Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2020, 08:46 PM   #1

Post Solution: battery disconnect switch installed

I happened to be roaming YouTube and saw a video of a gentleman installing a battery disconnect switch to his battery box. This concept was clearly a solution to alleviating the constant battery drain while my camper sits in my yard. I particularly like the type of switch he used: extra key, cap to keep the elements out when key is not inserted, product quality, etc. Attached is a picture of the switch mentioned above purchased through Amazon.
The next consideration was where to place the switch. The battery cover had limited space and, as a YouTuber mentioned, required grinding down the switch: I Felt uncomfortable with this scenario. The second alternative was drilling an inch and a half hole through the forward support beam along with two associated screw holes to mount the switch: I was adverse to the idea of potentially impacting the structural integrity of the camper. The solution I selected was to install a plate between two crossmembers supporting the battery box. This choice provided easier access to the switch, lowered mpact of intrusion from elements, and maintained tructural integrity. Attached are three pictures with the switch installed. Obviously, if you have any questions, please feel free to reply to this post and I will respond. Hoping someone finds this of value to enhance they’re camping experience.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   E8B516EF-EC04-4529-B239-5E9C4BD43A47.jpg   0457A976-4512-4007-ACB1-86BC73B80238.jpg   253AC1AE-B6FB-4D13-A19C-139AD12F9FFF.jpg  
fdeaners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #2

“Voice to text” got me again!
Old 07-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #3

If you use circuit breakers they double as a disconnect and protection between your bank / power converter/ inverter/ solar.
Attached Thumbnails
lztSKqP.jpg  

Fulltime Boondockers
2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi
2020 Jayflight SLX8 245RL Rocky mountain/ Baja
600w solar (+100 portable), 450 ah bank
m2bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #4

Thumbs up Battery disconnect switch

You clearly have a more “ Beefed up“ TT. Our TT doesn’t currently use solar, and the inverter is the standard inverter placed in the camper. I cannot disagree with your solution, but my intent was to provide an alternative that seems reasonable, inexpensive and simple to perform. Thank you for your insight thereby providing users a more sound alternative.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #5

I put one in the battery box lid very similar to that one. Third time I used it the key broke off and I had to replace it. Now I have this one, I have to open the box by loosening the strap but not that big a deal.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:06 PM   #6

Battery disconnect switch

Didn’t see that one coming! Another interesting idea! Clearly our users have options to chose from. Thanks
Old 07-30-2020, 02:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeaners View Post
You clearly have a more “ Beefed up“ TT. Our TT doesn’t currently use solar, and the inverter is the standard inverter placed in the camper. I cannot disagree with your solution, but my intent was to provide an alternative that seems reasonable, inexpensive and simple to perform. Thank you for your insight thereby providing users a more sound alternative.
That is a very nice clean install. I'm impressed with your work. There is already a breaker inline in the wiring. a second one would just be redondent.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #8

Wanted to thank you for your candor.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:40 AM   #9

I use the same as RodgerR. Simple and effective. Simple hookup.You can get it that's made for the rv wire connection with the eyelet connector. I mounted it on the neg. post. Works great
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I put one in the battery box lid very similar to that one. Third time I used it the key broke off and I had to replace it. Now I have this one, I have to open the box by loosening the strap but not that big a deal.
Regarding the key breaking off, I was concerned with that possible issue also. So I bought two switches rather than just one. In addition, when I relocated the negative wire, I made no modifications to the original wire so I could reconnect it directly to the battery’s negative post if failure occurred during Camping.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #11

Great install and great idea. An outside - easy to get to - shut off is something that should be on everyone's list of things to do to their TT.

I put one on my battery box so as I change trailers I don't have to reinstall them.

I like having one so i can let my solar or battery tender properly manage my batteries rather than crossing my fingers that the TT's power center is doing a good job of maintaining my batteries. I also like it for when I dry camp and don't want parasitic draws draining my batteries when out for day trips away form the TT in the campsite.
Attached Thumbnails
20200704_111012.jpg  
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, disconnect, switch