Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2018, 04:39 PM   #1

Solar chargers?

So we were thinking about getting a small solar charger for our 2017 28BHBE, what brand and model is everyone using? All we're really looking for is something to keep the battery charged throughout the year.
MK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK19 View Post
All we're really looking for is something to keep the battery charged throughout the year.
Are you looking to just keep the battery topped off or bring it back to a full charge after an outing?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Are you looking to just keep the battery topped off or bring it back to a full charge after an outing?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
I have absolutely zero experience with anything solar, so I really don't know what I'm looking for.
MK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK19 View Post
I have absolutely zero experience with anything solar, so I really don't know what I'm looking for.

Are you going to mount the panel on the roof? Or portable? Is there a lot of direct sunlight where it is stored?

- If you are just going to keep the battery topped off (fully charged), this would mean that you are parking your TT when finished using it, with a fully charged battery around 13.2 volts(Float), then you could possibly get away with a 50 watt SOLAR panel with SOLAR Charge controller (the SOLAR charge controller keeps the battery from over charging and at night disconnects the panel from the controller so as not to discharge the battery.

- If you are going to be doing any camping without a shore power hook up to charge your battery, you will need more SOLAR to insure that your battery is fully charged after using it at night, or if you are going to park your TT without a FULLY charged battery after using it. I do not recommend anything smaller than a 100 watt SOLAR panel with a SOLAR charge controller. If this is what you are looking for, Renogy has a nice 100Watt SOLAR panel kit with 30 AMP SOLAR charge controller for a reasonable price. Just go to Amazon and search for Renogy 100 watt SOLAR kit with 30 amp charger. The nice thing about this kit is that with the 30 amp SOLAR charge controller, you can add additional SOLAR panels should you need them in the future.

Good luck,

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:50 PM   #5

I just went through this. Let me save you some time. Get:

Renogy 200w panel package (2-100w)
Get a 30amp renogy pwm controller
Get 2 40amp surface mount breakers -1 for positive cable to battery from controller and from panels to controller
Get 30-50’ of pv cable
Get a parrell pv connector
Get 2 6v batteries from Costco
Get a 2awg 12” cable to connect batteries
Get 7-10’ 4awg + and - cable to connect co troller to battery
Get a master disconnect switch
Get 2 renogy solar pane mount kits.
Get a battery monitor system
Get 24 wag strand wire for you battery monitor if it didn’t come with it.
Get a 100amp shunt for your battery monitor if it didn’t come with it.

I just saved you like 2 months of research. Buy on amusing and return it if you don’t like it. You will. Just search each of those items.
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #6

Our 291rsts was “wired for solar”. If yours is also, you can plug in our mount a solar panel(I have a 100 watt) to a plug of the roof or into a plug in your connivence panel where you hook up your water or cable. You also would install your controller ( I have a 30amp) on the wall inside your rv where the sticker says wired for solar. A 30 amp controller will handle 1 to 4 100watt solar panels in case you want to add more panels.

If yours is “solar ready” that would mean there is a plug near your batteries that you can plug a “solar kit” into. That’s a solar panel with a controller attached to the panel that may even be in a case that will protect it when you store it in the rv.

Then you need to place the panel so it’s facing good sun. Roof is normally the best spot but maybe you need to move it out of the shade from trees, that’s where you need some extra sections of cable so you can place it in the sun.

That should get you started, then you can start buying all the extras that were listed above.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:08 AM   #7

Don recommended the Renogy system to us and we purchased it. Are very happy with it. We can use the TT at night, including the heater, and our 100 watt system charges the battery back to full each day. Of course, you need sun and need to keep the panel facing into the sun.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #8

Roof solar pre-wire cable location inside trailer

I had to use a 'Tone Generator /Wire Tracer' to find the solar cables that are pre-wired to the roof MP4 connector and the solar cables that go to the battery. Do Not Trust the "Sticker" located in the trailer that says the solar cables are "here" and to use this sticker to cut the wall for the solar controller! Jayco factory service could not - or - would not tell me where the pre- wires were in the coach. I used the tone generator and found them right away as you can pick up the tone on the wires through the walls. My wires were about 3 feet and 2 wall studs away from the Pre-Wire Solar Sticker. I have a 2018 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS Fifth Wheel.
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #9

I have a 120 watt portable suitcase solar panel that cost just under $200. It charges at 6.7 amps (when in direct sun light) and once it reaches 14.3 volts it goes into a trickle charge and drops to 13.8 volts. I periodically (approx 3 time a week) set in the trailer and listen to music for a hour or two and my battery is always fully charged by the next day.
Akraft is offline   Reply With Quote