Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #1

Solar Panel

Hello everyone,
I am so new at this stuff so bear with me!
We have ordered a 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE trailer. It says "solar prep". Does that mean it will have a plug in the front of the trailer to plug in a portable solar panel (small one) just to keep the battery charged while sitting there camping?
Thanks for any advice/suggestions/comments.

Diesel
DieselDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Yes. It's for their portable panels. If you look up GoPower they offer 2 or 3 sizes. As per my phone call to Jayco a few weeks ago, the plug is wired to the batteries and can be used to maintain the batteries via portable GoPower solar. It won't do anything else
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

Solar Panel

Thanks a lot, you saved the day brother!

Diesel
Old 12-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

No problem. Have fun
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #5

Next question, Is Zamp the only portable panel (suitcase type) that has a waterproof controller? I checked go-power and Renogy.

thanks,
Diesel
Old 12-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDevilDog View Post
Next question, Is Zamp the only portable panel (suitcase type) that has a waterproof controller? I checked go-power and Renogy.

thanks,
Diesel
One other option, sorry I can't answer that question, but If you build your own portable setup by buying the components separately, you can save some pretty good money, + get exactly the charge controller that you want. I just took the 20A MPPT Charge Controller that came with my renogy kit and installed it in the pass through storage area.

But, if you want a 'water proof' controller that is attached to the panel, Amazon has a bunch of them, so you could pretty easily build your own... not sure if that's of any interest, but thought I'd mention it. As Gman mentioned, that plug isn't super useful in itself, so I probably wouldn't design a solar system around it. Wires are a bit on the small side, you could easily do better.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #7

Solar Panel

Thanks Bansai,
Good Info.

Diesel
Old 12-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #8

Solar Prep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDevilDog View Post
Hello everyone,
I am so new at this stuff so bear with me!
We have ordered a 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE trailer. It says "solar prep". Does that mean it will have a plug in the front of the trailer to plug in a portable solar panel (small one) just to keep the battery charged while sitting there camping?
Thanks for any advice/suggestions/comments.

Diesel
Hold on we have a 2016 Eagle with Solar Prep.We found very little info from Jayco. Called Go Power the roof plug in is good for up to a 30 amp controller.Which maxes out at a 290 watts for panels.That's what go Power claims.The cut out on the wall for the controller is simple enough.There is was one long wire which loops to the battery.Go Power had us cut the wire.Then you have a positive and negative connection for your controller.Are wires came wired in reverse from the factory.Be sure and test the polarity with a simple tester.We use a 275 watt panel 60 cell, and a 30 watt controller MPPT from Blue Sky.Spend the extra money on the controller its worth it.Wish Jayco offered a 40 amp prewired set up.Can never have enough Solar panels.Long story short we love the set up,hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
DTOP7.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #9

I used to drive for Chrysler when they had the proving grounds in Wittmann. Now they are in Yucca. thanks for the info

diesel
Old 12-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Hold on we have a 2016 Eagle with Solar Prep.We found very little info from Jayco. Called Go Power the roof plug in is good for up to a 30 amp controller.Which maxes out at a 290 watts for panels.That's what go Power claims.The cut out on the wall for the controller is simple enough.There is was one long wire which loops to the battery.Go Power had us cut the wire.Then you have a positive and negative connection for your controller.Are wires came wired in reverse from the factory.Be sure and test the polarity with a simple tester.We use a 275 watt panel 60 cell, and a 30 watt controller MPPT from Blue Sky.Spend the extra money on the controller its worth it.Wish Jayco offered a 40 amp prewired set up.Can never have enough Solar panels.Long story short we love the set up,hope this helps!
That's cool, but you have a completely different pre-wire setup on the Eagle. The eagle is wired up a LOT better than the OP's trailer, which is pre-wired like mine is. We don't have pre-wired roof plugs, just a wimpy plug on the A-Arm that is directly connected to the battery via some pretty small wires.

bdreinv, your pre-wire is actually pretty useful as delivered Just to clarify..
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #11

Hi. I bought a 2017 Eagle HT 5th wheel. Where is the roof plug for solar? I stood on the ladder and scanned the roof but did not see a plug?
Thank You.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #12

Solar Prep

My camper is an Eagle 2016 RSTS solar prep is on the passenger side next to bathroom vent.Its set up for a max of 290 watt panel and a 30 amp controller.At least thats what Go Power tells me.I piece mealed the project spent right at 500.00.Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
5.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote