every day all day. It's "Give me mine now." Instead of pens and paper, our students (increasingly our parents) require mental and spiritual Huggies, Desinex, and chocolate. Sadly, this has trickled up to colleges. DW now spends her time nursing "heart-broken mommies" (verbatim) who fear twenty-year old Johnny won't be able to navigate lunch in the commons. No kidding, folks.

And this is why we camp . . . oh, and repair/rebuild our shoddy RV.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
DW and I have been teaching our youth for 30 and 20 years respectively. She is a college instructor and administrator, and I teach middle school kids. The changes we see over the last thirty years are frightening, nerve-racking, disgusting, pathetic, and very very sad. We have a never-ending discourse in our home about the degradation of our culture, the dismantling of families, the child-centered neurotic preoccupations of parents and schools, and the hyper-facilitation of children that deprives them of super valuable character forging struggles.

We were not given a pinky's worth of the opportunities and cultivation that our students are afforded. The cultivation of a work ethic requires struggle. Struggle causes pain. No one, or at least next to no one, wants their little Beau or Belle to experience the rigors that dignified accountable character requires. Fact is, very few adults, especially my generation, are tough enough to live sacrificial, austere, or even modest lives. The flesh wants what it wants, and as a culture we increasingly obey it (the flesh). Our grandparents led principled lives. Principles and reason have been replaced by emotion and relativism.

Pay Check? Pacifiers, Man . . . Pacifiers - Everyone Wants One, Everyone Gets One
To your point: The fact is, many young people today do not even care about a "pay-check." They are increasingly moving through their teens and twenties with less and less internal fortitude, dignity, honor, resourcefulness, intellectual integrity, civility - an anchored core. It is no wonder that suicide and addictions plague our youth. When all you have is "self," the road to pointlessness is straight and virtually instantaneous. Parents do not want to engage the very difficult battle of raising principled "can-do" kids. This requires sacrifice and exhausting effort. Parents want what they want. It is not hard to see why kids are developing into self-saturated, "me-minded" people. DW and I live it every day all day. It's "Give me mine now." Instead of pens and paper, our students (increasingly our parents) require mental and spiritual Huggies, Desinex, and chocolate. Sadly, this has trickled up to colleges. DW now spends her time nursing "heart-broken mommies" (verbatim) who fear twenty-year old Johnny won't be able to navigate lunch in the commons. No kidding, folks.

Sung to the tune of "Age of Aquarius", The Fifth Dimension

When all the kids, live in their parents house
and we all drive electric cars
When all the players get a ribbon
and no one goes without a prize,
This is the dawning of the age of Entitlement,
Age of Entitlement,
Entitlement,
Entitlement
Mach1tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post

Well said commentary from your perspective. Fortunately we may not live long enough to suffer the consequences.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Norty1: "Fortunately we may not live long enough to suffer the consequences"

Put the right thinking in conscious or even expand it and think: "Eternal Life"

You then can camp forever, don't forget to pass it on.

The saying is: "what we think will happen"
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote