Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #61

RSTS Ground

That is the only grounding location I could find with 8awg wires. There is a grounding location behind the batt disc with 12awg white wires. That is the location I grounded my controller but im going to try and run an 8awg wire to the ground location you see there. I toned that out and one of those wires does go to roof prep. Should I run a negative 8awg to battery as well or simply ground the load side to the same 8awg location as the panels?

Thanks for your help. Im making good progress now.

Tom
Timpey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #62

The ground you confirmed with the tone generator that goes to your roof solar needs to be connected to your controllers negative input.

Since you aren’t putting that many amps to your batteries 8awg from your controller negative output to the original ground is fine.

I also put a manual circuit breaker in from the positive of my panels and from my controller positive out before going back to my battery disconnect positive bus bar.
2018 F150 Platinum SC, FX4, 3.5-EB, Max tow - 12,700-Updates;Hensley Arrow 1400/14,000lbs, Battle Born Lithium 200ah, Victron Energy BMV-712 & VE 100/50, (6x160 ->960 Watts)- Flexible Renogy Solar, Micro Air Soft Start, RVlock, Westinghouse iGen4500DF, EMS-HW50C, Splendide WDC7100XC Washer/Dryer, Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL camera
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #63

2019 321 RSTS Solar Complete!!

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this thread and assisted me in getting this solar project complete. There is nothing simple about Jayco’s Rooftop solar prep. You would think it would be simply connect the 2 wires from the rooftop connection to the charge controller.

I have installed 2 100 watt solar panels with a Windy Nation P30L charge controller and used it to keep my 4 6v 230ah batteries wired to 460ah charged while boondocking. Thank you to GizmoPilot and Mustang65 for their expertise and tutelage. I could not have completed this without the help of this forum.

Thanks again,

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
0F236623-D88C-401C-83BD-246FE5688AFD.jpg   DD48F5B4-D91C-4A4D-9F47-9B47139FDA55.jpg   561E8686-3AAE-4274-8271-4727817FC7BE.jpg  
Timpey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #64

Good Job!

Happy to help
2018 F150 Platinum SC, FX4, 3.5-EB, Max tow - 12,700-Updates;Hensley Arrow 1400/14,000lbs, Battle Born Lithium 200ah, Victron Energy BMV-712 & VE 100/50, (6x160 ->960 Watts)- Flexible Renogy Solar, Micro Air Soft Start, RVlock, Westinghouse iGen4500DF, EMS-HW50C, Splendide WDC7100XC Washer/Dryer, Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL camera
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:54 PM   #65

So my apologies for jumping in here. I am new to forums and JUST NOW signed up and can't find out how to start my own thread. I bought a 2018 23RL. was supposed to come with solar on the side but apparently the previous owner removed the plug that was on the A-Frame. just diked the ground wire and left the nub still there. can't find where the + wire was connected. Is there supposed to be any kind of charge controller also that is supposed to have been built into this system?? and if so does anyone know where it would be. My delima, I want to get another plug and install it, obviously I know where the ground wire connects given an inch of the old one is still attached after being diked. but where do I hook up the positive wire? can't really see anything apparent there without tearing into the wiring harrness and there is no guarantee. do I just install a new plug, and connect the +/- wires and off we go (and where does the + connect) or is should there also be a charge controller built into the system that I need to see if he also removed?? thank you.
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:24 AM   #66

First find the area that best fits the thread you want to start, on the left side of the page near the top is a black tab with new thread.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:40 AM   #67

Janet H
Site Team

Registry
How to post a new question (thread)

Questions or a new topic thread can be started in the section of the forum that best fits the topic you have in mind. Once you have posted your question you can edit that post for a brief period of time.

1. Log into the forums.
2. Click on the "forums" tab at the top of the page. You may see a list of subforum/topic areas.
3. Click on the subforum that best suits your intended post. Once it opens you will see a list of threads already in that subforum. At the top of the list, over toward the left, you should see a "new thread" button.
4. Click on the new thread button and follow the prompts. If you want to include attachments with your post, use the "go advanced button to find extra formatting controls and attachment options.
5. Once you have crafted your post, click on the submit reply button below the text editor to submit your post to the board.

If you are a new member: if you are a new member and your post includes links it may take some time to appear. We moderate posts from new members (only) that contain links to help cut down on forum spam and hope that you understand this small inconvenience.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Check with Go Power on what your max panel size. On our 16 Eagle up top is 300 watts.The another temp plug in on the side of our camper for another 100 watt panel.Remember there are limitations for your controller! We pieced our system together for 1/2 the price of Go Power,they also did not offer MPPT controllers.Thanks
I have a similar 5th wheel, the 2016 Eagle HT 26.5 BHS. Where did you find the wattage for the connectors? I know there is one on the roof and one on the side, but didn't know they were different wattages. Maybe there is a label or something, but my trailer is at the storage lot across town so I can't go look right now.
ElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:36 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
All you get is a connector on the roof, a connector on the side (for a small self contained, portable unit), the wiring to the batteries and (in some cases) a small auto breaker.
You need, the solar panels, mounting, solar controller, fuses/breakers and disconnects and decent batteries. Some of that depends on the size of the system you want.

Lots of info from members here and lots of pictures too.

Here's my 520watt setup. (Because I like to show pictures of it..lol)

Two 160w panels

Morningstar MPPT controller

Morningstar EMC1 Ethernet module connected to a wifi router

Remote moniter

Some breakers and what-nots
. So, the wiring from the panel attachment wire runs to corner in top front compartment? Hidden without removing angle wall in cornet? Have been interested in solar to go along with my propane Genny! Thanks for your post!
Bwanajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:08 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwanajohn View Post
. So, the wiring from the panel attachment wire runs to corner in top front compartment? Hidden without removing angle wall in cornet? Have been interested in solar to go along with my propane Genny! Thanks for your post!
The wires are in different spots in different units.
If yours still has the GoPro sticker somewhere, they are behind there.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:53 AM   #71

Quote:
The wires are in different spots in different units.
If yours still has the GoPro sticker somewhere, they are behind there.
Question: what’s the router and other part?
Old 06-17-2021, 07:08 AM   #72

The other part is an interface so info on what the Morningstar is up to and setting parameters can be used and displayed on a phone or computer.
The higher model of the controller I have has that part built in.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:24 PM   #73

Thumbs up

Quote:
The other part is an interface so info on what the Morningstar is up to and setting parameters can be used and displayed on a phone or computer.
The higher model of the controller I have has that part built in.
Thank you for all the input! Well needed!!!
Old 06-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #74

Jay Feather Solar

I have a Jay Feather 27BHB and where there is a mounting point in the bedroom for the controller i had to mount a two port cable block on the roof and run it to that point where i put a solar monitor that monitors the controller that is located in the belly storage and mounted two 160 watt panels on the roof.
Attleboro1 is offline   Reply With Quote