Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #1

Solar panel install on the trailer roof

Folks
I intend to mount 400W of solar panels on my roof next spring. I have a 2019 White Hawk 27RB. The trailer is pre-wired for solar so there is a connector on the roof now that will bring my power into the trailer.

I have some panel mounting questions that I would appreciate some help with.

1. Can I screw into the normal roof plywood and be secure? (I suspect it would be desirable to find a roof stud/frame to screw to but the positioning and spacing of brackets may not lend themselves to screwing into a stud/frame piece in most cases.)
2. What specification of wood screw including length should I use to secure the brackets to the roof?
3. Given the slight curvature of the roof will I need to bend the bracket bases a bit to stay flush with roof?
4. Is Dicor Self-leveling Lap Sealant what I should use to make my installation water proof?
5. Anyone who has installed panels on a roof similar to the 27RB, I would love to hear your experiences and panel dimensions you were able to install . I think I need to do a parallel run of four 100W panels as with the OEM fans/antennae/AC etc on the roof I believe I’m somewhat restricted by panel physical size in the various spaces available.
6. Any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some guidance.
BeGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #2

Here's a link to a thread that I plan on following to get my solar panels installed - https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...oof-76021.html

Finding studs is your best bet if you can. Contact Jayco for a schematic of you trailer's framing.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #3

Regarding screwing into the roof: I could only get the front attachments screwed to a rafter. The back ones were at a position where there was no rafter. When screwing directly into the roof decking, I didn't feel confident with the amount of bite I felt when fastening the screws. Therefore, I used well nuts. Now, it seems like I could rip out a plywood panel with the solar panel attached to it, instead of ripping the solar panel out of the roof.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:58 AM   #4

Thanks Folks .. I’ll check out that link and appreciate the tip on well nuts
B
Old 12-02-2020, 06:48 AM   #5

When I installed mine I felt I got good bite into the plywood and I don’t see a problem with them staying put. The dicor self leveling is also what I used to seal the penetrations. Put some dicor between the roof and the mounting bracket where the screw goes through. It wouldn’t hurt to also do some around the edge of each bracket. Once the dicor dries that will also help hold the panels in place helping the screws. Do you know what brand of panels you’re going to use? Which controller? Make sure that you use a fuse between the panels and the controller and then another one between the controller and the batteries. I used circuit breakers instead of fuses so it’s easier to disconnect the controller. Always disconnect the controller from the panels before disconnecting the batteries.

Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:50 AM   #6

The RVing with solar group in here can be helpful too.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/g...ith+solar.html
Weimaraner Duke
Old 12-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #7

Mine have been screwed to the roof for just under 5 years now, no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
7691A2FF-A5B1-4BF3-A1E0-07908565F8FC.jpg  
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
When I installed mine I felt I got good bite into the plywood and I don’t see a problem with them staying put. The dicor self leveling is also what I used to seal the penetrations. Put some dicor between the roof and the mounting bracket where the screw goes through. It wouldn’t hurt to also do some around the edge of each bracket. Once the dicor dries that will also help hold the panels in place helping the screws. Do you know what brand of panels you’re going to use? Which controller? Make sure that you use a fuse between the panels and the controller and then another one between the controller and the batteries. I used circuit breakers instead of fuses so it’s easier to disconnect the controller. Always disconnect the controller from the panels before disconnecting the batteries.

MichaelO
This looks like a very neat install. I don’t know what panels as yet nor what controller. Thanks for the tips on breaker installs. What size and length of screw did you use? I believe plywood on roof is only 3/8 so I will try to hit a truss.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Mine have been screwed to the roof for just under 5 years now, no issues.
Screwby
What type and size of screw did you use? Did you make sure you screwed into trusses or into roof plywood ( 3/8” on my trailer)?
Old 12-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeGin View Post
MichaelO
This looks like a very neat install. I don’t know what panels as yet nor what controller. Thanks for the tips on breaker installs. What size and length of screw did you use? I believe plywood on roof is only 3/8 so I will try to hit a truss.
This is the setup I used.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07...b_b_asin_title
I used the screws that came with it. I don’t remember the length of them, but they worked good. There’s no worries about coming through to the inside with the way the roof is built.
You can see the upper and lower studs of the rafters that make up the roof of my trailer.
Weimaraner Duke
Old 12-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #11

Thanks MickaelO for roof structure
Old 12-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #12

Here's a link to my solar install similar to what you're after.

No problems with missing the trusses..

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post874080
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #13

Nice job Distracto .. appreciate the input
Old 12-15-2020, 02:49 PM   #14

I have a 2020 Whitehawk 27RB I installed just 1 100 watt panel on so far. I didn't hit any studs and have not had an issue after ~10k miles. Do you have the sticker showing the location of the cables? I didn't, mine was located in the small wall that separates the master bedroom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200928_123643.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	66301

Name:	20200927_084548#1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	66302

Name:	top of trailer.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	66303
oscarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #15

Oscarel. Thank you for those pics. I do have a solar sticker in that same spot and I was hoping the wires were ‘really there’ when I opened the panel. My trailer is in storage and I won’t get to access those wires until spring. I was thinking of mounting the solar charge controller on the bedroom side of the wall just to keep the living side a little cleaner looking. My controller will have Bluetooth so displays will be available on my phone.

QUESTIONS:
1 - When you had your panel open did you see any reason that would negate me mounting the controller on the bedroom side of the wall?
2 - Were the wires 8 awg per Jayco spec? I read one fellow found only 10 awg when he ‘opened’ the wall.

Thanks again. You have a neat install and you finding the wires where expected makes me feel better lol
Old 12-15-2020, 08:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Oscarel. Thank you for those pics. I do have a solar sticker in that same spot and I was hoping the wires were ‘really there’ when I opened the panel. My trailer is in storage and I won’t get to access those wires until spring. I was thinking of mounting the solar charge controller on the bedroom side of the wall just to keep the living side a little cleaner looking. My controller will have Bluetooth so displays will be available on my phone.

QUESTIONS:
1 - When you had your panel open did you see any reason that would negate me mounting the controller on the bedroom side of the wall?
2 - Were the wires 8 awg per Jayco spec? I read one fellow found only 10 awg when he ‘opened’ the wall.

Thanks again. You have a neat install and you finding the wires where expected makes me feel better lol
I can check tomorrow on the gauge. I got lucky cause I did not have the label. The siding is the same on either side, like 1/8". I put it on that side so we wouldn't have any extra lights in the bedroom.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #17

Good point on the lights. I hate led lights glowing in the dark eg. I use electrical tape over my stereo amps led’s etc lol. I’m using the Victron SmartSolar which only has an indicator LED for charge mode. I’ll get my tape out if I put it on the bedroom side
Old 12-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Good point on the lights. I hate led lights glowing in the dark eg. I use electrical tape over my stereo amps led’s etc lol. I’m using the Victron SmartSolar which only has an indicator LED for charge mode. I’ll get my tape out if I put it on the bedroom side
Tape works! Wife said it also would be a talking point for guests :-). The 100 watt has been great to keep batteries charged while not using the trailer. I will be adding more later.

Off topic but have you had any major problems? We're having a problem with the slide not working, loud grinding sound when extending or retracting. It goes in for repair at end of month.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #19

The only problem I had was the outside stove/sink door was warped and wouldn’t lock securely. Dealer replaced it under warranty. All in all the trailer has been a blessing for us with Covid ... taking your home with you can’t be beat!
Old 12-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #20

I’ve done four systems for myself, family and friends. I believe the easiest, fastest, safest, most secure attachment is using rubber jacketed well-nuts. They are self sealing and only require a 3/8” dia by 7/8” deep hole for each screw. I use stainless steel screws with them. You can buy them on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
F262A392-F3C4-4CCA-8B69-13DA46971422.jpg  
James AO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, panel, solar