Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #1

solar vs generator vs inverter generator

Yesterday we bought a 2017 WhiteHawk 23MRB. Need advice, trying to decide if we should do a 160 Watt solar panel (dealer would install before initial pickup of TT for $1,100) or stick to generator. Also what is better, generator or inverter generator. Will be doing some dry camping. First time owners of a TT, past had a pop-up so we are rookies in the TT living. Thanks for any advice! So excited to begin our adventures.
CherylD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #2

As far as generators go, use the inverter generator. Much quieter, even if more expensive. The neighbors will be appreciative.

I am looking to install a 320W solar panel. The panel is $250. The MPPT controller is $190 and parts are another $200 or less. For $640, I get twice the panel for much less money.

I enjoy modding my trailer and look forward to doing the work. It make take a couple of days but beats sitting at my desk at work.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylD View Post
what is better, generator or inverter generator
Solar can be a complicated beast that requires a lot of research. The amount of solar needed can only be determined by how much electric you will be using. I would advise checking out YouTube which has a wealth of info on RV solar + generators

Generator vs. inverter generator: a conventional portable generator, creates alternating current (AC) power, and an inverter generator produces direct current (DC) power and converts it to AC power. When you convert DC power to AC power, you end up with a smoother electrical signal, which is safer for electronics and sensitive equipment like computers.

Here are a couple YouTube videos to get you started on your research:

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #4

No question, inverter generator. Quite and clean power. Honda, Yamaha, Champion take your pick.

On solar, you can get much more for less with a little DIY.
Also, consider that if you roof mount your solar and park in shade to keep the camper cool, it is useless. But, portable panels require setup.
I have 100watt portable. Will likely add another portable panel and 100-200 watts on the roof. wired correctly, if the roof panels are in the shade, I will still get output from the portables.
Make sure the charge controller is near the batteries. not many feet away. Make sure wire sizes are correct to keep voltage drops to a minimum. I have seen many dealer installed solar setups that cost way too much and the design means you get WAY less output than you should. (Undersized wires, panels mounted on the roof so that they are shaded by the AC, crappy solar charge controllers, etc.)
Old 03-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #5

Also, consider having the dealer install 2 6volt golf cart batteries instead of 1 group 24 12 volt if you will do much boondocing at all. small additional cost for over double the battery capacity.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #6

You will need the battery bank have enough capacity to run all the things you want to run when off-grid. This will most likely include a Power Inverter to produce 120VAC to power up alot of the appliances and Home Entertainment items you also will be wanting to run off grid..

Once you get the battery bank and the supporting converter/charger and wiring going then you will want a way to keep it charged up. This is where a generator like the 2KW Honda will come into play. The other way to charge things up would be to use solar panels.

Just running directly off a large generator has its downside being the noise you will be living with and alot of places where you will be located will have generator run time restrictions in place. It also consumes fuel...

Running a bunch of large solar panels will produce alot of 12VDC power to keep your battery bank charged up. Its downside of course is always being in high sun and when it gets dark no output... Solar only works for you having a battery bank to run you appliances and then the solar will keep the batteries in charged state when in high sun.

The only real backup you are going to find useful is the generator. It works no matter what the conditions are...

just things to consider here...

We increased our battery bank bank and DC system first and run all the things we want to run from 6PM to 11PM each evening when camping off the grid. Then the next morning when allowed we will run our 2KW Honda Generator for three hours letting the on-board converter/charger recharge our battery bank back up to its 90% charge state. Doing this allows us to use the battery bank again for the next day/night run off the batteries...

We are just now thinking about solar panels and will only use them to recharge our battery banks during the high sun days... This will cut down on the generator use time...

If all you want to run when off grid is some lights then you won't much power at night to do that by changing all the lights over to the LED types...

Got to do some planning on what you guys want to do...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #7

If you get either an inverter generator or an electronic inverter, make sure you get a pure sine wave unit.

The original simple rotating motor-driven generators produced nice smooth natural sine wave power. Electronics like this. But as their rpm fluctuates, so does the voltage and frequency of their electrical output. Electronics don't like this. Inverter generators were created to solve this voltage and frequency fluctuation issue, but they produced a modified sine wave, which wasn't any better for electronics. It was notchy and often interfered with the devices they were meant to power. Then along came the pure sine wave inverter technology, and this combines the best of both worlds. It's more money, but your electronics will thank you.

If you buy a rotating motor-driven generator, or an electronic inverter, or both, make sure you get units with a guaranteed pure sine wave output.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #8

I would never get a dealer to install a solar package. They charge a lot and they probably won't install it correctly. If you don't have the means or the will to do it yourself take it to someone that specializes in solar installs and has a good reputation.

$1100 for 160watts of solar is expensive. Does that include everything?
Panel wired and installed?
PWM or MPPT charge controller?
Upgraded battery?
Battery monitor?

If that is a complete system installed and working it is not that bad of a price. However you will probably want more than 160 watts. If the dealer does the install make sure they oversize the wires, use short runs and make sure you have the capability of installing extra panels at a later date without having to rewire everything.
Get all the specs from the dealer on what exactly they would be installing and we can help you out a little more.

As far as generator vs solar....I haven't used our generator since installing solar. We used it for one season and I didn't like it. I didn't like the noise or smell of exhaust and I really didn't like subjecting our neighbors to it. Especially when they were tenters.

Give us a bit more information and we are happy to help.

Cheers
Old 03-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #9

I wont go into the technicalities of this. No sense repeating or replaying what others have already said so well.
Just my 2 cents. A 160 Watt solar panel is great for keeping batteries topped off when boondocking. It's a good add, but not for the $1100 the dealer wants to charge you.

We primarily boondock (often times, we are away from campgrounds, and away from cell phone coverage etc.) We have both solar and a small inverter generator, as well we a large standard generator. Which one we utilize depends on length of time and location we will be.

My personal recommendation: get a solar panel (just not the dealers), and get an inverter generator at the very least. In fact I would start with the inverter generator before the solar set up. You will adjust what you need/use the more you head out and do things. However, I think you may find the inverter generator could come in handy around the house too.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylD View Post
Yesterday we bought a 2017 WhiteHawk 23MRB. Need advice, trying to decide if we should do a 160 Watt solar panel (dealer would install before initial pickup of TT for $1,100) or stick to generator. Also what is better, generator or inverter generator. Will be doing some dry camping. First time owners of a TT, past had a pop-up so we are rookies in the TT living. Thanks for any advice! So excited to begin our adventures.
Congratulations on the new White Hawk and welcome to the forum.

In my opinion, even with solar you'll need a generator (inverter generator) as a backup for cloudy days or camping in the shade. In addition, if you want to run the TT air conditioning or microwave when dry camping, you'll need an inverter generator large enough for that (or a couple of smaller inverter generators connected with a parallel kit).

We want to have solar someday, but we bought our backup generator first. We can add solar later, but there is a lot for us to learn about solar before we 'pull the trigger' on that. In our opinion, there's not really a down side to learning more and waiting.

As mentioned previously, the price from your dealer doesn't sound like a great deal and may not be the most knowledgeable about solar systems.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #11

Thank you, Thank you to all who responded about my solar/generator question! This is awesome information and so helpful. We are going to do research thru your suggestions and talk to the dealer. I think we might try the inverter generator first on our first trips and see how it goes . . . since we are so new to TT camping and tell the dealer no go on the solar for now.
CherylD is offline   Reply With Quote