Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2020, 06:24 AM   #1

Solar Help!

I am researching whether or not to add solar "GO Power Overland/Weekender" from the dealer - I really can't find the benefit - On a previous rig - I put on a Battery Tender 12V Solar trickle charger with controller (60 bucks amazon) and just clamped it direct to the battery and screwed into the side of the rig. It sat for years on a single deep cycle marine battery and never needed additional support. With that being said - it didn't have (inverter/converter I never know which one) to support using AC outlets which I'm interested in doing. So - Do I need to go 1K to 2K in solar to do that? I have watched hours of youtube videos and they get too technical and sciencey for me. Really just want to know if I can use AC outlets while boondocking some how... Some way without a 2K Weekender solar package? Or can i just add an inverter???
Thanks!
Pikespeakfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:43 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Too expensive!
There's no rocket science to solar systems! These kits like the ones from Go Power are just not worth the money.
Get yourself a couple 6V deep cycle batteries which should cost around $400, one or two 100 watt panels which shouldn't cost more than $120 each, and a solar controller. The controller I bought is just a cheap Amazon unit which cost $20. This system will keep your batteries topped up when boondocking. If you want 120vac, then you'll need an inverter which are fairly cheap at around $100.
We have two travel trailers, and this is the system I've been running in each for 4+ years, and we boondock 95% of the time.
As far as using the outlets in the trailer, you could, but you would need to disable the built-in charger of your TT. It will be easier to just plug whatever you need 120v for directly into the converter. I use a 2500 watt inverter when I need 120v, but usually we just use the 12v in the TT.
Just curious as to why you need the 120v in the first place? Other than the microwave or AC, there's no need for it because everything else can be run on 12vdc.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:52 AM   #3

Found a good video - this has helped!
Old 05-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Too expensive!
There's no rocket science to solar systems! These kits like the ones from Go Power are just not worth the money.
Get yourself a couple 6V deep cycle batteries which should cost around $400, one or two 100 watt panels which shouldn't cost more than $120 each, and a solar controller. The controller I bought is just a cheap Amazon unit which cost $20. This system will keep your batteries topped up when boondocking. If you want 120vac, then you'll need an inverter which are fairly cheap at around $100.
We have two travel trailers, and this is the system I've been running in each for 4+ years, and we boondock 95% of the time.
As far as using the outlets in the trailer, you could, but you would need to disable the built-in charger of your TT. It will be easier to just plug whatever you need 120v for directly into the converter. I use a 2500 watt inverter when I need 120v, but usually we just use the 12v in the TT.
Just curious as to why you need the 120v in the first place? Other than the microwave or AC, there's no need for it because everything else can be run on 12vdc.
Reason is that I do not ever camp with electricity nearby- So the unit I have has microwave and wall mount 8000 AC and I was exploring how (if I wanted to use them) Icould do so. Seems like a lot of work for limited pay off. I live in Colorado and with a small battery tender trickle charger I kept a battery topped off all the time using very little lights/furnace etc.