Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #1

So tired of the leaks

So here we are on yet another camping trip having to fix leaks. We have a 2017 jayflight 24RBS. We had already fixed the leaks under the outside kitchen and one of the leaks in the back of the kitchen, the redline. Now we’re trying to fix the blue line that’s leaking everywhere and we can’t get to it. We need to take the outside kitchen apart. Our Jayco dealer is useless. Won’t even take us right now, of course. We have three days left camping. No water, no toilet. Is it hard to remove the outside kitchen to gain access? Attached is a photo of what we see from the inside that we just can’t get to. Thanks in advance.
LoriCalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #2

Pic

Here’s the pic
Old 09-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriCalif View Post
Here’s the pic
Not seeing it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #4

Time to get on the phone to Jayco.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #5

Sorry for no pic. I tried with both my iPhone and iPad but no luck. Called Jayco. They have no sympathy. Said our closest and only Jayco repair was Richardson’s RV in Menifee and they can’t see us until November!!! We are at this moment trying to get to the line behind the outdoor sink by removing the stovetop.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #6

Jayco has authorized repairs through independent RV repair companies. Maybe this would be one of those times. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:15 AM   #7

We did ask and were told our only option for our area was Richardson’s RV. In Menifee. This is an absolutely terrible and vacation-ruining experience once again with Jayco. Wish we had never purchased from this company. Can you really imagine that every single frickin time you go camping that something leaks? I bring 20 extra towels now just in case.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #8

Can you get to it from inside the unit by removing a section of wallboard? You can always fix that later then....
Old 09-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip..... Is it hard to remove the outside kitchen to gain access?......snip
It can be done (I removed mine) and the simplest way is to disconnect the plumbing under the sink and remove the entire sink/stove drawer assembly. Also, there is a access panel (near floor) in the bathroom that gives very limited access to the outside kitchen plumbing.

The drawer assembly is bulky/heavy so two people make it a lot easier to handle when removing. Once everything is disconnected look for two black plastic tabs located on the drawer slide rails...., moving these tabs (up/down) with a finger will release the drawer slide rail assembly to pull free from base slide rail...., same process of removing kitchen cabinet drawers.

Having the drawer assembly out will give you "workable" access to the plumbing.

NOTE: The photo shows the upper wood shelf removed and sink/stove base slide rail wood frame support removed because I removed the entire kitchen in favor of using the space for storage.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #10

Thanks wallacemf!! We’re going to do that when we get home! It was never a pretty access anyway!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:06 PM   #11

Rustic Eagle. Awesome! We will try this too, if need be! I will update when we fix things!
Old 09-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #12

We bought our Jayflight Bungalow new last year. A couple days after we bought it, we found water in the kitchen. Turned out to be the hot water connection at the sink in the half bath. A little teflon tape corrected that problem. A few days later, more water, same place. Turned out to be the hot water connection on the kitchen sink. Again, teflon tape solved that problem. After we arrived this season, the hot water connection at the kitchen sink was leaking again! I removed all the teflon tape and re-applied with about 5 or 6 wraps of teflon tape. Didn't leak for the rest of the summer.

Our Jayco motorhome had the same problem with the toilet - on the cold water inlet and on the hot water heater, were the hot water connection is. This connection came loose while traveling one time. Someone left the pump on while we were driving and fortunately someone noticed the water.

One roll of teflon tape is probably enough for 10 RVs, maybe more. I guess Jayco can't spring for that $1 roll of tape for every 10 or so RVs they manufacture.

Hopefully, your problem is easily fixed with some teflon tape.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #13

Michael - I was so excited to share this with my husband, but then he said our connections are not threaded but are crimped. Dang it!
Old 09-07-2018, 01:08 AM   #14

Same here, so far our 2016 28BHBE leaked at the pump, toilet valve, kitchen sink sprayer, behind shower, fresh water tank valve, and bathroom sink.

My advice, make sure you have the proper sized hose clamps and a spare toilet valve in your tool kit.

2008 Sierra 2500HD LMM
2016 Jay Flight 28BHBE
trailerCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:32 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... our connections are not threaded but are crimped. Dang it!
If you have to replace an existing plastic "crimped" PEX fitting (elbow, tee, etc..)...., the easiest replacement fix is a "SharkBite" brand fitting (brass, thus a little pricey), or "Flair-it" brand plastic fittings (both brands are designed for 1/2" PEX tubing, conduit, etc.).

"SharkBite" fittings are available at Lowes & Home Depot..., and "Flair-it" fittings at most RV dealerships. PEX metal crimp rings and special crimp tools aren't required with these fittings..........., the only tool needed is a cutting tool for the plastic PEX tubing.

I always keep a couple feet of 1/2" PEX tubing and extra Flair-it fittings on hand......, and has saved the day a number of times over the years.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Michael - I was so excited to share this with my husband, but then he said our connections are not threaded but are crimped. Dang it!
All the fittings would be crimped on the Pex, but those fittings would then be screwed into the faucet just like any residential faucet.

Otherwise, how would you replace the faucet? Replace it a few times and the Pex wouldn't be long enough anymore.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #17

I've had multiple water leaks as well that I've mentioned on this forum in the past.

Taking me away from my precious & rare vacation time with my family PISSES ME OFF TO NO END. Especially as my issues were all due to CRAPPY workmanship.

Do I sound pissed off? GOOD

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez Kid View Post
I've had multiple water leaks as well that I've mentioned on this forum in the past.

Taking me away from my precious & rare vacation time with my family PISSES ME OFF TO NO END. Especially as my issues were all due to CRAPPY workmanship.

Do I sound pissed off? GOOD
Exactly. Almost all of the manufacturers can't even spell the word let alone put it in their RV's.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #19

DO your leaks happen when on city water ? Are you using a pressure regulator on your incoming water line? Are you sure it's leaking from the pex crimp fitting, or the threaded fitting attached to the faucet?

You have to upload the picture than post it. Under go advanced. Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #20

I had 2 leaks in the bathroom cabinet of my 2017 23RB. The first one was right after I got it. The fitting where the rear outside shower connects was leaking. For that, I bought some cone washers and replaced the one that came with the trailer. It had been put in crooked and crushed when tightening it at the factory.

On our recent trip out to the Rockies the bathroom faucet developed a leak. Interestingly, it mostly leaked when using the shower. After wetting down, I'd move the lever on the shower head to off, and the back pressure caused the faucet to leak.

I was on the way from Arco, Idaho (Craters of the Moon National Monument) to Grand Tetons NP. Our trip took us through Idaho Falls, Idaho where an authorized Jayco dealer, Bish's RV Super Center, had a store. At first they said they didn't have an opening to fix it that day, then changed their mind, and was able to fit us in that morning.

Long story short, turned out the threads on the faucet were stripped, and another cone washer had been crushed when manufactured. Bish's replaced the faucet and washers, and several thousand miles and the trip back to Virginia, it's still dry. The only down side is the replacement faucet is the chrome finish, while all my faucets, etc are the "brushed nickel" finish. But a dry bathroom was more important than the correct colored faucet. I really don't notice the change now.

I do want to give another positive shout out, and two thumbs up to Bish's and Kim the technician that fixed our problem. All done under Jayco warranty.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote