Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2022, 03:29 PM   #1

Solar - add or replace?

I have a 2022 Jayflight 212QBW Rocky Mountain that came with a single Go Power 100w (polycrystalline) panel.

I want to add at least 1 more panel. The conundrum is do I go with another overpriced & less efficient go power panel that matches the one already installed, or do I get 2 Renogy panels (I’m a big fan)? I fan get 2 Renogy mono-crystalline panels and charge controller for less than the single go power panel.

If I want to keep the warranty intact I think I have to pay to have either installed, and the Renogy approach would be more expensive so it might be a wash for cost in the end?

How have others solved for this?

Thanks
Mike
higgorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 03:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgorama View Post
I have a 2022 Jayflight 212QBW Rocky Mountain that came with a single Go Power 100w (polycrystalline) panel.

I want to add at least 1 more panel. The conundrum is do I go with another overpriced & less efficient go power panel that matches the one already installed, or do I get 2 Renogy panels (I’m a big fan)? I fan get 2 Renogy mono-crystalline panels and charge controller for less than the single go power panel.

If I want to keep the warranty intact I think I have to pay to have either installed, and the Renogy approach would be more expensive so it might be a wash for cost in the end?

How have others solved for this?

Thanks
Mike
I was reading an article about solar panels, it said keep everything the same don't switch brands because they don't test everything the same and it can actually reduce the power. Go with one or the other. It also says the controller makes a big difference, there is the 60 dollar one or the 300 dollar one, never mix sizes. Mine came with 10 gauge wire that's good
Old 08-13-2022, 04:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I was reading an article about solar panels, it said keep everything the same don't switch brands because they don't test everything the same and it can actually reduce the power. Go with one or the other. It also says the controller makes a big difference, there is the 60 dollar one or the 300 dollar one, never mix sizes. Mine came with 10 gauge wire that's good
Yep, completely agree - will be either 100% go power or 100% Renogy. I guess my struggle is not wanting to pay way more for 1 less efficient panel (go power)
higgorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:51 PM   #4

Look into residential panels. Quite a few are posted on CL or Facebook marketplace locally here. I've had 2 - 320 watt residential panels on my roof ($200 ea. new) for over 8k miles and I'm quite happy with them.
They may need a different charge controller than you have as I'm not familiar with go power. Check your roof for room first as they run larger and need a flat area, and they may require more mounting brackets. I don't believe there is anything special about the go power panels other than the shocking price.
OR-
Pick up a residential panel or 2 and a controller and use em' as a portable until your warranty is over, then mount them.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:05 AM   #5

Go Renogy and mod the old panel to use as a "suitcase" source.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:55 PM   #6

I have a 2022 Jayco 264BH with the 100W go power "factory system". Same situation you are in.

Instead of making new holes in the roof and adding panels, I added 200W of Renogy using the 200W starter kit, I made it into a suitcase using some hinges and other common hardware. The starter kit comes with controller and all wiring needed, Just hook to the camper battery and chase the sun with it. EASY and modular. It can be used for many things, not just the camper.

I like this a lot because of the flexibility. I usually park the camper in the shade, so having a solar system that IS NOT mounted to the camper roof is a must. The Renogy kit has enough cable to reach out and grab the sun.

The two separate solar systems are not connected other than at the battery terminals, no issues, they take of of themselves with the separate controllers.
Attached Thumbnails
Renogy 200W stater.JPG  
1911Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:32 AM   #7

I'd rather have a brand I know and trust. Personally, I'd swap out for my own hardware.

You don't have to have someone else do the install, you can do it yourself. But if a roof leak comes that originates from where it was installed, it's on you. Same, honestly, if you pay to have someone else do it.

Tags
go power, renogy, solar panels