Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #41

There was a poster not long ago that said his black tank had a belly next to the mounting straps and would not empty fully always left 1/3 or so of the tank when dumped. Maybe you have something similar to were your poop stays and the water moves to the low spot. Crawl under and look at your black tank and make sure its flat with no belly.
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #42

This is the exact problem I have with Jayco Eagle. And this is the reason I've suggested installing a macerator pump to recirculate in this style of holding tank. Haven't done it yet but will soon.
Iadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:04 AM   #43

We use 2/3 cup Calgon, 1/3 cup Dawn, scoop of Happy Camper with 2-3 gallons of water for our 25 gallon black tank. We carry nine 1 cup plastic bottles of Calgon/Dawn solution and after pouring one down the toilet we rinse the bottle into the 25 gallon grey tank. Then we add the Happy Camper solution with 2-3 gallons of water. During use we run plenty of water and no toilet paper into the toilet. Have had bountiful brown black tank flushes and no problems so far. When I run out of Happy Camper I will probably try Borax instead.

We wash dishes in a tub that fits perfectly into our sink. All food prep, dish washing and rinse water gets poured into the toilet, just two handy steps from the kitchen sink in our little rig. Almost all the grey water tank is from non-food sources and has never emitted an odor. The drain screens someone mentioned are super handy, but I need to find or fashion one for the shower, especially now that we are being more self-contained.

On the last stop of a trip we rinse the black tank until it is essentially clear and few if any brown clumps slide past the fascinating clear observation section of sewer pipe. We then fill the black tank with the solution and at least three gallons of water during storage. During winterization we dump a half gallon or so of antifreeze down the toilet. So far it has kept the sewer system safe.

Our only black tank problem came after the installation of our fantastic fan. In our little trailer the black tank vent is right in front of the fan intake. At times the fan will draw in a slight black tank odor, similar to driving past some city water treatment plants. It's not a big problem, but I'm looking for a solution.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballardpf View Post
We use TR Bowlin's Geo Method - works great for us.

https://www.trbowlin.com/wp-content/...Geo-Method.pdf

To clean the level sensors, it says "Use like Normal" Does that mean to continue flushing as normal or put into use? I can't imagine I want to start my weekend with a half full tank.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
To clean the level sensors, it says "Use like Normal" Does that mean to continue flushing as normal or put into use? I can't imagine I want to start my weekend with a half full tank.
It means, use the toilet during your trip. Then when you flush the tank redo the procedure.
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:33 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by qs271a View Post
It doesn't sound to me like you're dealing with a problem of a poop Pile in your tank. this sounds more like you just need to add more water when you go to flush. When my tank gets full it's probably three-quarters full of water when I go to dump it. There is a position on the flush pedal of all RV toilets, that will allow it to fill up with more water without dumping it into the tank. Every time we go poopy we add extra water with it before we fully flush it down. This creates almost a vacuum action when you flush. This should take care of your problem. That is how these are actually designed to work, but most people don't know how to do it correctly. The rule of thumb is to always put a lot of extra water down into your tank which makes emptying the tank much quicker and more efficient. Hope this helps.
X2

You are about the only guy that read the original posters actual question. It's nothing to do with a problem draining the black tank, it is getting the solids from the toilet down to the black tank. Add water to the bowl before you go #2.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:49 AM   #47

I can't believe all I am reading. 46 post on how to use a toilet. It must have water in the bowl before you start just like the one at home!!! It's toilet just like any other toilet! It is also designed to accept toilet paper just like any other toilet! The tank is a "Holding Tank". Not a "septic system". No rid X. No need for time consuming "GEO Methods". 5 gals of water in the tank after you dump. TST chemical pods of some other treatment after 5 gal water fill. DONE! Nothing more to do. No disgusting TP in the wast basket! The Toilet is designed and manufactured to accept it!!!!

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:06 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswanson69 View Post
I just noticed last week that sometimes solid waste sits directly below the toilet and will not move down into the black tank without manually dumping quantities of water down toilet. There's good pitch to that tube because all liquid drains down into the tank right away. I'm thinking of removing the toilet, cleaning that area well, and spraying it with some high quality silicone spray to make the area slipperier. Anybody have this issue? Remedies?

Thanks
I have no problems as I always put at least 1/3 tank of water into the tank after I empty it along with a treatment product. However due to the design of these tanks I find I have to do at least three black tank flushes by filling tank to 2/3 full then opening the valve. We have a permanent setup at a seniors camp and I use clear polycarbonate connections to visually see when the tank is empty. It is amazing that when you think the tank is clean more effluent comes shooting out. One thing the industry should consider is a tank designed with a flat but sloping tank bottom possibly formed with a tapered trough to the outlet, have curved corners and the whole tank coated with teflon. Guess I'm dreaming - that would cost a few bucks more.
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:08 AM   #49

Ice cubes in tank

Before we leave on a trip- we will put about 20# of ice cubes in the black water tank and drain when we get to the camp ground.
paulms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:30 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswanson69 View Post
I just noticed last week that sometimes solid waste sits directly below the toilet and will not move down into the black tank without manually dumping quantities of water down toilet. There's good pitch to that tube because all liquid drains down into the tank right away. I'm thinking of removing the toilet, cleaning that area well, and spraying it with some high quality silicone spray to make the area slipperier. Anybody have this issue? Remedies?

Thanks
I’ve never had that problem. My toilet sits over the black tank and anything in the toilet drops straight down into the tank. My last trailer was the same way. Are you saying yours doesn’t drop straight down, but angles off?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:38 AM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulms View Post
Before we leave on a trip- we will put about 2# of ice cubes in the black water tank and drain when we get to the camp ground.
I've done the same thing, but used one of those 20-25lb bags you can buy in Sam'a Club or some of the larger grocery and stores like Dollar General. If I got lucky (which wasn't too often), even the tank's water level indicator would work again for a while.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
I’ve never had that problem. My toilet sits over the black tank and anything in the toilet drops straight down into the tank. My last trailer was the same way. Are you saying yours doesn’t drop straight down, but angles off?
Many 5er's have two 45 degree turns and a 3' run between the toilet and the tank.

Most trailers the toilet is sitting on the tank.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:49 AM   #53

Thanks Michael- I dropped a zero S/b 20#. I know what you mean on being lucky about the sensor working.
paulms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulms View Post
Thanks Michael- I dropped a zero S/b 20#. I know what you mean on being lucky about the sensor working.
I corrected the pounds error from 2 to 20 in your previous post.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCOCRBO View Post
I have no problems as I always put at least 1/3 tank of water into the tank after I empty it along with a treatment product. However due to the design of these tanks I find I have to do at least three black tank flushes by filling tank to 2/3 full then opening the valve.
I have to ask, what does this have to do with the problem the OP is talking about? People are going off on how to clean the black tank, he didn't mention having a problem with that. His solids get stuck between the stool and the black tank.

People read forums, but they don't read forums....
Old 08-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
I have to ask, what does this have to do with the problem the OP is talking about? People are going off on how to clean the black tank, he didn't mention having a problem with that. His solids get stuck between the stool and the black tank.

People read forums, but they don't read forums....
If the toilet is over the tank there is no place for it to get stuck. It's a straight shot down. If he sees a poo pile he needs to use water in the bowl. Now if he lays down a log like I sometimes do......Well water ain't gonna help. he needs a big stick.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:32 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
If the toilet is over the tank there is no place for it to get stuck. It's a straight shot down. If he sees a poo pile he needs to use water in the bowl. Now if he lays down a log like I sometimes do......Well water ain't gonna help. he needs a big stick.
Well, cswanson69, will you please shine a flashlight down the stinkhole and let everyone know if you have a poo pile buildup? Or if you have a straight drop to the tank or an angled run? Then we can all be on the same path to trying to help you out.

Where is this poo getting stuck, in plain sight or sight unseen?
Old 08-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #58

I see you didn't get a good reply to your question. My tube under the toilet does get some debris on it and it is straight down. So if yours is at a slight angle I understand the problem. Myself I think what I would do is use the shower head for a water source to rinse the tube, if it'll reach and a long handle brush. Not the most pleasant job. The other comments are great for buildup in the tank. Always keep some water in the black tank. I've heard people say if there are lumps stuck to the tank floor then use large ice cubes and a few gallons of water. Go for a drive to get the ice and water moving around and that'll help clean thing up.
lorendad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #59
VKC

Partially push flush valve and allow more water into toilet before using and that will help with the flush
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote