Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #1

Solar Help Needed: Boondocking now.

Put together a Renogy Solar Panel with controller. Every wire has been traced and is wired correctly, multiple times, multiple people.

When I connect the battery through the solar plug I get 12.4 volts through the wires. When I connect to the controller it appears that the 30 Amp circuit breaker at the trailer circuit breaker starts to click. It is the only "moving part" in the area, it is attached to the outside of a junction box. I replace the original fuse with the 30 amp breaker. The surge is so powerful it actually move the wires connected to the controller.

I am getting 19.8 volts from the solar panel but have not connected it to the controller.

Because of the clicking sound I am afraid to connect the system together.

Any ideas.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #2

The voltage at the panel sounds right, once it comes out of the controller at less than 14.2 it will be system/battery friendly.

Just make sure that 19 volts only goes to the controller and not to your batteries.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:15 AM   #3

I would by-pass the solar plug by wiring direct to the battery and see what voltage it is charging the battery. Just make sure you fuse the input. Then you will know if it is the trailer wiring or the solar panel/controller that is messing up.
Akraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #4

Thank you! I removed the breaker between solar controller and the solar panel. I reset the controller. Controller panel lights are now correct. I will trouble shoot the breakers, maybe that was the issue. TT battery at 12.1. Will check again in 4 hours. Thanks again.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #5

The solar panel should let it charge up to about 14.3 volts DC before it switches to a trickle. Once it switches it should decrease to about 13.8 volts until it is discharged or at night when there is very little light it will go down to about 12.7 volts.

Note: If no solar panel or charger is connected the battery will measure 12.7 volts fully charged and the most you should ever let it discharge is 12.1 volts. Below 12.1 volts can shorten the life of the batteries.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #6

If you are connecting/disconnecting make sure the controller gets power before the panels connect and vice versa on disconnect.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #7

Solar

Maybe the sudden jolt of power is somehow causing this - try covering the panels with a towel or face down on the ground when connecting and then expose them to the sun - it may not help but it won’t hurt to try and it’s free and easy Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar charging, solar controller