Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #1

Solar roof wires/router location

Hello all,
2020 284bhok. Trying to locate where the wires terminate for the "roof ready" solar hook up. The solar connection at the ground level are connected and working - when I hooked the panels to the roof connector it seems they are not wired into the system.
Also, does anyone know where the actual RV router is that I connect to with my app to operate some functions on the trailer (the One System I believe)? Since it's a 12v supply I was curious if I could power it off and on at the unit so as to not draw on the system - and not have to turn my main RV power switch off. Thank you.
firepaul23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #2

There should be a sticker somewhere on the wall that says solar ready that you put the charge controller, my understanding is the wires are behind that sticker. And from there they tie back into the system.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFeather24BH View Post
There should be a sticker somewhere on the wall that says solar ready that you put the charge controller, my understanding is the wires are behind that sticker. And from there they tie back into the system.
Yes, I am aware of where to plug my panels into - I have a solar connection on the roof and solar connection on the side. When I connect to the roof the controller shows no connection (and is confirmed when I meter the battery). When I connect to the side solar connectors the controller shows connection and charging and is confirmed by metering the battery. So, I assume the top solar connections are not connected into the system and I was wondering if they are terminated into a coil and just hanging somewhere and waiting to be wired into the system. Thank you for your thoughts. :-)
Old 11-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by firepaul23 View Post
Yes, I am aware of where to plug my panels into - I have a solar connection on the roof and solar connection on the side. When I connect to the roof the controller shows no connection (and is confirmed when I meter the battery). When I connect to the side solar connectors the controller shows connection and charging and is confirmed by metering the battery. So, I assume the top solar connections are not connected into the system and I was wondering if they are terminated into a coil and just hanging somewhere and waiting to be wired into the system. Thank you for your thoughts. :-)
The roof solar prep is different from the front ground solar connector, which is designed for a portable panel with its own controller. The roof system is designed to handle higher wattage panels, which require a separate charge controller. The label referred to previously, located on an interior wall, is the location where the roof solar wires feed to. Those wires are cut and capped so you can connect to the charge controller you need to install where the label sticker is located. When connected to the controller, the current goes through it an then on to the battery.
You cannot mount solar panels on the roof and feed them directly to the battery, it needs a controller in the circuit. Assuming yours is the Go-Power label, you can research the components you will need on their website. However, you do not have to use Go-Power brand. The pre-wired cables for the solar can be used with any brand as long as you do not exceed their amperage rating.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
The roof solar prep is different from the front ground solar connector, which is designed for a portable panel with its own controller. The roof system is designed to handle higher wattage panels, which require a separate charge controller. The label referred to previously, located on an interior wall, is the location where the roof solar wires feed to. Those wires are cut and capped so you can connect to the charge controller you need to install where the label sticker is located. When connected to the controller, the current goes through it an then on to the battery.
You cannot mount solar panels on the roof and feed them directly to the battery, it needs a controller in the circuit. Assuming yours is the Go-Power label, you can research the components you will need on their website. However, you do not have to use Go-Power brand. The pre-wired cables for the solar can be used with any brand as long as you do not exceed their amperage rating.
Copy - thank you very much, that's the exact info I needed.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:37 PM   #6

I have a new 264BH and that sticker for the solar controller is forward on the left side wall near the bed (as you stand in the trailer looking towards the tongue) at about eye level. Hope you find it! Please share photos of what you find there. I would suppose two pairs of hot and ground but lets see...
"Use it or loose it."
SkipperD is offline   Reply With Quote