Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #1

Solar Pre-Wire

We have a 2020 Eagle HT that came with the Go Green Solar Prewire. It has a connector on the roof and there is a decal on the wall just inside the door for the controller to be mounted.

Has anyone ever tried to use this? Are there two sets of wires behind the decal going to the roof and to the control section in the front or is it a continuous run?

I have a really nice MPPT controller but its isn't designed as a decorative wall mount and I was hoping to put it in the front.

My ultimate plan is to have a set of panels permanently mounted on the roof and also be able to use a pair of portable one when we are parked in shaded areas.

I have looked at the Go Green system and the Zamp ones (the dealer stock Zamp). A pair of the Zamp 170W panels looks like the ideal starting point.

I have replaced the standard battery with a 100A solar rated AGM and I am considering adding a second one on the front tray. I figure that this should be enough energy to run the Microwave, TV, or coffee maker without having to run the generator. I am not ready to jump to LiPo batteries at this time.
tbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #2

I purchased a 2021 212qbw which was pre-wired for solar. I did not want to mount a controller where the sticker is on the wall. I tracked down where the wires connected from the roof, they were connected to the main ground and to the +ve breaker connector.
I disconnected +ve and -ve and connected them to a controller which I mounted in a box close to the batteries. Works great, just need to be brave to remove the sticker that is on the wall.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:14 PM   #3

Did the wires go to the main distribution panel or did they go down next to the battery / vehicle area? I'll look at it this weekend.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:25 PM   #4

They went to the front of the trailer close to the battery box. -ve went to a wire nut with a bunch of other -ve's which were grounded in the little black box by the battery. The +ve was connected to the battery side of the row of three circuit breakers, located next to the black connection box.
I had to use an electrical meter to verify which wire went where, you will need to disconnect the -ve's from the Wire Nut to make sure you have the correct one. Same with the +ve, remove the wires from the top side of the Circuit Breakers one at a time until you find the correct one.
The circuit breakers don't look anything like normal circuit breakers. I had to search online to figure out what they were. They just look like connectors with flimsy red rubber covers on them.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:41 PM   #5

Great. I hope mine are the same implementation. The circuit breakers are probably automatically resetting style.

Tags
boon docking power, solar power